Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 1:56:29 PM EDT
For those of you cursed-souls who have allergies (esp. to CATS)  what medication has/is working for you the best? With no after affects like internal bleeding or "medicine-head."

The girlfriend just moved in (with her cat) and I am already feeling like I got the ass-end of the deal.....[BD]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If she's cute I'll take her...the girlfriend, and you keep the cat [:d]

Try some allergy shots from the doc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
JDP,

Start with an over the counter like Suphedrine (Sudafed) and ramp up from there.  No sense in starting with something too powerful.  A talk with a good allergist is always best.  If you are very allergic you may even have to consider shots.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
...get a prescription for the shots.

My wife was VERY allergic to dogs, cats, dust, smoke etc....
She got the shots, injects herself once a week and now, a couple years later, is not allergic at all.
It worked immeadiatly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I am allergic to summer. (trees, grass, ragweed, pollen, cats etc....) I use Zyrtec for my allergies. It works great and I can even manage to wear my contact lenses this time of year w/o problems. If you start taking this, you will not see a difference for about 5 days so supplement it with something over the counter for this time. After it has time to get into your system you will feel much better. My wife and sister in law have used both Allegra and Claritin with good results. Neither of those seem to help me though. Talk to your doctor and ask to try one of those prescriptions. Find which one works the best for you and stick with it.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, Allegra and Claritin are usually not enough. I use Allegra and Flonase now, and have not had an allergy attack in 3 years. :)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Amen on the Allegra and Flonase!  Claritin doesn't do squat for me.  I did shots for 5 years with no improvement.  Suck it up and get an Allegra 180 mg prescription and you should be all dried up!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the Alegra gonna dry my brain up too?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Alegra "D"  persciption has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
A pollen allergy and a dander allergy are two seperate things, and usually over the counter allergy antihistamines are a bad treatment for both - go see an allergest, and get the shots.  It's the only way you'll be able to cope.  On the bright side, any other allergies you have should also be taken care of.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the Alegra gonna dry my brain up too?
View Quote

If you mean, will it make you sleepy. It does not make me sleepy at all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
i took shots when i was young and it got rid of my pretty bad allergies. now, when i stop-up i take claritin. it works pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, you need to see a doctor to get the right stuff for you. Allegra-D and Flonase work great for my pollen and weed allergies, but I don't know if the combination is effective for dander allergies. You need to get a system going that's tailored to your specific allergies.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Why don't you grow a pair and kick that cat the hell out.  If the girlfreind don't like, then she can go too.  Wait a sec, your probably too busy watching Rosie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
What a dork...

I think that JDP should take his pair and bounce them off no ma"am's chin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top