Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2001 12:24:13 PM EDT
I have read many of you talk about your ranges and most mention range "marshalls" if you will.  Others also mention shops, and rentals.

It got me wondering what your ranges are like.

We don't have any kind of shop or store.

Mine is owned by it's members.  I think there are about 2500 of us.  Only about 100 of us shoot on a regular basis.  We have a brand new indoor range with 10 alleys that is up to 75 yards.  We also have three outdoor ranges, two are pistol one is rifle.

The biggest problem is that there isn't anywhere to shoot over 100 yards.

Whenever I go to the range there are very few people there and most of the time there isn't anyone there at all.  I have never seen any kind of range marshall.

Are most ranges so busy that you need a marshall?

What is your range like?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My range is 100,000 square miles of open desert and mountain ranges.  Its great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
My range is my back yard,I shoot off my back porch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1003517&a=7384367&p=49937977&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Like dis [url]www.southrivergunclub.com[/url]

I love my gun club. I want to be cremated in the #8 pistol pit and have my ashes scattered over the 200 yard berm on the rifle range.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like dis [url]www.southrivergunclub.com[/url]

I love my gun club. I want to be cremated in the #8 pistol pit and have my ashes scattered over the 200 yard berm on the rifle range.
View Quote

That is a really cool range!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont really go to a "range" per se. I just drive about 5 miles west of Grand Forks, ND (where I'm going to school) and set up my targets in an open field.

Theres a potato farmer that owns the propery, but he doesnt mind if anyone shoots there. Just as long as you dont leave crap everywhere. We usually try to pick up after ourselves the best we can, but sometimes theres not much point. It is one of those places where some white trash idiots go to drop off an old couch, dishwasher, washing machine, and sometimes the occaisonal computer to blast with a 12 gauge.

A bunch of buddies and I took a keg of beer, a grill and a few thousand round out there to clean it up for the guy.
[uzi]
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
www.nfga.org

North of the Iron Curtain in beautiful free NH!

100 yd range
200-600 yd range depending on the berm used
plinker range
indoor 25 yd range
archery
fishing pond
Practical Pistol Range (see www.nhtag.org)
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My range is 100,000 square miles of open desert and mountain ranges.  Its great.
View Quote
        Me too! How come Ive never seen you there?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
happy hollow gun club,just west of tulsa, outdoor, covered , out to 200 yards open to the public  7 dollars for all day long fun!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Indoor range: 8 lane,50 ft., nothing over handgun caliber, nice with gun shop adjoining

Outdoor range: 100 acres overlooking beautiful river with 25 yds-500yds available
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
its a short off road drive,  private property (not mine,) hills, a sporting clays course, sevral ponds, paintball course , grass runway(yes, the kind planes land on). its a really cool place, i belive it also won the phesants forever habitate award.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Kind of like a big green pasture with a bunch of big trees. It is about 300 yards down to the creek.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#15]
While I live on a hundred acres that I can shoot on, I actually still go to the range quite a bit.

Why?

Luckily I've got two public ranges within thirty minutes from me, both on conservation land open to the public and maintained by the conservation department.

While the ranges are only 100 yard ranges, they are set up rather nice.

And as far as coming across jackasses there....

Well one of them is well known and close to town so everybody goes there.

I always go to the other one that's somewhere in the middle of a labrynthe of gravel roads in the middle of nowhere.

I've seen four people there the last five times I've been there, and they usually stayed an hour while me and my buddy stayed about three hours.

Does anybody else have a state that puts up public ranges like this?

Maybe I'm spoiled.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I either go to BLM land around here (long ditances) or to this one: [url]http://sanjuanrange.com/[/url]  It's for sale...only $1.8 Million.  Hmmm...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I go to Red Castle in sand springs okla. no marshalls or range officers except in matches but we do got two skeet fields, sporting clays, wobble trap, smallbore silhouette, hi-power 500 meter silhouette, 500/600/1000 yard 12 lane hipower target with pit, 200yd benchrest range, pistol range, action pistol, plinking (read: machine gun) range. It be BAD ASS, I highly recommend to anyone around here. and it's only like $50 bucks a year if you have nra. And where else have you seen a vending machine with ammo in it?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Outdoor rifle range- about 100M
Many multi purpose shooting bays up to about 60M

Plenty off steel targets, plates and poopers, to shoot at.  Well water to drink and a covered area for shade to cool off under during the hot summer sun.  And of course the mandatory Porta Potty's.  

