Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2001 8:39:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The book is better.  Better plot line and weapons.  Where is the power armor?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I much prefer the movie version of Dizzy... and wasn't the lead supposed to be of partial Filipino descent?

I need to read the book...and not the movie adaptation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I waited the whole damn movie for Denise Richards to get naked and what did I get for it?  NOTHING!  The book wins out on that fact alone.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Denise Richards, while not ugly, just has ... SOMETHING wrong with her. I can't put my finger on it. I think Dina Meyer, who played Dizzy in the movie, is MUCH better looking.

I should read the book.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
She's in a sheer bra during a cut-out scene (see the DVD), but if that's what you want, go buy Wild Things.

-Troy
View Quote

Ahhhhhh Wild Things!  A great piece of American movie know how.  Love that scene, you know what I am talking about.  
I will have to look at the DVD.  Thanks for the heads up.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
put denise richard's tits on dina and now you got something.[beer]

i was dissapointed in the movie. the book blew my mind in h.s. in the regan '80s. the move dodged the larger political issues. and yeah, where were the suits!
maybe we'll get a better remake in the future. dig. technology being what it is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I started off being very disapointed in the movie. I have read the book a number of times.

Then I decided to judge the movie on its own. It was just good fun, covert Nazis, Doogie Hauser, the Press features. Great gore combined with great action.

Someday with the new digital effects, I want the book to be re-made with power armor, the politics, and the rest that was missing.

Some of you might also want to watch the cartoon, closer in spirit to the book, they even use a form of power armor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes!....I'd spar with Dina Meyer (Dizzy) anytime. [:P]

[img]www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/6162/dizzy05.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No contest the book was much beter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
If you liked "Starship Troopers" the book make sure you check out "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".

-TANSTAAFL-
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you liked "Starship Troopers" the book make sure you check out "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".

-TANSTAAFL-
View Quote

George,

Thank you... there is hope.

Starship Troopers was first serialized in "Boy's Life".. It was a story about honor, duty, and citizenship. The things the movie missed. The most (gawd I wish I could speel poignant) part in the story came when "rico's" father became a "roughneck".

R.A.H had a unique viewpoint.. VERY non-PC.. I mourned when he died.

"Take life in big bites... Moderation is for monks!"
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

-TANSTAAFL-
View Quote

[u]The Moon is a Harsh Mistress[/u] is hands-down my favorite Heinlein novel, and I've read them all.  [u]Starship Troopers[/u] is a close second.

I started reading Heinlein in the late '70's when I was a teenager.  He's primarily responsible for my political views.  John D. MacDonald and Robert B. Parker share the rest of the blame.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I read a lot of R.A.Hein. but i havent read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" yet...

Starship troppers was a great book. the moveie was ok and Rico was of a hispanic decent not Phillipino. Also I think R.A.H. would like the shower scene with both male and female soilders the old man was a sex fiend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I call myself a child of Heinlein and I believe I have read everything He ever put out. I was just going to read this post and walk away and then someone calls the old man a sex fiend.
Do you mean that in a derogatory way or are you just remarking that Heinlein's characters had genitals and the will to use them?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I call myself a child of Heinlein and I believe I have read everything He ever put out. I was just going to read this post and walk away and then someone calls the old man a sex fiend.
Do you mean that in a derogatory way or are you just remarking that Heinlein's characters had genitals and the will to use them?
View Quote

not derogatory at all. fiend in an i wish i was more like him (except for the incest stuff)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Great book, it really went into the politics and the soldiers life.  The movie was disappointing.  Saw it once on video, haven't seen it since.  The movie stretched about 20 minutes of the book into about 2 hours.  The battle was about the least important aspect of the book.

Hey GeorgeInNePa,
Thanks for recommending "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".  I'll be picking it up soon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok the incest stuff does get a little creepy.
Excuse my hair trigger about the old man, but like Spider Robinson, I get real tired of people
running RAH down.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I wanted to write my 11th grade literature research paper on Starship Troopers, but I couldnt find enough literary criticism about it.  Of course, my mom (being a reference librarian) suggested Stranger in a Strange Land.  If you want to talk about a screwy book to write a research paper on in 4 weeks while reading the book and writing the paper at the same time, SIASL is that book. Its a pain in the rear to explain that book to someone that hasnt read it.

Kharn
[Edited becauce I cant spell my own name]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Kharn I grok that.....I made reference earlier to Spider Robinson. He wrote an essay about RAH and
debunked all of the crap that people have said about him. Very interesting reading.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#23]
"A human beeing should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,
conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall,
set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
solve equations, analyze new problems, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects."

