Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 4:52:35 AM EDT
Would like to hear about any recent experience with Nikon's warranty/service. I'm considering buying one of their Monarch riflescopes. I have one of the older models and a binoc. which have not given me any problems. I have seen some older posts complaining so I'm curious to know how they have been lately. TIA for responses.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My experiences with Nikon and opinion of Nikon are quite different than Lock&Loads.  I also had a great deal of respect for Nikon and their products and was always told (by Nikon Dealers) of their superior customer service.  I bought several pairs of Nikon Binocs for family and friends (expensive pairs from $250.00 and up) and even recommended them to other friends.  My father's pair required service when the piece that connects the eyepiece to the binoc broke during the warranty period.  He is rough on the binocs when hunting and the binocs have the "well used" look, but they were never abused.  Nikon would not fix the binocs for free and were going to charge $150.00 to repair (on a $300.00 pair of binocs!).  Their reason for not fixing the binocs for free under the warranty was because the binocs were damaged by customer negligence!  After 6 months of back-and-forth with Nikon, we finally gave up on getting the binocs fixed for free.  Needless to say, but we won't be buying anymore Nikon products.

I had the same problem with my pair of Zeiss binocs that were 10 years old with a lifetime warranty.  Zeiss fixed them for free and cleaned the binocs and lenses before shipping them back.  They cost alot more, but the customer service is far superior!

Nikon does not stand behind their products if they can pin the problem on owner negligence, at least not in my experience.  I've also never had a problem with Leupold fixing any scope for free, even when I wasn't the original owner.  I know where my money is going!  Buyer beware!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Lock&Load:

I've seen their ads and have had Nikon Reps tell me face-to-face that they stand behind their products 100%, but unfortunately this wasn't my experience with them.  I'm sure others have had good experiences, but I was sure disappointed!  I have never tried their scopes, however.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased one of their 6.5-20x44 Monarch scopes and couldnt be happier with it. Ive only had it for about 3 months now so I cant say anything about how it will hold up but for now its great! Its realy got a bright and crisp sight picture even on cloudy and overcast days. I havent had to use there customer service yet but Im sure they will stand behind there product! At least I hope they will![:D]

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Nikon has great products but their warranty service is terrible.  I have heard the same story over and over of their standard line of customer abuse.  As a dealer we refuse to carry them.  Go with Leupold.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing but good things to say about nikon. I own leupolds varixIII's, but I've got to admit the nikons are brighter and clearer, but are they better? I'd say better glass. leo has been making scopes longer. You can'nt go wrong with a nikon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top