Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2001 12:27:07 AM EDT
I recently bought a 1853(?) Colt sytle black powder pistol.  Meaning the ones that don't have a topstrap as part of the frame and has a wedge that holds the two main parts together.  Anyway, I recently removed the wedge to practice taking the thing apart. I also completely took the nipples and the cylinder apart.

Now after I put the wedge back in the cylinder is at a [b]very[/b] slight angle with the barrel!!  If I push the wedge in to far the cylinder won't rotate at all!!  Again, what am I doing wrong?  I have a short lenght wedge from another BP pistol that I have tried and when I use that wedge everything lines up straight.  However it is to short to completely go thru the frame and then the cylinder/barrel gap is rather larger.

Does anyone have any ideas to help fix this?  Can I buy a new wedge in a different size or maybe file this one down?  Cause....I am totally lost here.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1860 Colt and a 1858 Remington pistol replicas.  My wife said I was like you...Must disassemble it before shooting!  I had some wedge problems with the Colt like you described.  Sounds like you should file on the wedge and try to get it to work.  I filed mine and it seems to be a little looser than I liked.  If it is functional, that is what you need.  Play with your wedge.  You can order a new one from Dixie Gun Works for a cheap replacement.

Those pistols are fun to shoot and they are pretty accurate for round ball.

Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had the same problems with an 1860 army.I think you just have to adjust the wedge so that the cylinder will rotate.I`ll bet that the remington pistol was the better.Ever tried a flintlock?I`m thinking of getting a kit to build a house gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't panic Sarg. You've done nothing wrong and Paulx hit the nail on the head. You simply have to drive the wedge in until the cylinder still turns free but not too tight. They are designed to work this way. With a little practice you will get the hang of it. (Do not file on the wedge.)

The gun you have is most likely a reproduction of the 1851 Navy. The two most common are the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army. The Navy has long been thought by many to be the best balanced and "pointing" revolver ever made.

Be sure after firing it to clean it well immediately after shooting it. Hot soapy water is the best thing to use. I know it sounds nuts but it works best. You just have to dry it well.
If you are single of have a very understanding wife the best way is to removed the front strap, take the grips off and toss it in the dishwasher.

I grew up on Colt cap and ball revolvers. If you have questions and would like feel free to Email me. (I get thirty to forty Emails a day so I am not always punctual in responding but I do get around to them.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top