Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2001 9:44:24 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with Kevlar AR15 lowers??

The seller claims its a legal pistol lower, and that kevlar is lighter than aluminum, but stronger than steel.

Isn't kevlar just a high dollar plastic???

The price makes it look interesting, but.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked about those but everyone said they might be crap because Hesse makes them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep asking for more input, I keep looking for them, I want to see one up close. Sidx built an AR on a stripped lower and posted pictures of it, said the fit was tight, the finish was a bit abused. Personally, I think this might be the one thing Hesse might not be able to screw up. I'm considering buying one for my next postban, with a Bushmaster kit. The weight and strength, and the fact that Hesse might not be able to screw up a one piece design, from a mold, make it very attractive, at least in theory.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Can a current production lower be a legal pistol lower also???

The seller says this is a kevlar legal pistol lower.

What's the difference between a legal pistol lower, and a preban???
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can a current production lower be a legal pistol lower also???

The seller says this is a kevlar legal pistol lower.

What's the difference between a legal pistol lower, and a preban???
View Quote

Yes, a postban can be a pistol lower, as long as it is under 50 ounces complete, and doesn't have the evil pistol features, and it will be legal. I don't remember what the banned features for pistols are, they're not the same as the rifle features, but someone should have a copy of the text sitting around. With a preban pistol of course, you could have all of the banned features, whatever they may be.
One I remeber was that it couldn't be equipped to have an extra magazine on the outside of it attached.

I don't know if any of the AR15 pistol kits for sale are under 50 oz with this lower, but some of them should be. This thing is apparently really light.

We should really be dealing with the more serious question of why on earth you want an AR15 type pistol...[;)]

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to add, the only difference between this lower and the "rifle" lower, is that this one was logged onto his books as a pistol receiver.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We should really be dealing with the more serious question of why on earth you want an AR15 type pistol...[;)]

Juggernaut[%(]
View Quote

Because I can????

Actually, I had (perhaps wrongly) assumed that if it was a pistol lower, it was also preban.

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Juggernaut[%(]
View Quote

Because I can????

Actually, I had (perhaps wrongly) assumed that if it was a pistol lower, it was also preban.

View Quote

"Because I can" is good enough for me.[:)]

These are the first of the postban lowers that really could be designated designated as pistol lowers. So, no, not preban because of the pistol designation.

AR15 pistols have been "illegal" to build since '94 because, except for the Carbon 15, aluminum lowers were all too heavy put more than half the parts on it. Now that we have the Kevlar lowers, you can stay under the 50 oz limit. Probably can't have a flashider on it though, I'll bet that's one of the features, and the muzzleblast from a 9" barrel will be amazing.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anybody do carbon fiber lowers other than Pro Ord?  That stuff is better than kevlar.
Ice
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, if it's a postban gun, you can't have a forearm or handguards (to be able to hold it with two hands). This is overcome by gripping the front of the receiver mag well/magazine.

I've seen AR-series pistols that were built using aluminum receivers... They had about 70 holes drilled through them. Even the pistol grip was swiss-cheesed.

Edited for spellun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey -

If I get the postban pistol lower, I wonder if I could get a pistol caliber upper (like Oly Arms sells) to make a look-a-like for the HKMP5PDW (or whatever the heck it is called)??

See it here....

[url]www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0600/651.htm[/url]

Whadda ya think???

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm. An NFA weapon, eh?

Well, you would be creating an AOW by placing the grip on there... I'm not sure about this (read: disclaimer), but I don't remember if you can make it an AOW yourself, or have to get it done by a Class2 manufacturer. I seem to remember something about it only being done by the latter, or having to leave the factory that way.
Either way, I'm sure it's possible, only you wouldn't be able to put a buttstock of any kind on it (collapsible, folding, or otherwise). Let us know when it's ready!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've seen AR-series pistols that were built using aluminum receivers... They had about 70 holes drilled through them. Even the pistol grip was swiss-cheesed.

Edited for spellun.
View Quote

LOL-I guess you could do that too! As 7 years of postban AR's prove, there's always a way around the ban.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I called Olympic Arms, and they USED TO manufacture uppers like what I'm describing, in 9mm. They were similar to the OA93 configuration.

They said they wouldn't build just one, but if we could do a group purchase of like 50 or so....

WHO'S WITH ME???!?!!!!????!!??!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top