Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2001 7:16:09 PM EDT
Just wondering.
Who is happy with the 'issue' grip?
If you changed it, what did you go with?
Personally, I cant get comfortable with the stock grip. I went with the Pachmeyer vindicator.
Me likey
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The M16A2 grip is my first choice.
The M16A1 grip is my second choice.

I tried the Hogue grip. I like the way it looks, but i dont really like the feel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The tacgrip (PSG1 type) from Bushmaster is starting to grow on me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been very pleased with the Hogue grip. I have the overmolded grip and Freefloat tube on my carbine, and it's a LOT more comfortable than the standard grip. It's soft enough to be comfortable for extended periods of time, but still very sturdy. It also still grips well when wet, something important if you get sweaty palms.[;)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
i put a hogue grip on my oly and love it. i've always liked pachmayer and hogue grips. as far a wear goes, i think hogue's last longer. [:)]

maybe in the future hogue will offer the same grip, but with a duckbill.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Good point Rich. The Bushmaster grip feels good, but haven't tried it in the rain yet. Dan at VOW sells a great "sure grip" for the FAL (also a PSG1 type). Don't know if he has ones for the AR 15. His email address is [email protected], if you want to ask.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't like the stock grips.  I have an Ergo Grip on mine from S C Hines.  It is shaped like the MP5 grip and is VERY comfortable.  

[url]http://www.gunguide.com/~shines/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 2/14/2001 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the A2 grips.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta remember, the issue pistol grip is designed to accomodate the hands of any soldier who might use it, including women, who usually have very small hands. I have fairly large hands, with long fingers, so the issue grip, either A1, or A2, positions my hand too close on the trigger. For a better comfort and control, I had to get a grip with the extension that runs up the back of the lower receiver. I have found that the "HK" style grip from Bushmaster (I don't know who makes it) works pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1276732&a=9455432&p=31007391[/img] One of my Armalites has this HK PSG1 stlye grip on it. It is very comfortable and I could be all covered with baby oil and it is not slipping out of my hand.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
When I picked up my first lower I knew at that instant without shooting the gun that the A2 grip had to go, at 6ft 4in tall my hands seem like "Chewbacca hands" in relation to that dinky little grip.  The grip needed to be both thicker and more filling, the Ergo grip was a good choice for the informal "combat-like" AR15s in my collection.

For a more serious target grip I went with the Sierra Precision Rifles grip and I must say it is excellent, I've got one on both my custom AR15 and on my AR10, it's a big fat grip and very comfortable to my large "oaf-like" hands.

http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/main.html
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#12]
AR, Fal, AK all have sucky pistol grips IMO.
The M1A doesn`t have a pistol grip but itsure is comfortable, Everything else was changed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Hogue
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
A southpaw's $.02:
Ditto the above complaints with stock issue A2 grips.  I too wanted a slightly fuller feel and more of a grippy texture.  I don't have real large hands but the issue grips do feel small.  My concern was finding a grip that was a little fuller AND ambidexterous to accomodate my left trigger hand.  I shopped a lot and did lots of "searches" on the old board.  Result: All my AR's have Hogue grips and I'm happy.  Anybody want stock grips for postage, I have three left I'll never use. email me
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Having big hands, I tried every grip that's readily available.  After trying them all, I use Sierra grips from Sinclair's.  Even modified one last night and mounted it on my AR50.  About $25 if memory serves.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
All kidding aside, if you get genuine Colt A2 grips, they are far beefier than standard aftermarket grips. Bushmaster are about the worst in quality. The real Colt ones are dreamy for grips. I've given friends the Pepsi challenge with the grips off the rifle and they are all amazed at the difference in both quality and diameter.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree with uglygun...

The sierra grip has been berr berry good to me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the A2 with the little door in the bottom to store spare parts, such as gas rings firing pin etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have average-sized, adult male hands. Admittedly nit-picking here -- the stock grip will do in a pinch. I've used these:

1. Bushmaster A2. Too skinny, IMO. Gets a little slippery with sweat or inclement weather, though the finger grooves help.

2. Duckbill Tactical Grip. Solves the problem of raw under-the-trigger-finger skin during prolonged shooting, such as in a daylong match or rifle class. But I found the grip got slick fast with sweat and inclement weather, and it was still too slim.

3. Hines Ergo-Grip, "Sure-Grip" model. Rubbery service with a sure purchase, but overall it flexed too much for my taste. Didn't feel "solid" enough to me during gun handling.

4. Hines Ergo-Grip, "Rigid" model. What I'm currently using. Very good ergonomics, grippy surface, solid feeling. You reportedly can sand areas for a custom hand fit. It's still a little on the skinny size, even for my hands, so trigger-finger positioning under minor stress (such as in a match or rifle class, vs. bench shooting) still is not optimum. Drawback: not optimum for ambidextrous use; mine is a right-hand version, though I have shot it support-side OK. I think Hines makes an ambi model.

I've handled these on a few occasions:

1. Sierra Precision grip. Fat one! Hard plastic. Hand-filling, but seems like it would get slippery when wet with sweat or in inclement weather. Probably best for big guys with big hands.

2. Hogue. A handful, but not too much. Same rubbery material as a Hogue revolver grip. Hard, but "gives." Probably going to give this one a try -- I think it might just be the ticket. That or stick with the Hines.

If you're interested in buying any of these, just run a Web search to find online retailers. The Bushmaster or Brownells sites also are good bets.

The Hines "Gapper" is a great, cheap little gizmo that solves the same problem as the Duckbill grip. Goes in, stays in, too. Here's a link, if you're interested:

http://www.gunguide.com/~shines/page17.html
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm happy with the issue grip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Any of you Hogue users have a problem with the safety rubbing on the grip?
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a lefty, and I'm running a S.C. Hines Ergo Ambi rigid model with a gapper installed. This grip arrangement is one of the best things I've added to my carbine!
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Love the Ergo grip myself but I agree with mib2000, it's still a little "skinny". Mine are the rigid version. Huge improvement over the A2 grip IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the link. I`m already planning on what to do with the group buy AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Shawn, just got a new Ergo from Brownell's today. I bet it's one of yours, it's a substantial improvement over the old ones. Ordered a CAV comp today also. Looking forward to trying it out!
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got several AR-15's.  They all got standard military grips on them, just like God intended, LOL.  Some are -A1 grips, some -A2.  I didn't buy these rifles to use to just punch holes in paper. I bought them for service rifles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Lefty here. Hogue all the way. Have them on my AR's and pistols, P89, P90, SP101.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I have had much luck with the CLIP A GRIP from Brownells, it can epoxy bedded for exact custom fitment of the end users hand, to most AR aftermarket grips to include Lone Star stowable which comes oversize as it is. I've done many and they hold up under heavy use and look good too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I have had much luck with the CLIP A GRIP from Brownells, it can epoxy bedded for exact custom fitment of the end users hand, to most AR aftermarket grips to include Lone Star stowable which comes oversize as it is. I've done many and they hold up under heavy use and look good too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]
For the longest time I'd thought about trying the hogue for my ar after I put it on my ruger.  I finally did it and I have to say I'm sorry I waited so long to do it.   I love the hogue's  feel and the extra swell.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I really like my Hogue.  Fells much better that stock and offers better gripping.

CHZ
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No Problems so far with the Hogue.
I like it very much.
Wish I hand 2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top