Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2001 11:08:34 PM EDT
I'll be purchasing a new handgun soon and have decided on .40 s&w. Uses will be for target shooting, home defense, and a backup for my hunting excursions. Here are my current choices:

1) Sig P229--fits my hand the best and just feels right. The high cost and low availability of mags are a turn off, though. Rust is also a concern, as I would take it along on hunts in wet conditions. Like the interchangeability between .357 sig and 9mm (3 guns in one).

2) HK USP--undecided between compact and full size. Not as great a feel as the Sig, but still nice. Mags aren't exactly reasonably priced.

3) Glock 22--Simplicity, quick accessibility in home defense situations (not having to worry about DA/SA, whether the gun is cocked, fewer levers to take into consideration when under stress,...etc.), readily available and cheap mags and parts, low maintenance, rugged finish with minimal worry of exposure to the elements on treks through wet tropical rainforest for days at a time, and economically priced are some of the attractions. The feel of the gun is alright, but not even close to the feel of the Sig.

My head is telling me to go for the Glock, as it is practical and simple. My heart is telling me to go for the Sig or the H&K. Eventually I may get all. But which order to acquire them is killing me! Please help me to make the sound decision here. Your input would be most appreciated!

TIA

jsr75
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for the Glock 22 it sounds like it fits you needs. You know you can get .357 sig barrel for it if you want. If you want a good deal on a .357 sig barrel email me.

Six
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I, myself, would get the glock first, I have had a glock since I started shooting, it is utterly reliable, yet still fairly accurate, and only has one trigger pull, and no safeties or decockers to learn to use... just point and click!

PS> to get an idea of reliability, my Glock 30 (subcompact 45) has been carried for a year now, and in and out of the holster so many times its not funny, and has almost no wear, no rust, or anything, I have fired in excess of 10,000 rounds of reloads through it (2K were +P or 45 super) and all I did was replace a $3 recoil spring... which you should do on every gun...

Get a real gun now, you can get the DA/SA toys later...
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
All three are fine guns but do not ignore what feels best in your hand. A Sig will last more than a life time with proper maintenance.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Beretta makes a damn fine handgun have you checked any out??
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
go with the SIG
get mecgar mags for the gun for cheaper than factory sig mags which are mecgars anyway just with a SIG name and price tag attached
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The Sig 229 has a blackened stainless steel slide which shouldn't rust.  The barrel and other small parts probably will, but that's true for all three handguns.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Watch out for the fit/ finish on the P229.  Barrel especially.

Damm crossbreed gun.  I have one too.

Why the hell does the slide have to come from US when the frame is made in Germany?

The only damm P229 fully made in Germany is the P229-Sport model.

And I did notice the laser etching is better on my German P226 than my crossbred P229.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I suggest you go to a place where you can shoot all of them before you buy.

Over the years, I've owned glocks, sigs, berettas, and HKs. All are OK, but I simply shoot the best with glocks.

I now only have glocks for pistols (and 1 les baer 1911 because I love craftmanship).

Any of them will be fine, it really comes down to personal preference. I do believe the glocks are the most weather resistant, and easiest to 'smith yourself. I'm not a gunsmith, but I can break my glock down completely in about a minute, and put it back together in about two...

Plus cleaning it is incredibly easy.

YMMV
Francis
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't tell us some useful, important info . . .

Any children or spouse in the house? Anyone else live with you?

I have summarily ruled out any Glocks due to the fact that my Wife is not "technically minded" and oftentimes does not follow my advice but does the exact opposite (and after almost 31 yrs, re-training is not a viable option). This makes me concerned about having any gun around that doesn't have a mechanical (manually operated) safety. YMMV

I have and carry the USP 40c (the full is too large for me to conceal) and I also own the USP 45c. Both are great guns to shoot and easy to keep clean. Mags run in the $30-35 range and since the Compacts are a post-1994 design there are no hi-caps except for LE.

I have never fired a Sig so I can't comment on them. Our PD carries the Sig 239, I am told.

Regards,
Len Segal
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The ONLY reason ANY gun should rust is becasue of its owners negligence.

