Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
kyw.com/news/local_story_074120610.html

Mar 15, 2005 11:00 pm US/Eastern
PHILADELPHIA (KYW) Police and prosecutors concerned with a spate of killings in the city begged the public Monday for more help identifying murderers.

District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham vowed that her office will protect witnesses, even if it means sending a moving van to their home to take them to safety the day they come forward.

“We cannot only move you out of the city, we can move you out of the state; we can move you across the country,” Abraham said.

Within the past eight days there have been 21 homicides in Philadelphia, including three in the late-night and early morning hours after the prosecutor made her appeal Monday.

Now, CBS 3’s Walt Hunter reports that Mayor Street said under certain circumstances he would consider help from the Pennsylvania State Police and even the National Guard.

Street has declared the violence throughout the city a crisis and as a result has ordered the full review of police department policies and has suggested a full moratorium on the issuing of gun permits.

In addition, Street has requested a meeting with Governor Ed Rendell to talk about possible new gun legislation.

A 44-year-old man was found shot in his home early Tuesday morning. A 22-year-old man was shot several times in the street late Monday in a killing police believe was drug related. A 21-year-old man was shot during an argument.

The deaths brought Philadelphia’s 2005 murder total to 76, up from 66 at the same point a year ago, police said.
Homicide Capt. Richard Ross said police have had to solve most of the crimes without the public’s help.

“We’d like to see it come from cooperation from the public and not just from excellent police work,” Ross said. “We’d like to see a combination of the two.”

Law enforcement officials have been on a campaign to persuade city residents to cooperate more with police since last year’s killing of Faheem Thomas-Childs, a 10-year-old boy struck by a stray bullet outside at his North Philadelphia school. The shooting happened in front of dozens of people, but few witnesses have spoken up.
“We know that people know who killed Faheem Thomas-Childs. We know that people know. We need them to come forward,” Abraham said. Nearly all progress made in that investigation has come from the work of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, not from the public, she said.

Abraham would not discuss the case of Felix Summers, a 24-year-old man accused by federal authorities of killing off a string of witnesses who were to testify against him in as many as four murders. Summers, who has not been accused in any of the current cases, was acquitted in two homicide trials and a jury deadlocked in another trial last week. His lawyer says he had nothing to do with the witnesses’ deaths and was being persecuted by overzealous prosecutors.

Ross said he was especially unnerved by Saturday night’s slaying of 9-year-old Walter DeJesus, who was shot dead outside the corner store his father runs in North Philadelphia. He said police had “virtually no information” about that death and described going to the scene Saturday night, right after he had gotten home from investigating other killings.
“My daughter, who’s the same age, asked me, ‘Daddy, where are you going?”’ Ross said. “All I could say was, ‘A little boy your age got hurt.”’

========================================================================================

So the problem is gang-bangers shooting their neighborhoods up and the upstanding citizens of the community protecting the bangers, and the solution is to restrict lawful gun ownership?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
oops...meant to edit
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]

has ordered the full review of police department policies and has suggested a full moratorium on the issuing of gun permits

Just wow...Does this nutface think people with gun permits are the perps?

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
A situation like that is a product of 2 things: a surplus of two-legged animals, and a lack of will to deal with them. The people who are suffering through this elected the morons who created the policies that made the situation possible - and they keep reelecting them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So the problem is gang-bangers shooting their neighborhoods up and the upstanding citizens of the community protecting the bangers, and the solution is to restrict lawful gun ownership?

Like everything else about gun control, give the soccer-moms and sheeple the appearance that you are doing something about crime. When they finally realized that nothing has happened, it won't be your problem, and it will be the next guy's/gal's problem.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
"Mayor Street" is a liberal fucktard, as is governor Rendell.

I can't believe what a fucking mess my former state has become.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
why are you stuttering?

--ETA - yer edit made me edit, you bastage.  Now I look like the fool!

har! my plan all along!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The people who are suffering through this elected the morons who created the policies that made the situation possible - and they keep reelecting them.

hard to argue with that, but it effects others when they start talking about state-wide legislation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
i swear some people should not reproduce, all the cities with high crime rates also have all the b.s. gun laws.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
why are you stuttering?

--ETA - yer edit made me edit, you bastage.  Now I look like the fool!

har! my plan all along!

It failed!

I got two posts out of this!

I know you have many more, but two is better than zero!  hah!

Exactly! I'm trying to coach you along into the top 25
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top