Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2001 1:58:24 PM EDT
There is a case here in Florida pending in court that will outlaw all automatic knives...
So, of course, I started getting them.

[IMG]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/Qp/iM/ff/sC28024.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone have any idea or tips on collecting them>?
I am pretty new, and the Benchmade Spike Types (2 in the pic) are the only ones I know anything about.
Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They aren't just going after automatic knives, but ALL knives that can be opened by a flick of the wrist.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
These knives are perfectly legal in most countries in Europe, apparently. I once knew a Lufthansa stew who always had 2 or 3 different kinds of Bokers with her for gifts when she came over.
I have one of the Tanto bladed Benchmade autos that a friend who owns a police supply store sold me. I don't know why I have it, just do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't collect, but in Oregon they are perfectly legal to carry.  I traded in my Benchmade folder for a benchmade auto stryker.  Great knife.  Very handy.  Scares the crap out of fellow researchers at the University :)
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Really, if you think about it, any country that allows private possesion of handguns should really have no problem with a fucking knife of any type.
BassAckwards if u ask me  

The way I understand it, Auto knives are legal in most states...
But it's kinda like +P+ ammo...
Sales to "non-LEO agencies" is discouraged by most of the manufacturers.
Just find a dealer who is cool enough to sell them, and pay the $$$
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Gee well then every knifeI own is illegal.  Ummm you want to know more about automatic knives email me.  I kinda parinoid that some one might try and find me.  I can also show you a great place to get some autos.  

www.bladeauction.com

Best place in the world.  Good brand is Microtech though they are a little expencive.  Ummm another is SWAT knives specifically the Model 1 Centurion.  It looks a lot like you ATKO clone.  Does the blade wobble alittle on yors too???

The spikes are ok I would recomend going for an Paragon Cobra for a side opener.  Any other Q's just ask.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
just stay away from that POS nato model that opens out the front what a load of crap that thing was atleast i dindt pay for it got it as a gift
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
With a few exceptions, I only buy "junk" ones - those under $20.  If I'm going to spend a lot of cash on a knife it's got to be better quality than most of the autos I've seen.  Here in Ohio you can't carry them anyway, but you can own them (cops and emergency medical folks are the exception)....strange huh?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Microtech is worth the money so is SWAT.  Trust me on that they are great knives.  

Just get a Halo III and a back sheath.  Also try wearing a jacket
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
My Benchmade Tanto is so heavy and ruggedly built that I consider it a belt sheath knife. Is it as sturdy as a liner lock? NO. But it would almost take some deliberate abuse to tear it uo I think.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have always liked switchblades.
I'm no legal expert by any means ,but it my under standing that it is a felony to carry one and it is a misdemeanor to carry a consealed pistol here in CA
Makes a lot of sense don't it?
I've been collecting them for years.
I sometimes carry one when I work high in the air.
At the range one day a LEO asked me if he could borrow some tools. He looked at my Auto Striker(it was in my tool box) and asked me "who I worked for".I told him I wasn't a cop or a fireman but used it sometimes at work.He told me that to be carefull carrying it, and as long as it was in a tool box or at my home that I wouldn't have a problem with it.
I'm a pretty good judge of charictor and to me it wasn't taken as harrassment but just two guys at the range
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The Emerson Commander is faster out of the pocket and opened than any kinfe I have seen, including auto`s. The little hook grabs your pocket as it comes out. It is open as it clears the pocket. No button to find, it`s open.
I`ll show you
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Most states have what they call a lethal wound law.  Meaning that anything with a blade over 2" is illegal to carry.  Some states like orgeon and Utah allow for side openers but not OTF's.  But generally anything over 2" in most other states is illegal.  But sence it is under 2" you can conceal it.  And it is very possible to kill some one with a 2" blade.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a case here in Florida pending in court that will outlaw all automatic knives...
So, of course, I started getting them.
View Quote

What case would that be? The Pasco County Sheriffs Department still has my Dalton M-6.
If you have any info please post it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most states have what they call a lethal wound law.  Meaning that anything with a blade over 2" is illegal to carry.  Some states like orgeon and Utah allow for side openers but not OTF's.  But generally anything over 2" in most other states is illegal.  But sence it is under 2" you can conceal it.  And it is very possible to kill some one with a 2" blade.
View Quote

hmm well i know in california its 3 inch blade  knifes doesnt matter what kind of knife

and
if its over 3 inches and its concealed they call it a concealed deadly weopon
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#23]
MC UZi,
are you sure about autos being legal in FL?  I've read some FL law that says that automatic knifes are only legal for LEO's and one armed people.  Let me know if you are SURE they are legal!

