Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2001 2:15:03 PM EDT
Okay, given the amount of anti-police and anti-SWAT rhetoric flying around, I had an interesting idea.

I am sitting on a review board for SWAT candidates tomorrow (no, really). Does anyone have any questions they would like me to ask. I know I'll get a lot of flames on this one, but if you come up with a good, pertinent question, I'll use it and report back what the answers were.

(This is actually just laziness on my part-last time I was on the board, all of the other board members stole my good questions and I haven't taken the time to come up with anything new).
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Jsut to clarify, all of the basic questions (why do you want to do this, what do expect to get from this) are already going to get answered. Tactical and procedural questions won't get asked, because these folks haven't been trained yet. Questions are more along the lines of situational questions dealing with common sense and good judgement.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
How do you feel about the average person's right to carry a concealed weapon?

mike
View Quote

Good start. Not quite pertinent. I also know all of the officers, and they all support it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Should Lon Horiuchi receive a commendation for his creative use of secondary projectiles to hit Kevin Harris?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you think the saftey of the team outweighs the saftey of innocent bystanders?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are given directives by your supervisor that you think may be Unconstitutional would you carry out the directive then question it, question it first, or not question it.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Should Lon Horiuchi receive a commendation for his creative use of secondary projectiles to hit Kevin Harris?
View Quote

lol -owch!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
would you shoot a puppy dawg?
sorry, i know this is supposed to be serious but i couldn't resist. anyway i couldn't top the previous questions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Why do you want to be a SWAT member?
2) What is the primary purpose of SWAT?
3) What can you bring to the team?

Answer to all 3: To save lives.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
btt. my first one, I think this could be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Define "Reasonable" and "Necessary."

As in "reasonable and necessary force."
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Ask them if they would ever shoot at radioman. He's a good guy, you know.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you think the saftey of the team outweighs the saftey of innocent bystanders?
View Quote

This is a good one and I'll be using it the afternoon. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
These should put some minds to rest.

"Would you knowingly carry out an illegal order from a superior?"

"Would you question what you perceive to be an unlawful command?"

"What is the requirement for the use of deadly force?"

SOP where I've been.

sgb
View Quote

Yeah, these questions are always the first ones to get asked, but thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are given directives by your supervisor that you think may be Unconstitutional would you carry out the directive then question it, question it first, or not question it.

View Quote

Variations of this question are already out there, but tend more towards "unlawful" than "unconstitutional." Courts decide the constitutionality of an officer's actions, and legislatures give us laws that further restrict authority. Most constitutional questions for officers come under search & seizure case law (which is also where use of force law is) and 5th Amendment, which is pretty much an investigative function and doesn't really apply to SWAT.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Everything went smoothly. As I promised, here is what I asked, and what happened:

Which do you place a higher priority on, the safety of the public or the safety of the team?

Lots of waffling from all of the candidates. They had a series of softball questions before they came to me, and then BAM! Eventually, all three said that they would not want to compromise their safety, but, upon amplification, all said they would willingly place themselves in the line of fire to protect an innocent bystander (which is a job and moral requirement).

Would you obey an unlawful order?

A couple said they would request clarification and try the chain of command, but all candidates said that they would not obey an unlawful order, which was the only acceptable answer.

I would like to thank everyone for the input and assistance.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]
BTW-I did not ask the "use of force" questions suggested, because, every officer should already be an expert in use of force policy and law. If they were not, they would not have a job, let alone be considered for a tactical unit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for the opportunity to try and toss some questions out. And also for letting us know how things went. Its helps a lot of people out to know what goes on behind the scenes with something like that, and allows us to get an idea of what type things are asked, and the expected responses vs actual.

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the update natez.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top