Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2001 1:09:37 PM EDT
[URL]dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010629/pl/politics_nra_dc_1.html[/URL]

Friday June 29 5:34 PM ET

Court Rules NRA Violated Campaign Finance Law

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal appeals court ruled on Friday that the National Rifle
                               Association (NRA) broke federal law two decades ago when it gave its political action committee
                               thousands of dollars for election-related expenses.

The gun lobby violated a 1971 federal election law barring corporations from contributing to federal
                               campaigns by giving $37,833 to its Political Victory Fund, then getting reimbursed, the court said.

``Permitting reimbursement arrangements such as the one at issue here would thus compromise the
                               separation of corporate and fund treasuries -- a separation that both Congress and the Supreme Court
                               consider essential to preventing the use of corporate wealth to fund political advocacy,'' the court
                               wrote.

The Political Victory Fund spent the money on direct mail campaigns, newspaper advertising and
                               campaigns for and against individual campaigns.

The ruling came after the Federal Election Commission (news - web sites) (FEC) said the NRA had
                               illegally paid the Political Victory Fund during the 1978, 1980 and 1982 federal election cycles.

The court said the NRA was a potential conduit for corporate funding of political activities in 1978 and
                               1982 because companies had donated substantial amounts of money to the group in those years. It
                               said donations in 1980 were insufficient to constitute a violation.

The NRA had claimed its activities were protected political speech under the First Amendment.

The NRA and the FEC declined to comment on the case.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Two decades ago? I wasn't a member then so it wasn't my fault.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't there a statute of limitations on this kind of stuff?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You see you guys join the NRA and it's basically just an organazation that has no respect for the rule of law, and they turn you all into criminals and teach you how to kill children.  Where's Al when we need him?  He would help save the precious children. [smoke]

EDITED BY JANET RENO & FBI SWAT
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I am partially to blame as I was a member of this terrorist organization twenty years ago.

And I can proudly say that today I am an Endowment member.

Hmmmm. The only dirt the anti's can find is two decades old? I guess that makes us 'pure evil'.[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
[b]OKAY, DAMN IT ![/b].....I demand a recount of all elections since 1978 !

[center][red][size=6][b]DO OVER !![/b][/red][/center]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, they got the NRA on a three-decade-old technicality.

Oooh.  I'm impressed.

$37,833.00 was used "illegally?"  I wonder how much the investigation and court fees cost the US taxpayers.....

Mike
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably another Ken Starr job! [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, next they'll investigate Ben Franklin. Rumor is he shorted the USPS $.01 in postage on a letter when he was Postmaster General.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably why they go on and on about dues not being used for their legislative stuff now.  They knew it and have since fixed it.

Nah, I don't belong to them any more.  I totally lost it when Wayne went on and on about how much gun control they were for back during the presidential run (on one of those crappy morning shows on one of the democrat broadcast stations).  I contacted the NRA and let them know I was upset and they just couldn't fathom why I would be upset over a few common sense gun laws (their words).  

So now I donate time/money/membership to GOA and to Grass Roots North Carolina.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
OOPS
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
YES!...Is that mean I am an Outlaw?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top