my $.02
Steve L.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Here in florida, as I understand, auto knives are covered under your concealed weapon or firearm license. Also I see them for sale at Gun shows all the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What case would that be? The Pasco County Sheriffs Department still has my Dalton M-6.
If you have any info please post it.
View Quote

Give me a little while to dig out the issue of Small Arms Review where I read it in.
Then I can give you the exact case #--

Anyway, it seems that very recently, a Knife dealer was arrested at a gun show for selling "auto-knives"--
Florida State law dictates that (And tell me this isn't fucked up) you can purchase, and have one in your home, but not posess otherwise.
So this means you can go to a gun show, and buy the knife, but unless you have a CCW, the moment you take possesion of the knife, you are breaking the law, until you get it safley to your house.

Anyway, I digress.
The Dealer had his knives confiscated, and decided to fight it.
He took it to court.
The law only covers certian knives-
Those operating with a Coil Spring-
Not those operating with a leaf spring.
Someone earlier in the this thread mentioned a Russian knife that prokects the blade with great force.....
Well, it seems that is the very knife that Florida wants to outlaw, but is doing so by outlawing all auto's by way of ambiguous legislation.

It really is a clusterfuck, but like I said.
I'll get all the exact court dates and case #'s in a little while.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the big deal about a knife? Has anyone been arrested for a knife violation, and how was the case handled?
I always thought it was something most cops let you skate on.
I've walked up to metal detectors at O'hare airport and pulled out my 4 inch Buck lockblade and put it on the tray in front of security personal and Chicago cops without anyone batting an eye.
Now this was over 10 years ago, because I stopped carrying the lockblade in favor of the large Buck stockman folder. I've been through airports dozens of times, with the stockman, in recent years without any problem.

I now carry an Al Mar auto sear, and after reading this thread I'm starting to get a little worried.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

True, but "most" is the oprative word.
It's kinda like "Tag Light" laws.
HEre in Florida, we have a law that says you have to have a light that illuminates your tag.
In reallity, a lot of cars don't, and it isn't a big deal.
BUT, the cops have it as an excuse to pull you over.
If you have a switchblade, and the cop wants to be a dick....
With the recent supreme court ruling that you can be jailed on misdemeanors,
Theoretically, you could be legaly jailed for having one if it was illegal in your municipallity.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the big deal about a knife? Has anyone been arrested for a knife violation, and how was the case handled?
View Quote

Unfortunately knives are automatically connected with illegal activities, so if you're carrying a knife you may actually buy yourself more trouble than if you had a gun.  It's pretty wierd, since a gun is much more effective, but laws and logic are seldom connected.

They issued us switchblades for survival use in the Army.  They were typical low bidder stuff.  Orange handles with a knife blade on one end and a hook cutter for parachute lines on the other.  

I had a Benchmade auto in FL, and never had a problem with it.  My CWP down there allowed you carry a firearm or other concealed weapon. Not just restricted to handguns like VA's.  I need to research the VA knife laws better because they're a bit more strict than others and I've accidentaly carried a knife illegaly.  No biggie to the cop, he told me, "just get a belt pouch, it's no big deal."

Ross
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#29]
[url]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC225.HTM&Title=->2000->Ch0790->Section%20225[/url]
They charged me under this Statute. I explained to the Deputy that the blade in the Dalton M-6
does not "fly through the air as a projectile"
that it remains attached to the hilt and does not in any way resemble or function as a projectile.
The Pasco County States Attorney is as stupid as the Deputy. My lawyer filed as motion to dismiss and it was traversed by the SA. The SA
said the knife had a coil spring so therefore
it was a projectile knife. I tried to speak up
my lawyer kept whispering to be quite. Then the
SA says to the Judge "HA, We will just charge him with something else HAHA!" My lawyer never
refiled our motion and I got FUCKED!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Lock&Load:
I also had a knife that would shoot the blade about 30 feet. It was called a Spetznaz (sp?) knife I believe. It had a trigger with a cotterpin type safety (like a grenade) and had a knurled blade cover that you could unscrew or leave on and shoot. Or you could use the whole unit as a nightstick.
View Quote

That is called a projectile knife. That is what the Florida Legislature banned. Yet these stupid leos SAs and judges are throwing people in jail for Daltons MicroTechs etc.. If you
can find any info on that knife you had please contact me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MC UZi,
are you sure about autos being legal in FL?  I've read some FL law that says that automatic knifes are only legal for LEO's and one armed people.  Let me know if you are SURE they are legal!my $.02
Steve L.
View Quote

Read my post with the url. Thats it on knives
in Florida except for DIRKS. No dirks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top