Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 1:56:26 PM EDT
I was watching "Extra" a second ago,and they talked about that crash in California which was supposedly inspired by the movie which opened Friday.I thought "that's BS,I've lived in Daly City my whole life up to three years ago,and kids have been racing since cars were around"
but then they said how the two cars,a LAMBORGHINI DIABLO and a Corvette were involved.Both cars were shown,demolished,and both drivers died,and a bystander was seriously injured when their car was hit.Now...if I owned a $200+ thousand dollar Lamborghini,I would not do something that would jepordize me loosing it (or my life) by racing.I mean,jesus,I nearly cried looking at the picture of the wreck,freaking front end was gone.Anybody have links for pics/articles?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]

[b]QUOTE[/B]
"...if I owned a $200+ thousand dollar Lamborghini,I would not do something that would jeopardize me loosing it (or my life) by racing."

I'm with you on that Nomad,  but some (rich) folks get those cars to actually USE them; and that means [u]race[/u] them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nomad...  While I'm glad to see some people actually using their expensive cars, I am disappointed that these idiots decided to take it to the streets.  Street racers are usually the worst drivers.  Mix that with the age group of a lot of the Import enthusiasts (oh which I'm on the upper end of) and you'll see accidents waiting to happen.  Just goes to show you that a lot of people with the high dollars can't use the equipment they can't afford ;-)
At least they're calling it street racing..oops, they just slipped...leave it to the media to get things right.

I race my car, but I do it on the track.  I have a gun, but I shoot at the range.  

On another note, a lot of guys on those import forums are anti-gun.  They ask me why I need a gun.  Yeah, car guys are the people that need to criticize me about guns.  I usually reply, "And you need to turbocharge a Civic for what reason?"  It's all a case of "Kettle, pot, black"...    
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been in the import car racing seen for about 5 years, alot of the stunts and scenes seen in "the fast and the furious" are fairly true to life. Except the floorboard of the Eclipse popping out due to too much NOS. Anyways...kids have been streetracing since the 50's and earlier. The movie was made to exploit that.. not the other way around.[spank]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
movie sounds good.The guy in the Lambo died huh?
last Lamborghini for him I guess:(
any hi-end factory cars in the film?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple of NSX's a really f**king bad-ass twin turbo Supra w/ NOS.[}:)] A Honda s2000, there was a Ferarri(that got smoked by the Supra) and there was a Nissan Skyline that I caught. I am going to see it again. Story line was ehhh, but my love for cars made me love it. Oh yeah there was some gun play in the movie also.[grenade]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/newsday/20010625/lo/deadly_drag_race_1.html[/url]

Monday June 25 07:11 AM EDT
Deadly Drag Race
By Zachary R. Dowdy and Tom Demoretcky, Staff Writers
A Lamborghini racing a Corvette, weaving in and out of traffic, crossed the center line of Lawson Boulevard in Oceanside yesterday and smashed head-on into an oncoming Volvo, killing the racer and an innocent driver, Nassau police said.

Glenn Jacofsky, 43, of Oceanside, was killed when racer Michael Vasapolli, 30, of North Woodmere, crossed the center line in the 3:39 p.m. crash at Montgomery Avenue and Lawson Boulevard. Vasapolli was also killed in the crash that injured both men's wives.

Kevin Hart, 27, of 105 Wolf Ave., Malverne, who police said was racing Vasapolli, was charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in First District Court in Hempstead.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
i didnt like the movie. it was just a bunch of punks racing their rice burners. i know these things CAN be fast, but there was only one real muscle car in the whole movie. if it werent for the charger doing a wheelstand, i would say it sucked.

whoa, they gave these guys addresses in the article. that had to suck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
it was just a bunch of punks racing their rice burners.
View Quote

EXactly why I opted not to see the movie.

Didn't want to sit in a movie theater full of rice burning punks( stereotype ) having an unleaded orgasm.