Overall a very nice range with reasonanble fees; $40 individual, $50 family annual, $250 lifetime.  Range access is via locked gate that members get combination to.  Open 24/7

Here's a link.
http://www.rollanet.org/~bdelp/cops/

Rob
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Our local range doesn't get a lot of use as I am in a somewhat rural area.I generally go somewhat early as to avoid the rush( sometimes on weekends a half dozen or so people show up) as I get there early many times I have to go down range to make the Moose and/or Caribou move out of the way. I have been going there for many years but on two occasions have run into a Brown Bear down around the 400-500 yard markers so I always carry a rifle if I have to go down range when it's quiet and I am alone(which is most of the time). We can shoot about 600 yards then your in the trees, but the first thing you could hurt beyond would probably be somewhere in Eastern Siberia. Things are tough in Alaska but I'll stay.
 Have a nice evening  Rabon...

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Factoryville Sportsmans Club

12 bench rifle range with covered firing points and 100 and 200 yard tagert backers.

425 yard rifle range with 1 bench.

35 and 50 yard pistol pits with covered firing points.

2 Trap ranges.

5-Stand Sporting Clays range.

A "Through the Woods" Sporting Clays Range.

3-D Archery

ALSO:
We offer IPSC, IDPA, NRA Action Pistol, NRA Rifle and Pistol Silouette, and a Horseshoe pit.

We have a 1600 sq.ft. Clubhouse with a kitchen that is staffed during all advertised shoots and a bar with beer on tap for AFTER shooting. Currently around 300 members.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#21]
New Albany Shooting Range
[url]http://www.nasr.com[/url]

Nice 25 yard indoor range. 50BMG is the only thing restricted. anything else is OK including full auto. I can't seem to find a 100 yard range here in central Ohio. I've had a new mil-dot scope for months now and still haven't sighted it in yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I belong to a gun club and it has an indoor pistol range and  a 200 yd  outdoor rifle and pistol range, as to range masters I have never seen one but then again I only shoot during the week and never on weekends.  

GeoffM24,

What part of Mass do you live in, I am originally from  Bristol County Mass and I know a range I used to go to that you could shoot over 200 yds, maybe even over 300 yds. There were berms set up for at least 300 yds, range was also used by the National Guard.

Sniper for Justice          

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I live in the Springfield area.  My range is only 10 minutes from my house and is open year round with the indoor range, so I joined there.  There are a few other ranges in the area that go out to 300 yards, I just haven't decided if I want to join them too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I live about 25 minutes away from a public shooting range in the Jefferson National Forest, just outside of Blacksburg, VA.

There are 10 covered shooting benches and 4 grass lanes for prone shooting.  Range maxes at 100 meters, but it's basically "anything goes": pistol, rifle, full auto, etc.  Never met a "range master".  We police ourselves (Range hot!) and there's usually a good mix of people and firearms.  There's also a 2 station shotgun range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Seminole County Gun and Archery Association

[url]http://www.scgaa.org[/url]

Is a members only range, but has a public day the first Sunday of every month. I show up every month. It is located in Geneva, FL and the area surronding it is pretty much empty (no homes, etc.) They Have:

Plinking Range -- 25/50 Yards. Absolutely anything that expels a solid (No Exploding, Frangible, Etc.) projectile. This includes Full-Automatic and Shotguns. The range officer said a guy once even used a small mortar (Solid Round)

Training Range -- Never needed it. Don't know much about this range.

Pistol Range --  25/50/100 Yards. Handguns and Rimfire Rifles (.22LR/WMR) Slow, Aimed shots only. No Rapid Fire.

Silhouette Range -- Haven't used it. Tends to be closed during Wildfire Season.

Rifle Range -- 100/200/300 Yards. Rimfire Rifles on the 100 Yard only. Centerfires on any berm. Slow, Aimed Shots Only.

Shotgun Stands -- I believe it's 5-Stand shotgun.

Personally, I like this range. They do not Rent or Loan any kind of equipment. You are expected to bring your own Gun, Ammunition, Earplugs, Eye Protection, and Targets. Plinking Range allows you to set up any non-dangerous (Exploding, Glass, Etc.)
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Mine's a pretty typical small range in New Jersey  [url]http://uweb.superlink.net/donw/crrc/crrc.htm[/url] .  We have two indoor 25 yard ranges, an outdoor bullseye range, a trap range and a rifle range.  The rifle range used to be 200 yards, but the township was worried that we couldn't hit the twenty foot high berm.  We used to have five miles of swamp down range until some idiot built houses there so they could complain about the range.  We built the berm up to thirty feet but that wasn't enough.  Now, we're shooting through sewer pipes.  Two 18" pipes on the ground for prone, with a 30" pipe on top for bench shooting.

