Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2001 10:13:54 AM EDT
Has anyone read anything on this round? It is one sweet round. It's a saboted round and it looks like its better then the 308 match that the military uses. It travels at 4,300 FPS these are the pluses of it

Shorter time of flight
Less wind drift
Decreased aiming error
Superior armor penetration
Reduced felt recoil

The only negative is that it is slightly larger group size the the 308 win.
Has anyone heard anything about this It's used by the Swedish Army The only thing I found on it was in Special Weapons for military and police #14.

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it a 7.62 NATO case that has a sabot round or a .50 case that uses a 7.62 NATO bullet?

If its a 7.62 case then that light bullet isn't going to be effective at long range.

If it's a .50 case you are carrying a heavy weapon without the material target performance of the .50 round. Wouldn't the .50 or even a .338 Lapua have a better ballistic coefficient? I find it hard to believe that a .30 round will buck wind better than a .50, and anyone who is worried about .50 recoil has never shot the M82A1. It is just a soft push.

Do you have any more details?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that what you are referring to is a depleted uranium saboted round. The subcaliber projectile is .224 caliber ( I think). The US military tested Olin's Saboted Light Armor Piercing (SLAP) round in the late 80's but decided not to adopt it in 7.62X51 because it caused catastrophic failures in hot MG barbells. They did make limited purchases in .50BMG, but the stuff is expensive, so it does not show up often.

It is not available to the US public; DU ammo is specifically listed in the federal AP ammo ban. You could probably load saboted rounds at home and get similar velocities, and there are some commercial .308 saboted rounds (non-AP) available
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
SLAP rounds were tried in Somalia according to [i]Blackhawk Down[/i] where they were found wanting in performance on people.

Then when the Army and Marines went looking for a AP round for general issue the SLAP had a sabot seperation in trials and exited through the side of a M60's barrel.

So they adopted Raufoss of Norway's conventional AP rounds.  The 5.56 version is identical to M855 in construction execpt that the penetrator is made out of hardened Tungstin instead of mild steel.  The 7.62mm version is just a scale up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i thought the AP ban only aplied to handgun ammo? and that the reason why steel core 7.62 x 39 wasnt allowed was becouse of the import ban on chinese ammo?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Believe it or not, people actually make handguns in .308 caliber, so it qualifies as 'handgun ammo' if the feds choose to see it that way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to be a crew chief in the AF special operations on MH-60G PAVEhawks, and I have seen this and the .50 round being used in the mini guns and the M2 out the door.The FE's and gunners seemed to like them.So yes they are getting used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank for the help all. But I think they use this round with the Swedish army as only a Sniper round. The article did not say anything about it being in full auto weapons. Just Sniper rifles. I don't know if anyone has heard anything about it being used for that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top