One of the best quotes ever!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I am reading the book for the first time right now.  I'm about 20 pages from the end.  I'm still stunned that this was written in 1959.  The part I like the most is the discussion in the History & Moral Philosophy class concerning parents who didn't spank their children. I'll be looking for "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" next.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Denise Richards, while not ugly, just has ... SOMETHING wrong with her. I can't put my finger on it. I think Dina Meyer, who played Dizzy in the movie, is MUCH better looking.
View Quote

I wholeheartedly agree that Dizzy played by Dina Meyer is much better looking than Denise Richards.  Not only that, but Dizzy's persona in the movie is considered "the right stuff" in my opinion. Yeah, loved the shower scene with Dina Meyer. I want a woman like her!   [:P]

No offense to any Denise Richards fans on this board, but personally I think she looks like a life-sized puppet who needs the arm of a puppeteer up her back to move her eyes, mouth, and any other bodily attributes!  Heh Heh  Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Damn it! Everywhere this topic comes up either on the net or in conversation, everybody says the book on Starship Trooper was much better than the movie!  I'm tempted to buy the book and see for myself.  I'll buy the book only if it has pictures!   [:)]

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry RoadDog but the only picture is on the cover.

Denise Richards didn't even get any cool costumes in that movie, unlike in [u]The World is Not Enough[/u], which makes her look more like Lara Croft than Angelina Jolie.  She just can't act that well.  

The real disappointment is the guns in [u]Starship Troopers[/u].  They sucked really bad because they could travel in cool spaceships, but didn't have any plasma or fusion weapons.  Its like making a movie about Vietnam with everybody carrying the model 1903 Springfield.  Yeah they missed the political aspects of the story but this is Hollywood we are talking about.  What about cooler armor?  Heck, the Stormtroopers had better armor and weapons.  What about that great little Hand Flamer that was in the book?  That would have had some cool special effects to go with it.  And how come the Navy guy gets his brains sucked out?

Okay I have let out my flames.  Got to go put my hair out.
Ice
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I will also go along with the others the book is much better. Again Hollywood does it thing to a great book!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the "something wrong" lies within Denise's acting ability. Her and her co-star, Casper, were so wooden in Starship Troopers it helped to turn a really good action sci-fi flick into a mediocre B movie. She was horrible in "The World is Not Enough" too. I do love her "bongo lips" and big blue eyes though.

Dina Meyers is a hottie too, check out some of her other movies where she is all dressed up to the nines...Damm!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#29]
This is scary... I have actually read all of Heinlein's published works (at least in paperback). Did it all in one summer. Never left my room, only showerd every 3rd day, and ate only twice a day.

Oddly enough, the book that got me interested in Heinlien was "Starship Troopers". I can't count the number of times I have re-read that book. It is my personal favorite.

As for the movie, I can honestly say that I cried openly when I first saw the movie in the theater. I was crying because they took a wonderful book and FUCKED IT UP!!! The director and screen writer are commie liberal bastards, that have no concept of duty or honor.

There was an afternoon computer animated cartoon series for a bit. It didn't do very well, but it did keep with orginal morality, duty concepts of the orginal book. I had a hard time watching the cartoon, only because they kept changing the days and showing times. I really need to take time and try to look up more details on the cartoon series.

But one of my personal fantasies is to fund a re-make of the movie. This time following the book EXACTLY (characters, wardrobe, etc). I don't care if it turns out to be 8 hours, make it into a mini-series.

Heinleins works have greatly influenced my life also.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Read The Book, Saw The Movie

The name is the same, nothing else.

My personal fav was 2001.  First book I ever read at age 9.  Saw that movie in 1968.  Don't ask why everyone thought I was a nerd.  That should be clear.[8)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I read the book before seeing the movie, while it wasn't a perfect adaptation it did a better job than many books->movies. The power armor would have been cooler in the movie. Made me think of elementals from Battletech
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]
i liked the book much better then the movie the movie was just your standars hollywood sci fi hokieness

oh wel off to reread the book

"do u want to know more"

heh i did like the propaganda commercialsn in the movie thu
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#34]
The movie was Paul Verhoven's spin on how he sees the story and the world in general.  If you have the movie on DVD and watch it while hearing his comments, a lot of this comes out.

I was pleasantly surprised that more of the book came out in the movie in the political/individual tone than I was expecting.  When Michael Ironsides/history teacher Rasczak lectures Dizzy after she says "My mother says violence never solves anything" and he responds "raw force has resolved more issues in history that any other factor and those who forget that always pay", that's a very close paraphrase of what Lt Col Dubois (ret) says in the book.  

I really loved the aerial napalm attack on the valley full of bugs in the movie.  I heard that was the longest chain explosion in movie making history.

