Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2005 10:31:53 AM EDT
I would take a semi auto over a revolver any day of the week.  Revolvers can sit for a long time and still work fine, but I find that if you shoot a revolver for a while get a little dirt in em they stop running way before a auto.

Maybe I just have bad experience with revolvers but here is a example, I bought about 200rds of .38/357 for my ruger GP100. at around 150 and carrying it around in the desert the thing starting malfunctioning.  I was really suprised because it wasn't that many rounds. The action got real gritty and i had to clean it to keep it running.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont know what it was if it was actually sand or just very dirty ammo.  That same day I put 1000 through my milspec with lead reloads.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
you cant judge all revolvers based on your experience with your one revolver.

I worked at an indoor range for 3 years.  In that time, only one broke(out of 10), and it was a bad internal part.  they kept going and going and going.. heck the 22 gp101 would go for thousands of rounds without cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Your point isn't totally wrong.
Revolvers are usually given credit for being more reliable than semi-autos and at one time that was probaby true.  But they're living on their rep.  My G26 is absolutely, as, or more, reliable than a revolver. Revolvers have issues.  Sometimes their cylinders can decide to stop turning with certain kinds of ammo and for sure, they are not dirt proof.
Hey, I'm a fan of revolvers.  I own several and I like them a lot.  They will do things that no semi-auto pistol will do.  I know that absolutely, my Super Redhawk will do things that no semi auto pistol will do (and even some rifles would struggle at!)  
I think a truer statement is that revolvers are SIMPLER than semi-autos (in operation).  And that has some advantages, too.
Every firearm has its strengths and weaknesses.  There is no one "perfect firearm".
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Less parts = more reliablity.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I love semi autos. I used to look down upon revolvers.

Then shot next to a guy who used a S&W mod 65 vs me with a BHP.

2 bullseye targets 7yds 6rnds per for time and accuracy.

He cleaned up everyone everytime. His gun was tuned but man he was awesome. I playaed with one almost everyday for the years I worked at the range /shop. I ended up carrying a S&W K Comp 357. I must say that I do shoot a hell of a lot better with a revolver now.

I also carry a revolver. Less things to go wrong than an auto. 5 rounds of magsafe from point blank to 21' will be just fine for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#11]
A ridiculous assertion.

For every unreliable revolver you find you will find 25 unreliable semi-autos.

Just silly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top