Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2001 6:10:13 PM EDT
I'm heading back to Pennsylvania for a few weeks of R&R.  I was thinking about taking my AR15 with me to do some groundhog hunting.  I've never flown with a firearm so don't know the procedures or how hard it is.  Would the Airlines give my grief for having an AR?  Have any of you guys done this?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody here has flown with firearms?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the airlines website. They usually have rules posted or a e mail to ask questions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't use a autoloading rifle for hunting in PA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've flown with firearms a lot.  Usually my pistol is checked in with red tag and all and goes in hardcase inside luggage.  No problem with any airline.  However, while there is usually no hassle from any airline about rifles, the rifle case makes it obvious that it is a firearm.  One time, it was the last thing unloaded and I was about to have a fit since it was a NIB preban.  When if finally did come out, the case was cracked as if someone tried to open it.  I don't fly with a long gun after that.  While there are no legal hassles, you run the risk of having it stolen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Doorgunner.  I travel a good bit on US Airways with a shotgun to shoot across the country.  You have to declare the arm and show it is unloaded and no ammo at the airport and sign a decleration.  You have to do this inside the airport, not at the curb, so leave yourself alot more time(i almost missed my flight several times).  I have never traveled with anything but my shotgun, and an AR looks alot more formidable to the uneducated, so you may get some additional questions, I would call the airlines first also.  People behind you in line, as well as the airline employees, sometimes give me a strange look with a shotgun, also, I have run into airline employees whom I have had to explain the process to(evidently they don't do it much) which takes a little more time.  If you are going to be in the Pittsburgh area, check out the following website for Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club, there may be a shoot that interests you, and they have a 400 meter rifle range to shoot on.

http://www.greaterpghgunclb.com/
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Honest Abe:
You can't use a autoloading rifle for hunting in PA.
View Quote

but I can shoot on private property.  That contains groundhogs.  Whoops.. was that a groundhog behind my target.....  damn!  

I'm from PA.  Used to hunt GH's with my Mini14
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the info guys....
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm from PA.  Used to hunt GH's with my Mini14
View Quote

Whereabouts in PA are you from/going to ?
When ya headed back here ?

Groundhog hunting sounds like fun.
I actually was thinking of trying it myself, if I had a place to go...
(SE PA)
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:03:55 AM EDT
[#9]
What dates are you going to be here for? paspecops is having a shoot at his place on the 30th. Check the meetings and events forum for details.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Never had any hassle about flying with an AR.  They always make me open up the rifle case and stick the unloaded tag on the trigger guard.  I hate having to open that thing up in an airport.  If I am going somewhere and have to fly I take the least number of firearms possible.  It sucks, but I don't trust the baggage guerillas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Couldn't you put your AR in a soft case, like an Eagle Discreet case and then put it inside a larger bag like a duffle bag?  Or does the case have to be a hard case?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
Couldn't you put your AR in a soft case, like an Eagle Discreet case and then put it inside a larger bag like a duffle bag?  Or does the case have to be a hard case?
View Quote

Has to be a hard, lockable case.

Raymo425 said this

People behind you in line, as well as the airline employees, sometimes give me a strange look with a shotgun, also, I have run into airline employees whom I have had to explain the process to(evidently they don't do it much) which takes a little more time
View Quote

Hell, you get strange looks even with a pistol.  As far as them not doing it often, I've never had a problem at any airport in Georgia, Florida, or Texas.  It is no big deal in those places.  I did have a ticket agent at St. Louis ask me why I felt the need to have a gun.  After I explained that as long as I was legal it was none of her business, I called over a supervisor and explained that I, as a Gold Medallion (very frequent flyer) holder with this airline, did not appreciate being asked such questions and that I did not have to put up with the politics of one of their employees.  The supervisor, also a female, removed her from the counter and took her in back.  I don't know what happened after that, but I got the feeling that the supervisor was very displeased with the employee.  At Philadelphia I got very surprised by a ticket counter.  She was drooling all over one of my Sigs and said she just loved them.  I was pleasantly stunned.  You just never know what to expect, but as long as you do it right they can't say squat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
This may be a solution:
Separate the upper and lower receivers.
They should then fit into a standard size hard suitcase.  The upper receiver will fit diagonally.  Wrap them both in plastic garbage bags if you are concerned about gun oil getting on your clothes, etc.
The hard suitcase should be locked, and then you will be all set.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The airlines have the final say as how to carry them. I fly to FL on Spirit.  I can have empty weapon in a locked hard case in my luggage. 5 lbs of ammo, has to be factory in the box. Ammo in another bag from the weapon or in my case, weapons. since my wife goes with me we can have two 5 lb boxes of ammo. Hmmmn does my daughter get to take 5 lbs?
I bought a  real nice hard case from Sportsman's Guide it locks and my AR 15 (16 inch) fits in it broken down. Also two 1911's full and compact..... It fits in a 26 or 29 roll luggage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top