I LOVE my Sig 229. You get what you pay for. MOST knowledgable gun trainers tell you that teh SINGLE MOST important factor in gun handling proficiency is how it FEELS in your hand. here is a case where its OK to apply the motto "If it feels good, DO IT."

I've heard good things about the USP. NO personal experience.

But the Glock - BE CAREFUL.

Be SURE to shoot one before buying it. Trigger pull is simply WEIRD. The grip angle HAMMERS the wrist. You WILL notice it with a .40 cal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Were I to get a .40 it would most likely be a sig (not being a big glock fan).  I am a 1911 fan however; I will eventually want something other that the 'ol .45.  Have not shot a SIG in .40 although; I have shot one in .357Sig.  Damn nice pistol.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Like some of the others said, get the one that feels the best to you, and better yet try to shoot each at a range or somewhere that allows you to shoot before you buy.  As far as quality between them, I figure that it is pretty much a Ford vs Chevy thing.....they are all thee tried and trusted guns.  People will like the best what they have used.  That being said....I love the HK...it feels good to me and is what I have shot the most.  I am currently looking to get a Glock subcompact soon, though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#13]
More SIGs are used by Special Forces than Glocks or H&K. That should say something. Don't worry about the rust unless you plan to drag it through water and let it set for some time. Also, the SIG will probably retain it's value better than the Glock or H&K.

Just an opinion.

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned them all I would recomend the G22.
I don't like Sigs at all, the HK's are excellent and a close second the the glock but they usally come with the double single action and if you do get it in the DAO version the trigger pull is not as nice as the glock.
Additionally the glock is so easy to detail strip that there is no comparision to the others.
Just my 0.02.
Ybbeat
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shootout.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go with a G22. Not long ago SOG (SG News) was selling LE trade in G22's with one preban mag and tritium sights for $399. The one I got had new internal parts (factory rebuild I suspect).
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have to say you can not go wrong with any of the three, but I picked the Sig. The full size HK did not fit me well, the compact did but I wanted full size. so I ended up with the 226. Very accurate right out of the box with the dependability of my Berretta's.

I just don't care for Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
You should check out the Sig 2340, it has the polymer frame like the Glocks & HK and has a blacked out stainless steel slide - no need to worry about rust. I would stay away from the Glock in .40 as it does not have a fully supported chamber as the Sig & HK has. The Sig 2340 is also less expensive than the Sig 229 or HK USP. I think the Sig 2340 is the most bang for the buck right now and can be found for under $500. It also comes with 2 different size grips, 1 for normal hands and 1 for gorilla hands.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I say get the Glock 22, 23 or 35.  With a Glock hi-caps are more readily available, you can get both a .357 Sig & 9mm conversion barrel for it and Glock's have a ton of accesories and options.  The lower cost of the Glock will allow you to buy more practice ammo or goodies too.

Next choice is the expensive Sig 229, mainly because it's more compact and hi-cap mags can be found for it (though both scarce & expensive).

Last is the HK USP.  Though it's a great gun it just felt bulky to me.  Hi-caps are also hard to come by.  One thing that bothered me about HK's USP & USP Compact was mag design and capacity.  Why is the mag capacity (pre-ban/LEO) only 12 or 13rds. in the USP as large as it is?  Also, it bugs me that the USP Compact has a different mag design so it won't accept USP hi-caps.  That's the nice thing about my favorite semi-auto handgun the G23, I can use both G23 mags (13rd.) and G22 mags (15rd.) and I could even add +2 base pads for more capacity.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Just so happens I have a G22 for sale on this site!!!

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=32779[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#20]
[puke] GLOCK
BUY HK....never compromise
BTW, dont compromise on caliber either, get a .45
[x]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll be purchasing a new handgun soon and have decided on .40 s&w. Uses will be for target shooting, home defense, and a backup for my hunting excursions. Here are my current choices:

1) Sig P229--fits my hand the best and just feels right. The high cost and low availability of mags are a turn off, though. Rust is also a concern, as I would take it along on hunts in wet conditions. Like the interchangeability between .357 sig and 9mm (3 guns in one).

