Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 5:07:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Striker,

Outstanding!! We need more wisdom as this in this forum.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I wouldn't trade this time for any other. I love the decadance. I complain about things like everyone else, but I have never had so much freedom with so little responsibility
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice writing, but completely wrong. Things are better now than they ever were.

Do you think teenage pregnancy was higher in the 50's, or now?

50's.

Think crime is higher now, than in the 70's?

Wrong, it was higher in the 70's.

People are so apt to believe that the sky is falling, morals are forgotten, and that we are the present day Sodom. The truth is that things are still pretty good, although they could be better. The mass media may prey more on our fears about certain things, but in reality, life is still good, damn good.

Cheer up,[blue]people[/blue]. [:)]

radioman
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This was e-mailed to me. Speaks volumes about society today IMHO.

Think about this! Hard to believe this was written by a high school
student...

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings,
but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints; we spend
more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and  smaller families; more conveniences, but less time; we have more degrees, but  less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but less solutions; more medicine, but less wellness. We have multiplied our possessions,  but reduced our values.
We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.
We've learned how to make a living, but not a life; we've added years
to life, not life to years.
We've been all the way to the moon and back,  but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor.
We've conquered outer space, but not inner space; we've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul; we've split the atom, but not our prejudice.
We have higher incomes, but lower morals; we've become long on quantity, but short on quality.
These are the times of tall men, and short character; steep profits, and
shallow relationships.
These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.
These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes.
It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the
stockroom;
View Quote

It is bullsh-t.  It is not from a high school kid. It has been attributed from everyone from George Carlin to the Pope.  Nice words though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.
View Quote

Ok..  So am I to assume that my wife wrote this?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.audubon.org/bird/watch/amd/amd.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.audubon.org/bird/watch/mot/mot.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you think teenage pregnancy was higher in the 50's, or now? 50's.
Think crime is higher now, than in the 70's?
Wrong, it was higher in the 70's.
radioman
View Quote

This is not a flame!!
I would be interested in where you got your facts, but being raised up in the '50's, there were almost no pregnancies in the area I grew up. Also, didn't have to lock your doors when you left for the day, or you car at night.
That was in Phoenix, Ariz
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Now thats a nice pair of ducks!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet that the 50's thing is true.  There were probably more teenage MARRIAGES in the 50's, and less family planning.

As for the crime thing, well...drugs, 55 mph speedlimit, racial tension, ???---I dunno, was born in 1979.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Much to agree with, but then again...  We were visiting with a women my wife works with and her husband.  They were going on about how they would like to live in the late 18th century.  Yea, right.  He hunts.  Never gets anything, admits he can't bring himself to shoot any game. She has declared that if he did, she wouldn't eat it.  I have tried to have them over for venison, nooooooo way.
After they talked of living in a time that you might not even have a barber to go to to have your teeth pulled, a time when there was no indoor plumbing, no refrigeration, no antibiotics, no ready made clothing, and most importantly, no store bought meat, I'll be damned if she didn't complain that she hated loading and unloading the dishwasher!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
To all those that wish to live in the "old days" just show them a photo of someone infected with SMALLPOX and that will change there mind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The "Greace" era ('50s) was fun, but only from the perspective of one who was a punk assed, irresponsible teenager at that time. That was me, BTW.

Most "rest room" facilities were "out back". I was 21 years old before I ever lived in a house with indoor plumbing.
"Tail Gunner" Joe McArthy & the House un-American activities Committee blackballing anyone they didn't like. Say the wrong thing to the wrong person, in the wrong place, & you were branded a "Commie" & you could suddenly find yourself on the "outside lookin' in".
Signs in restraunts (sp?) stating "Colored served in sacks to go". This was in the North, BTW.

Most of the people referring back to "the good old days" seem to be intrigued with the drugstore cowboy or spaghetti western aspect, but have never actually smelled horseshit (in the street)  on a really hot summer day.
Would I go back? NO FRIGGIN" WAY!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top