Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 1:29:34 PM EDT
Florida is the HOTTEST PLACE in the U.S.
I just got back a few minutes ago,from riding my ATV in the wetlands.I always wear full BDUs,LBG,and a balaclava and polycarbonate goggles for protection against branches and dust.The heat was insane.It was 95f,but with the 200000% humidity,it felt like I was going to explode.Even the animals were going crazy.Due to the heavy rain recently,a stretch of the path which runs beside a lake was flooded,with over a foot of water.So,I was driving through it,with water licking my boots,and I stop.The front wheel is almost on top of a huge ass turtle,and I go reverse,and I go past it.I look behind me,and there are hundreds of guppy fish CHASING my ATV.I was amazed.Also,with rain,there were billions of mosquitoes,which would follow my vehicle around.I mean,I could NOT stop the vehicle,or else they would mess me up.It felt sorta like the movie SPEED,except I could not drop under two miles per hour.It was really a "recon" trip because I was planning on doing an armed hike,with my AR,but the bugs are outta control.I guess it's not gonna happen for a while.
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
STAB!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll second that I lived in Ft. Pierce for about a year.  The damn humidity is high enough to choke a wild hog.  I remember laying in bed at night sweating with two fans blowing on me.
I feel for ya.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You had no AC where you stayed at??!?!?
how did you survive??!??
I cannot sleep when I'm hot,heck I can't sleep if I'm even a little warm.Our AC keep the house at 78'
lots of noise.
First place we were at had no AC.I used fans on me when I slept.Fan made an annoying noise,and I often woke up freezing,and with bowel problems.I'll shut up now:)
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I know it brother, what part of FL are you in? Myself and a buddy of mine decided to take a little armed hike ourselves last weekend, I was in full realtree bug tamer with my hood up, about a half a can of off on me and still getting pretty messed up. All I kept hearing was a constant buzz. I had one hand on my rifle and let my other hand swing freely. It was unreal. I could feel the mosquitoes bouncing off my free hand as I walked down the trail. There had to be at least 1,000 of them surrounding my body, no joke. That's just the way it is though, the summer is here and all this rain is really brining out the mosquitoes population. Our message board was planing on having a camp out this summer but if it keeps like this that will be a real problem. BTW be sure and check out our board for FL shooters. [url]www.floridashootersnetwork.com[/url] we try and get in some outdoors stuff eveyonce and a while.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
STAB, Your telling it like it is. I had to put on my SKEETER SUIT to walk the dog this morning
and we get skeeter control in this area.
When I was in Clear, Alaska in 1966 some hikers
brought in an old sourdough that had been eaten
alive by skeeters. It was a week after the Tanana River had flooded half the area. They
kept the guy alive but they said he was foaming
at the mouth when he was found. He went mad from skeeter bites.
I heard stories where people shot themselves
because of skeeters.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to inform you, but uh, having grown up in Louisiana for 19 yrs Florida is not the official hottest place. Hot, but not -est
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, at least you guys were clothed from head to toe.  Did any of you see the Eco-Challenge Borneo?  Most of them trekked through about 25 miles of triple canopy jungle where they literally rotted as they went.  One team was wearing shorts!!!  The leeches were well fed that week.

And if you did see it, how many of you cringed when one guy made an emergency radio call because of a particular leech problem?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree.... I lived in Daytona for a few years. It was hot, but my buddy lives in Gulfport Miss. That is the hottes fuc-ing place I've ever been. Nothing can compare. I think Columbia SC is paradise compared to that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't you wear Deep Woods Off or something?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend a summer in Korea!!!  Not only is it Hazy, Hot, and Humid but the entire country smells like ass crack....
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can't you wear Deep Woods Off or something?
View Quote

Deep woods my ass! Did you ever see the picture on the green can? it shows a guy and a chick hiking through the woods in shorts WTF!?!? I was honestly thinking about writeing the off company after my little treck and telling them there product wasn't worth a shit, its to bad I was busy itching. Does anyone know of a good repellent that actually works. do you think the off company makes an industrial strength, I'm way deep in the shit spray? They need to do something cause the green can served a better purpose swatting the little bastards off my arms when they landed then the repllent inside the can.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want hot, try just inland from Gulf Shores, Ala!!! I dont live there but have been there when the heat and humidity was killing the mosquitos.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Technically the temps here in AZ are much higher than in FL. You guys just have that terrible humidity. The highest temp ever recorder in the United States was 134 degrees and it was in Death Valley National Park, California.
[url]www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/usa/calif/wdeathva.htm[/url]

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
A better repellant than Off?  I thought Cutter was better but I've never tried it in serious woods.  The best stuff I've ever used is called Jaico Muggenmelk from Belgium.  It's in liquid form and is applied from a roll-on bottle.  Not sure if you can get it in the U.S. because it has 24% DEET.  This stuff was good enough to keep skeeters off me in Northern Thailand.

Not sure what the deal in on DEET levels.  All I know is that everything I can buy over the counter has around 6% to 10%.  So 24% is significantly higher than anything I've ever seen available here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the deal on DEET levels? Is that supposed to cause health problems? I know when I spray my face area with off I can feel a rubbing alcohol type sensation on my lips, and it doesn't do much for my respiratory system if I catch a wind of it either.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the deal on DEET levels? Is that supposed to cause health problems? I know when I spray my face area with off I can feel a rubbing alcohol type sensation on my lips, and it doesn't do much for my respiratory system if I catch a wind of it either.
View Quote

Highly toxic 99% military issue can be had, but read and understand the lable. 99% can cause death and has in younger children, it attacks the nervous system in seconds, especially behind the neck. It was banned in some states (I know of NY)after 91 in anything over 33% for this reason. DR. Wagner Wash State Univ. has done extensive research on this topic, CDC is another source of good info on this.

I have found that 99% is great on the surface your clothing, just a little amount though.

Gulf War Syndrome has deet as one problem, anti-flea & tick products worn by some idiots cause problems too!

Cuz skeeter has evolved into a strange black and white stripped pain in the ass, that is out all day here in south florida, even in the hot noon day sun, they are bad, but bad as it may be
it takes a bad ass to cope with it!

Oh by the way, full auto does hold em at bay awhile, that is until the smoke clears! Just kidding, the little bastar_s seem to be able to take anything thrown at em!

Skeeter suit is the only defense against em on exposed skin!

Yep, Florida does have hot and humid sub tropic weather, big skeeters, and more full auto weapons than most other states, loaded guns in the glove box or console without a permit, no permits required on private property, loaded guns on gun racks in the truck or auto window, yep some high crime areas too, but we can and do shoot back on occasion. Gotta love it!

Good country, I never go back to my homeland!
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 2:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Nomad-FA2
You had no AC where you stayed at??!?!?
how did you survive??!??
I cannot sleep when I'm hot,heck I can't sleep if I'm even a little warm.Our AC keep the house at 78'
lots of noise.
First place we were at had no AC.I used fans on me when I slept.Fan made an annoying noise,and I often woke up freezing,and with bowel problems.I'll shut up now:)  
View Quote

I was 17 and I was a poor sumbitch on my own.  Besides all my money went to diving equip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top