TIA

jsr75
View Quote

JSR75

I have a SIG P229 that is factory Nickel'd in.40 S&W that I am thinking of selling.  I bought it with the same intentions you stated, but fell in love with the P226.  I had it in 3 calibers, but sold the .357, and 9mm barrels when I decided on the P226, (which I also have in 3 calibers[8D])

It has factory NS, and 3 Hi capacity SIG factory magazines, too.  It ain't cheap, but it is available if you are interested.  I usually carry .357 SIG, so this barrel has hardly seen enough use to be broken in.  I'll be back in town Friday and could e-mail more pics to you if you're interested.

-Troy

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=127634&a=11685033&p=50689052[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Sig, Sig Sig...

I have a P229, Cheaper than Dirt has genuine 10 round mags, not cheap, I admit, but how many do you need? (fyi I paid $67 for 2, now have 4 including the ones that came with the gun).

Bought a genuine .357 sig barrel from a guy on eBay for $120, so essentially have two guns in one.

Nice feel, accurate, manageable recoil, superior firepower in a medium sized weapon. As for fewer levers etc., put one in the pipe, de-cock, and when you need it it goes bang. Trigger pull is firm but smooth in DA and very slick in SA. I keep mine in a velcro holster inside the door of my safe (shotty in the bedroom) so IF it comes to a bad guy wanting into the safe I can grab it, turn and pull trigger. (Yeah, right! Still, lets me sleep at night :) )

I tried the HK, did not like the recoil, and Glocks... well it seemed to fire ok, but I am a big believer in "you get what you pay for". The way a Glock can NOT go into battery properly and still fire gives me the willies too. A deputy working in my LGS eased the slide forward slowly on a G22 and 2 out of 5 times the breech was not fully locked, but it still went click when he pulled the trigger. Not a real scientific demonstration, but as he pointed out, some dirt in the action could have the same effect.

Make your own decision, but the Sig is a marvel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The ONLY reason ANY gun should rust is becasue of its owners negligence.
View Quote

That's not the absolute truth.  I had a SIG P220 that I carried in Summer against my skin, under a t-shirt, and it would rust within one hour of carrying.  I tried every grease, oil and whatnot.  I finally had it Metachol III'd by ARS, and that cured that!

[8D] Troy
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree that which ever feels best in your hand and shoots well is the one you should buy, and that you should try them all out first.  I personally think Sigs are really sweet shot by shot, but I don't care for the DA first, S/A follow ups, or de-cockers in general.  I have shot a bunch, but never carried one.  HK USP, personally not a fan.  Don't have anything bad to say about them mechanically.    
Do consider the Glock G35.  It takes the same mags as the G22, has a better (3.5#) trigger, extended slide stop, extended mag release (I swapped mine out with a standard G22 for $2.00).  It has a longer barrel, which means more velocity, less muzzle flip, and a longer sight radius.  Every person who I have let shoot mine shoots it better than other GLOCKs, and most (not all) better than other pistols they are familiar with. Since you did not mention CCW in your list of roles for your new handgun to fill, the extra barrel length shouldn't be a problem.      
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Kimber makes their pistols in .40 caliber now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you all for your generous feedback. I've narrowed down my choices to 2 now: Glock 22(with 3.5# connector and extended mag/slide release installed) and Sig P229. I'll probably get the Glock first, followed by the 229 shortly thereafter. As much as I like the USP, I just can't justify it's purchase. Maybe I'll later save up for an Expert USP or Tactical (Mk23 just too big and expensive for me). God I hope this handgun phase ends soon. Thanks again to you all!

-jsr75
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I will be buried with my 40 USP in my hands. I love it that much.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#30]
i would go to the range, rent/shoot and then decide.  i prefer my .45's, but if i went for a .40, i would pick a glock 22C.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd say either the Glock 22 or the H&K USP40 (preference goes to the G22).  Either one is a better weapon than the Sig, made more so by the fact that they're less expensive too.  The Sig may be a better range/target gun, but the others are better "weapons."
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
My opinion means nothing, but I really like my HK USPs. I like the fact they are built like a tank, no need for traditional rails,recoil reduction system, lifetime warranty, good endurance record, and very accurate and reliable. Although I believe all three choices are good and will not let you down.

No Slack!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top