We do a fair amount of instruction, have a couple open range days for the public to play with our toys and this August, we're having a "Women's Day At The Range".  [url]http://www.anjrpc.org/womens_day_princeton.htm[/url].

Rarely is there anyone else at the range when I'm practicing.  If anyone's in the neighborhood, we're having a bullseye 2700 this Saturday (23rd) at 9:00AM.

Norm
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Nothing too fancy.  A 25, 50, and 100 meter line run by the MO Department of Conservation, unsupervised and no charge with targets provided.  I used to go to Bass Pro, but got tired of the crowds and the hassle.

My range is the only one in the area which has virtually no rules, ie:  rapid fire and human silhouette/reactive targets allowed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:20:30 AM EDT
[#29]
There are 2 ranges I go to .

1- 15 minutes away

16 station  100 yard rifle/shotgun range
8  station  3-25 yd pistol, remote cotrol targets, station set up at respective distances.
8 station 3-25 yd pistol, targets placed at distance
Open 50 yd range no set stations, targets, probably wide enough for 6 shooters.
Shoot "house"

All are outdoor ranges

2-30 minutes away.
400 acre farm (appx), not currently being farmed, a few head of cattle. It's rolling open terrain in places, rolling wooded in others. Several shootin areas set up, multiple deer stands too. Car paths throughout farm to allow access. Also a set up campsite with a good fire pit. My shooting buddies family is friends with the owner, so I can't go there alone, don't wanna piss the owner off.

Tried to do some coyote hunting the other day, no shot fired 'tho.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine is in my town on the RI. CONN. border and we have 20 station 250 yard range. It has the roof for the shooters, a little clubhouse, and a soda machine when you run out of targets!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:56:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Tucson Rifle Club:  [url]http://www.tucsonrifleclub.org/Facilties.html[/url][sniper]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you tried the Deleware State Park range?  It's right up 23N, about 45min from downtown.  Typical yahoos and it's only 100 yards, but it's OK.  I think there is another 100 yard range south of Columbus at deer creek.

Quoted:
New Albany Shooting Range
[url]http://www.nasr.com[/url]

Nice 25 yard indoor range. 50BMG is the only thing restricted. anything else is OK including full auto. I can't seem to find a 100 yard range here in central Ohio. I've had a new mil-dot scope for months now and still haven't sighted it in yet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Riverside Gun Club in NC.  

"Fred" (real name is Jack, Fred was his dog) of Shotgun News fame is the pres. As you might imagine from his column in SGN, heavy emphasis on "rifleman skills" out to 500yrds with main battle 30 cal weapons.  More and more "poodle poppers" though.  That's a good thing.

2 main ranges.  A pistol/22 cal/black powder range out to 150 yrds....and

The main range has berms at 25, 100, 200, 300, 500 yards.  Regular paper targets, plus military popups at 200, 300, and 500 which are controlled at the line and fall when hit.  A normal monthly shoot for us consists of first, the 25yrd Army AQT, to determine who is a cook and who is a rifleman.  Top cook (closest to 200 points without getting there) wins a copy of the "Klinton book" True Colors. Winners get to claim the title of Rifleman.

Then on to timed events like clear 8.  Clear the popups (4 at 200 and 4 at 300 usually partially hidden by high grass)from the prone position.  Penality for scopes, bonus for bayonette! Winning times are usually 1n the high teens on a good day and there are several Garand, M1A shooters who win consistantly.  AR15's are comming on strong though. Assuming the popups "react" to a 5.56 round at 300yrds. (somewhat like their Somoli target counterparts).

Next is the sniper event.  Two popups at 500 yards, one slightly behind the other.  Hit the bad guy behind the hostage for a kill.  Hit the good guy and the hostage situation is over and your legal problems are just beginning!  Almost always won by an iron sighted Springfield, Mauser, Garand or M1A. Usually takes 3 out of 3 hits and a shoot off.

Next is rattle battle.  As many rounds as you can put into a human sized paper silloett target at 300yrds in 30 seconds. Usually won by an AR closely followed by an M1A or other 30 cal main battle weapon like a STG-58.

Lastly and everyones favorite is the "down range" event.  Timed event with 3 person teams.  Starting from prone clear 8 at 200 and 300 yards then get up, get on line and assault down range downing the popups as they appear. Events ends when you climb the berm at 100 yards and kill the last 8 bad guys.  Winning times are usually around 2 min.  We occasionally run this event with a .50 BMG engaging a target at 500 yards to provide cover (very safety oriented, and supervised as you can imagine) Many times the "down range" event takes place at dusk and it's really a sight to see.  Mt 15 year old loves to light up the night with is 16" Bushy.