I'll wait for rental/ DVD.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Just remember:  There's no substitute for cubic inches.  NOS and superchargers are hard on an engine.  You don't get something for nothing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Oringally posted by trickshot:
There's no substitute for cubic inches.
View Quote

you mean, "there's no replacement for displacement"?  [:D]

couldn't agree with you more.  if you have to add the nitrous or "other gimmicks," you didn't have anything to begin with.  nothing like a naturally aspirated, American-made muscle car doing quarter mile times in 13 seconds flat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I was never influenced by media to do anything. I participated in drag racing and road racing
because it was fun; well before the movie
"Thunder Road" premiered.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Those "rice burners" can go very fast. I tagged one at 110+ a few months ago. I tried to catch up, he punched it and got to around 130 or so. I wisely quit. I got him a few weeks later. He had a very distinct set of mostly illegal custom modifications to his vehcile, so he was not hard to find.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
there's an incredibly big difference between top speed (how fast a car can go) and acceleration.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
there's an incredibly big difference between top speed (how fast a car can go) and acceleration.
View Quote

An accurate statement but, in the case of the modern "rice burners" they have the ability to be modified to achieve the best of both worlds.

I have a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0L w/5 speed, a 1970 Cuda w/383/automatic, a 1955 210 two door sedan w/454 and 4 speed. I used to race in NHRA A/Econo Dragster at Fremont Raceway. I know a little about drag racing.

STREET RACING IS NOT DRAG RACING!!!

The modern rice burner can accelerate like a bat out of hell, and corner like it's on rails, and then stop on a dime and do it all safely.

BUT a car is only as good as it's driver.

I have seen 10 second imports at the strip, that when corked up and tires changed were driven away from the track. Try that with a muscle car. It can be done but is very rarely found.

But I still love the old muscle cars.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out [url]www.streetracing.org[/url]

I'm more of a big block fan myself but those Japanese cars can sure move.  There is a Texas website with videos of Civics going into the nines and Supras with 700hp.  

I had a couple of Trans Ams growing up that we'd race and then a couple motorbikes,  but it was all in good fun.  We had a strip of road marked off at a quarter mile, but would race for fun and small change.  That and we would have "Gumball Ralleys" to the Jack in the Box.  Luckily we survived these years.

BTW, if you have a high buck car like that, you go to the desert and open it up, not on a semi crowded street.  If you can afford a car like that you should be old enough to know better.

Check out [url]www.silverstateclassic.com[/url] it is a race through Nevada where they block off roads and you can go as fast as you can.  I don't think the wife would go for it though. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw the Burner bashing start, now the tide seems to be turning...

I think a 'true' lover of speed and bodies, will love them ALL (JUST like women), but still reserve rights to be lovers of American Muscle (like my former Furious Fury)....

I am ALWAYS surprised at the bashing I see at ANY group of ANYTHING...by the same people who claim they just wanna be left alone....

Here I am, a conservative, preaching/teaching tolerance....me vida loca...
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Just remember: There's no substitute for cubic inches. NOS and superchargers are hard on an engine. You don't get something for nothing.
View Quote

I used to be only a big block(FE) ford boy 427/428s. I thought those motors in my 69/70 mustangs were fast.  Now with a supercharged 351 windsor in a late model mustang, my old big blocks would not have a prayer. If the engine is built sound and tuned there is no problem with boosting.  I remember seeing Gene Deputys "Texas Turbo" mustang at palmdale. Stock rearend with no gear, stock interior, and auto trans.  Biggest mother of a turbo I have ever seen.  Car sounded like a jet engine and carried the front tires a good twenty feet. Ran low 10s at that high altitude.  Read he drove the car on the street.  As long as you stay out of the boost range, turbos and superchargers cause no problems driving on the streets.  Now nitrous......

In my younger days(20 years ago), close to where the Ontario speedway used to be you could find some serious drag cars trailered in every now and then.  We used to go race and put slicks on the car once we got there. Its kind of funny though how nowadays most of these kids advertise and show off how fast there cars are.  I remember my favorite car was a plain jane fastback mustang, hubcaps, no chrome whatsover in the engine compartment.  351 flags on the hoodscoop. Had a 428CJ and 4 speed in it. Told everyone it was a 351, if they called my bluff I would say yeah actually its a 390.  Made very big bucks with that car.

couldn't agree with you more. if you have to add the nitrous or "other gimmicks," you didn't have anything to begin with. nothing like a naturally aspirated, American-made muscle car doing quarter mile times in 13 seconds flat
View Quote

Have you ever rode in a supercharged car running 10.70s? Nothing to begin with...hardly
World of difference between 13.0 and getting into the 10s

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#19]
ARLady,
"There is no replacement for displacement",
and
"cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every time."
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.consumptionjunction.com/crazycrap/view.asp?ID=5225[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Would have been a better movie with more scenes with real musclecars...Seems like the producers were trying to cater to the "Rave" Generation. [:(]

[img]members.tripod.lycos.nl/dodge/chargerburnout.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top