Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 8:36:46 PM EDT
saw one on history channel and got me thinking about how much i hate my bolt action. for the record, i have a ruger m77 stainless 25-06. i like the round, but not how rare it is. i fing the action on the gun to be a bit shakey at times. im thinking about maybe a PSS. proly in 308. is their a source of these things new, or am i gonna have to but one at online auction? can a dealer. i know remington only wants cops to have um, but might i find a dealer that will sell me one anyway? what price an i looking at? right now im seeing about 600$ anything else an this rifle would be apreceated.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone can buy a Remington 700Police rifle... it's a nice rifle... i had one... loved it, shot it, and then sold it  ; )

Thinking of getting another one

You won't be disappointed with it... heavy sucker, but nice shooter

and yes, you can buy them new.

happy shooting.  Jeff C/NY~~Blade
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Blade, Remington has directed their distributers and dealers not to sell the PSS to the general public - although many still do.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a PSS LTR (20" barell) for sale on TFL: [url]http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70235[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it will be my next gun that i buy
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You can probably buy one of Remington Varmit 700 rifle, flutted barrel optional, I think they're the same mechanically.

The only difference that I see are the stock and you can purchase the PSS stock from Brownells, I think it is made by H-S precision for around 250.  The stock that came with the varmit is pretty darn good if you ask me.  The price difference between a Varmit and PSS is approximately 100 dollars.

Maybe someone else out there can confirm or dispute that the 700 varmit is almost the same as a PSS in a mechanical sense.  

I purchase a 700 varmit in .308 and it shoot sub MOA all day long with match ammo.  I plan on installing a Shilen trigger not too long in the future.  Lemme know if you're interested and I can e-mail you a pic of my PSS look alike.

John
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Shilen has had some quality control issues of late- you might be better off with a Timney trigger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a good Dealer he can get you a PSS, I was looking for a good rifle on which to build from I looked at the PSS but I found the Winchester Stealth more to my liking so I ordered one,You may wish to look at one. If you intend on building from this type of rifle I would stay with the Remington or Winchester as it will save you a great deal of trouble as you progress along.
          Good Luck,  Rabon...
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blade, Remington has directed their distributers and dealers not to sell the PSS to the general public - although many still do.
View Quote

hi Gunrunner!
thanks for the info, i had not realized that... i wonder what the rationale for that policy is?

now i regret more than ever selling that off, sigh.

oh, well, perhaps it is time to start seeking out another bolt gun  ; )

while i decide, i'll have a chance to save some more money.

Jeff C/NY~~Blade
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The PSS is pretty close to the model 700 Sendero, you can get it in a number of calibers.  You can get it with the heavy barrell or a fluted barrell also.  All you have to add is the bipod and a good scope
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two PSS in 308
All they needed was a trigger.One now has a Jewell,the other a worked on factory trigger.The factory barrels are not great but both shoot into 1/2moa.They are now called 700P,no more PSS.I can't tell a difference.They are only available now through Rem LE distributors,but any FFL can buy them and sell you one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Troy
Sounds misleading to call it an FN Herstal
It is just a US Winchester 70 relabeled
It is a nice gun but the 700 action is stiffer and easier to bed,though the blocks take care of that
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If you can get one, the early PSS were assembled in the custom shop and had special run 5R barrels.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[img]www.fnmfg.com/lawenf/rifle/sniper.gif[/img]

A highly accurate, dependable rifle is now an integral part of today's tactical team.  The new FN Special Police Rifle from FN Herstal combines the best of traditional design with the latest materials and manufacturing techniques.  The result is a tactical rifle with exceptional accuracy and reliability.

Benefits:
Controlled round feed action: most reliable feeding, extraction, and ejection system made.
Three position safety and bolt lock: bolt handle can be locked down or opened with rifle on safe.
Detachable box magazine: rifle can be quickly loaded or unloaded.
Rotary forged special alloy barrel: chrome plated bore for superior accuracy and long barrel life.
Corrosion resistant finish: manganese phosphate on barreled action with over 20 stainless steel internal parts.
H-S Precision Pro-Series stock: aluminum bedding block stiffens action to enhance accuracy.

Technical Data:
Caliber: 308 WIN
Weight with empty magazine: 9.88 lbs. (4.47 kg)
Overall length: 45.75 in (116 cm)
Barrel length: 26 in (660mm)
Rate of twist: 1 turn in 12 in (305 mm)
Magazine capacity: 4 - removable box
Operating principle: controlled round feed, bolt action
Stock: H-S Precision Pro Series

[url]www.fnmfg.com/lawenf/rifle/riflemain.htm[/url]

If I didn't already own a .308 PSS, I would buy the new FN rifle.  It has the pre-64 style Winchester "Classic" controlled-feed action (i.e., Mauser 98) and a chrome bore.  It is also a .3-.4 MOA shooter.  :)

-Troy
View Quote

I am a winchester man. I like the safty better then the remington. I think the action will compare to the remington. I think when people say that the remington is a better action they are comparing them at such a high level that they are just splitting hairs. Both rifles will do a great job on the target range and be great varmint guns. I will get the winchester at a latter date. They are called the stelth in the winchester catologue. I own a heavy varmint in 223 and that is the same as the stelth with a ss bbl. I want one in 308 also. You wont go wrong with the winchester/FN model.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Are the differences in the VS and PSS only for right handed rifles? I fairly recently purchased a VS in .308 left hand and the barrel is matte, wide forearm and the bolt is not polished. I had to go that route because Remington does not catalog a left handed PSS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top