Occasionally during any of the events and always unannounced you are asked to move over one place and shoot the event with the next guys weapon....most interesting

Ya'll come we'd love to have you

Semper Fi

Rocketman
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#34]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I dont really go to a "range" per se. I just drive about 5 miles west of Grand Forks, ND (where I'm going to school) and set up my targets in an open field.

Theres a potato farmer that owns the propery, but he doesnt mind if anyone shoots there. Just as long as you dont leave crap everywhere. We usually try to pick up after ourselves the best we can, but sometimes theres not much point. It is one of those places where some white trash idiots go to drop off an old couch, dishwasher, washing machine, and sometimes the occaisonal computer to blast with a 12 gauge.

A bunch of buddies and I took a keg of beer, a grill and a few thousand round out there to clean it up for the guy.
[uzi]
[beer]
View Quote

You get drunk and shoot guns?  I don't think that's a very good idea.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#36]
FatMan-

I'm up here in Blacksburg going to summer school right now.  Maybe we can get together and do some shooting sometime?  Have you ever shot at the Isaak Walton in Christiansburg?  I'm on the clay target team here at Tech and they let us shoot there.  They've got a great archery range as well as a few covered benches with targets out to 200 yards.

ques
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I have my own 250 yard range in my back yard that is maked every 50yds with range/wind flags. Goes into a dirt berm. Its about 60 yds wide by 260yds long and is mowed to the consistency of a golf course. Have two pigeon throwers and a shooting bench set up on it.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I am a member of Cherokee gun club in Gainsville, Georgia.  The club is owned by it's members.  There is a 550 member cap.  We always have a waiting list for people wanting to join.  We have:

4 skeet and trap ranges
6 - 30 yards pistol ranges. 5 people can shoot on each range at the same time
1 - 30 yard sub gun range
1 - 100 yard general purpose range with target stands at 25,50,75,100 yard marks. this range has enough space for 8 people to comfortable shoot at the same time
1 - 200 yard rifle range with target stands at 150, 175 and 200 yards.  Space for 10 shooters at one time.
1 - 100 yard pistol ranges used for competition
and soon we will have a 500 meter range.

This is a great club.  Best money I ever spent.

When I am shooting on the week nights I go to Bulls Eye in Lawrenceville, GA.  They have 4 25 yard rifle bays and 6 or 7 25 yard pistol bays.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Like the NV members, we have alot of open areas to shoot here.  

In inclement weather, or if I don't want to drive too far, I will go to the local outdoor(covered)range.  A couple of the dealers have indoor ranges.  One is a very sweet interactive range(cost prohibitive for me), and the other is a dealer I have had too many guns pointed at me, so I tend to stay away.

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I have two of the nicest ranges I have seen in my local area. Rio Salado & Ben Avery. Ben Avery is a bit more of a drive for me so I have only been there once. I frequent Rio Salado at least 2 to 3 times a month.
Here's some info:
[url]http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com/[/url]
THE FACILITIES:

The club operates on 400 acres of land owned by Maricopa County and the state. The facility is well equipped and maintained, including:

Covered shooting benches with target holders from 25 to 300 yards
A practical pistol range
A covered 40 - position small bore range to 100 meters
Covered long range rifle and pistol silhouette ranges to 500 meters
High power rifle range to 500 yards,
Shotgun - trap
Statistical Office and Restrooms.
A residence for a Range Master is also provided.

The range is open to the public from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., seven days a week. The range is closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving day, Christmas day and New Years day.

Ben Avery:
[url]http://www.basfaz.com/[/url]

The Ben Avery Shooting Facility is a professionally managed and operated, safe, fun, family based, customer friendly, shooting sports recreational facility which provides a quality experience with a homelike atmosphere for a variety of shooting sports activities and events now and well into the future.

The facility covers 1650 acres, the largest public operated shooting facility in the country.  It is owned by the citizens of Arizona and operated by the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

John

Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I go to 2
the indoor 75 foot Santa Anita Range, Monrovia Calif(WWW.SANTAANITAFIRINGRANGE.COM) with 25 lines.  Rental guns, targets, ammo, nice lobby, etc.  One day I rolled up to the range and the man said they they were closed to shoot a movies.  The movie Lethal Weapon I with Mel Gibson and Danny Glover was filmed there.  They also have the original "smilly face" target and vest used in the movies hanging on the wall with Mel's autograph.

outdoor Angeles Shooting Ranges, Inc. San Fernando Calif.(wwww.angelesranges.com) with a range for rifle and a range for pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top