Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 10:17:33 PM EDT
I shot at my first range today that was OVER 100 yards, a good challenge and experience for me.  Most shots done from the bench, and a few offhand - shooting 5x scoped shots weren't a problem.  Shooting 100 yard targets with a factory front sight, on the other hand...was a workout and a half.  I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to need:

1.) A smaller front sight (already in the process of getting a .052" from Bushy)
2.) Bigger targets than the 8"-diameter aiming black I'm using now.

These don't have to be gigantic, man sized targets that people in the pits flip up on the 600 yard line...but I'm definately in need of something bigger.  Looking at my reference guide here, I see that NRA Highpower 200 yard targets only have 13" inches of aiming black?  This being nearly TWICE the size of what I'm using now, with the addition of a smaller post, I think I'll be in the ball game of shooting with my irons at this range.

Anybody know where I can cough up $20 somewhere for some bulk (50-100 count) 200 yard Highpower targets?  Danke.

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
^BTT^
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen them at http://www.championshooters.com/.  They sell the whole target along with the just the centers. Hey, thanks for answering a question for me. I am thinking about heading over to the 200 yard range and I was wondering how big the 200 yard black area was.

Six
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have seen them at http://www.championshooters.com/.  They sell the whole target along with the just the centers. Hey, thanks for answering a question for me. I am thinking about heading over to the 200 yard range and I was wondering how big the 200 yard black area was.

Six
View Quote

Thank You, Six.  This place has a few other doo-dads I might buy in the process.  I'm guessing I need the "SR-C - 200 yard center"?  Does this mean 'centerfire', as in made for highpower, or center as in you get a big piece of aiming black instead of a square target?  Either way, it'll suffice, seeing as how I have a bunch of old targets with NO aiming black I can attach these too.

You're welcome - got that from the NRA Highpower Rulebook.  It's cheap, packed with info, and it supports the NRA in a tiny monetary value.  Best $3 you can spend!

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Try www.speedwelltargets.com,they got everything,including the cool looking CQB targets.

Or if you want BIG targets go check out sportsmans headquarters,or HQ magazine,they got some 600 yd'ers that measure 6 ft by 6 ft.

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 1:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The "SR" stands for "service rifle", but the standard NRA hipower targets will have a smaller black at 100 than the 8" you have now.  Our 200 yard offhand target has a 13" center, the reduced 600 (used at 200 to simulate the full distance slow prone) is 11.79"  The rare times we shoot a match at 100 yards the black is about 6". The best deal on targets comes from the NMLRA...buy their 200 yard target and you'll get a 12" black, heavy paper,and cheaper than the NRA-sanctioned targets, which you don't need anyway.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#6]
JB...try paper plates....theyll fit your cash winning budget,,[;)]..really
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The "SR" stands for "service rifle", but the standard NRA hipower targets will have a smaller black at 100 than the 8" you have now.  Our 200 yard offhand target has a 13" center, the reduced 600 (used at 200 to simulate the full distance slow prone) is 11.79"  The rare times we shoot a match at 100 yards the black is about 6". The best deal on targets comes from the NMLRA...buy their 200 yard target and you'll get a 12" black, heavy paper,and cheaper than the NRA-sanctioned targets, which you don't need anyway.
View Quote

The point of getting these targets will be to have a larger aiming black AND to have them at the specific dimensions of Highpower Service at 200 (which is 13").  But, I'll consider the 12" cheaper targets you are referring to.  Please clarify - what/where is NMLRA?

[brown] E.J.~[/brown]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ummm,
sorry Celt, but, the "SR" stands for short range. MR=Mid range, and LR=Long range. The "C" = center.

There are many varieties of reduced, short range, mid range, and long range targets used for NRA and CMP(DCM) matches[URL]www.mountainwebs.com[/URL] has all of the names, and sizes, along with a bunch of other good stuff.

edited for content, and so this format will fit your screen.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Freds in SGN has some good targets. I liked them they where 100 yd 200yd 300 yd and 400 yd.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
SportsmansGuide has a set of Marine rifle targets, these things are huge!  Like 6 feet high by 6 feet wide.