What I loved most about the movie was how un-PC it was.  The reviewers all absolutely HATED it so I HAD to see it.  "I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL THEM ALL!!"  

However, I reread the book after seeing the movie and every social/political comment seemed much more true now than the previous time I had read that.  I mean, when the History and Moral Philosophy teachers are describing the failure of democracy and their criminal justice systems in the 1990s..... 80

Edmund
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where is the power armor?
View Quote

I'm hording it ALL MUHAHAHAHAHA!....

However, if you want a suit, I will be auctioning a few "VG+ condition" suits on gunbroker in the fall.  You will just have to wait a while [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#37]
As mentioned the DVD commentary with the director and writer make clear they disapproved of all the neat parts. They summed up their vision of the movie as "war turns us all into fascists". "Any time you see a guy in black on the screen you should be thinking bad bad bad."

Anyway the bimboette Denise Richards can't act but she still looks great. And the quasi-teutonic uniforms looked snappy. And the space attack scenes rocked. And Doogie looked pretty good in the leather trenchcoat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, Sweep, I knew I wasn't imagining things about Rico. That's about the only part of the book that I know.  I really need to read it.

At least your wife didn't tell you to spell "Filipino" (or Pilipino, Philipino, I've seen it so many ways) right.  I just get annoyed when someone asks me if I'm "Phillipine."  I just say, no, I'm American.
No hyphens for me, either.

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#39]
When polled, the top Science Fiction writers (at least a few years ago), as to who their favorite Sci Fi writer is/was, usually Heinlein is top pick(about 90%+ of the time). Read the book, enjoy the movie sharing the same title on it's own merits (hell thier fighting giant killer bugs with machine guns, stuff blowing up, people dieing gratutious violent deaths, good SFX,etc.).

Speaking of giant killer bugs (or in this case ants), I rented the old 50's classic "Them" a few weeks ago. I haven't seen this old movie in years, sure it's a little campy, but pretty good considering it's in black and white and filmed in the 50's. It was still fun to watch.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#40]
i have tryed to watch this crappy film 3 times.just cant sit threw it for more than 20 minutes.ive tryed from the beginning(awful)middle and near the end.what a pos movie!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Book wins, hands down.

The movie was just so much Hollywood crap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#42]
For the readers out there...Get "Armor" by John Steackly.....you want powered armor? Steakly has admitted to his book being a blatant rewrite of
ST and Man would I love to have someone on this board understand the phrase "And Felix wouldn't die...."
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I read Armor a few months ago.  I really liked the politics of Starship Troopers, but in every other category Armor was a superior book.  

Felix kicks ass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Hoplophile....excellent....I have met John a couple of times and he is a pretty nice guy. He also wrote the book "Vampire$" which became that horrible movie John Carpenter's Vampires.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I read [u]Armor[/u] a [i]long[/] time ago.  I recall the phrase, but can't recall the complete story.  Is that the one where the soldier kept doing suicidal acts, but [i]always[/i] survived?  Then he finally retired, but ended up doing one last mission?

Good book, but Heinlien's was better.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I read [u]Armor[/u] a [i]long[/i] time ago.  I recall the phrase, but can't recall the complete story.  Is that the one where the soldier kept doing suicidal acts, but [i]always[/i] survived?  Then he finally retired, but ended up doing one last mission?
View Quote

Not exactly, but close enough.  He kept getting sent back out to fight, often against impossible odds, and didn't want to survive but he had conditioning that forced him to do whatever it took to survive.  There were some people playing back the neural records in his armor and they were even hoping he would die and be out of his misery but "Felix wouldn't die".
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#47]
The movie sucked,

I agree with the posts but I have a few comments:

I think the book has greater meaning if you have been through infantry training.  I liked the “feel” of the book concerning his politics.  I thought the neodogs were a neat concept.  My dog is afraid of fireworks and is cowering next to me.  The idea of the neodogs blowing themselves up at the first sight of the arachnids had new meaning.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought the book, but still haven't read it.  Since I haven't read the book, the movie seem like a great flick! IMO  To think, I have been telling everybody it was a great movie.    After reading the negative comments on the movie, it seems like I am the [u]only[/u] one who liked the movie!  Boo Hoo!  [>(]

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just bought the book, but still haven't read it.  Since I haven't read the book, the movie seem like a great flick! IMO  To think, I have been telling everybody it was a great movie.    After reading the negative comments on the movie, it seems like I am the [u]only[/u] one who liked the movie!  Boo Hoo!  [>(]

[b]-RoadDog[/b]
View Quote

It is not bad as a stand alone movie outside the context of the book.  It only sucks when measured against the book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top