You get a gaggle of em for $10.00  How can you go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand why you want larger targets. You just need to practice with the iron sights more. Please don't say you wear glasses or are getting old because I have both those problems and still shoot HP with a AR service rifle. No offense intended.

If you want some targets you can download and print on 8.5x11 paper go to this website.
[url]http://www.homestead.com/minipalma/Targets.html[/url]

It has the reduced HP centers for 100 yards. You won't get the whole thing on 8.5x11 but you will get the black bulls eye. Print one copy and then go to a copy center ( or where you work [:D] ) and make a lot of them. That's what I do for HP practice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want to practice at 200 yds., just buy the SR Repair center. It will still have the entire 13" aiming black on it and is slightly less than 2 feet square.  As an example, I just checked Creedmoor's pricing.  They are $25.98/100 + S/H.  If you want a full size SR target (45"x70"), they are $40.98/50 + S/H.  

The repair centers are great for practice.  You're not worried about those 5's, 6's and misses anyway, are you?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Use cardboard and paper plates.  Cheapest throw away targets you can find.White plate makes a good center, Cardboard backing shows up the strays.

Keep working on the open sights.  That is all I enjoy shooting.  get good at 100 then move on up to two hundred.  Then you will have new standards to achieve.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Jack: You're entirely right, I stand corrected, thanks.  Wasn't thinking at all.

Jewbroni: NMLRA= National Muzzleloading Rifle Association.  Don't have a link right now, I'll look around.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't understand why you want larger targets. You just need to practice with the iron sights more. Please don't say you wear glasses or are getting old because I have both those problems and still shoot HP with a AR service rifle. No offense intended.
View Quote

None taken, I just don't think you know what the hell you're talking about.  If I'm shooting these exact targets on the competition course, shouldn't I practice with them (for sighting and MOA adjustment purposes)?  If I can't [b]SEE[/b] the target in the first place, why would I be shooting at it?  I don't know about you, but most people can't CRISPY see a 8" aiming black at 200, as well as they shouldn't.  My Dad, for example has trouble seeing the 100 yard targets...AT 100 yards!  His eyes are 20/30.  Maybe you have eagle eyes, but there's no point in shooting what you can't see, at least not with the stock front sight post.  Next time, try forming an argument instead of opinions.

Quoted:
If you want to practice at 200 yds., just buy the SR Repair center. It will still have the entire 13" aiming black on it and is slightly less than 2 feet square. As an example, I just checked Creedmoor's pricing. They are $25.98/100 + S/H. If you want a full size SR target (45"x70"), they are $40.98/50 + S/H.

The repair centers are great for practice. You're not worried about those 5's, 6's and misses anyway, are you?
View Quote

Thanks, Blackmore.  I'd definately end up going with just the centers - they'd fit over the standard targets I have right now without hanging over.  And no, I'm not worried about 5's and 6's...at 200 yards, I'm shooting 5-6's on 100 YARD targets...which is about 10-ring at 200 yards.  Even with that crappy aiming black, I can still hit paper - it just strains your eyes focusing on 2 different things [;)]

Quoted:
Use cardboard and paper plates. Cheapest throw away targets you can find.White plate makes a good center, Cardboard backing shows up the strays.

Keep working on the open sights. That is all I enjoy shooting. get good at 100 then move on up to two hundred. Then you will have new standards to achieve.
View Quote

I don't know where YOU are finding 12" long paper plates - but you must be a giant of a man putting that much dinner on a plate!
Heh, but seriously it's all about 2 things:  getting the correct sight size/sight picture, and practicing correctly (i.e. using the right sized targets).  When training, you make every variable as constant as possible - including your targets.  I can shoot 8-ring at 100 yards (about 3"-radius circle), which is fine - but NRA Service doesn't use 100, so 200 yards offhand (sitting, etc) is the most logical choice.

But please, I must know where you are getting your oversized paper plates [:O]

Jewbroni~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top