Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:24 PM EDT
Is this pretty much a "screw the parts together" job? Or will it take some serious experience and skill to get it to come out right.

I want to acquire a telecaster type guitar, but with a 24.75" scale length, chambered body (to make it as light as possible), rosewood fret board, and some good noiseless single coil pickups (possibly kinmans if I can find a used set or choke out enough cash to buy them new).

Seems like a parts guitar is the way to go to get all of these specs in one guitar.

Can someone who hasn't done this before get it to come out well, or would you be more likely to fuck it up.

I can run a sander, screwdriver, soldering iron, so I'm tempted to have a go at it.

Is there more to it that I'm not expecting?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Just don't have any NFA part lying around.

It's illegal to even possess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

wft are you talking about?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagocaster

Always wanted to try this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't remember the standard Fender scale length, 25.5, I think? Gibson is 24 3/4, I know.

You can do a 24 3/4 scale on a Fender style. Buddy Blaze made a bunch. Viv Campbell used to play them. I always wanted one. Never could afford it before I quit playing. I like the 24 3/4" scale better. I put a Floyd Rose on my Gibson Explorer. Took me a while and it turned out okay. I didn't want to rush it. That and fear of firewood. I used a Dremel with the router attachment. Get good plans and measure 3 or 4 times because no matter how many times you cut it, it'll still be too short.

I would have liked the Tele better if it had a shorter scale. A friend had one with the Parson's B string bender on it. It was kind of cool.

Good luck.

Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i've got a buddy that's done 2 or 3 of them.  you can specify everything down to the degree that no cutting or even sanding is required.  you can also get finishes pre applied to the necks and the bodies.  carvin offers a complete strat kit for ~$400 i think- all the pieces are there, all you need is a few tools and some time.  i think the warmoth stuff is top notch though.  both of this guy's guitars sounded REALLY good, and the fit and finish was/is great on both.  sorry i don't know more, but most people who do it wind up being satisfied with the end product.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built a guitar with parts from Warmoth.  Ordered the parts on 9/11/01 in fact, I ordered every single part from them besides the strings and pickups (because they didn't sell EMGs).  

I was actually really surprised at how simple it was.  I built the guitar as my Senior Project in High School, and I had to have a mentor, so I had a local luthier help me out, but I really didn't need him.  All you really need to able to do is read the wiring diagram for the pickups, other than that, its all pretty straight forward.  I would definatley recommend a trussrod adjustment after you finish it up.  

The guitar I built is listed on the warmoth website, here:
just look for "Brian Hames"
Warmoth Misc Gallery

The guitar part of the project took me about 4 or 5 hours to build, however the diamond plate face I made for it took around 16 hours.  Cost me around $1000 in the end.  Have fun!

Brian
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wft are you talking about?

Preban necks with hi capacity tuners and graphite nuts...   You can't have all of those on a post ban axe man.  You're just askin for time at Club Fed!!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Easy stuff- I've made a couple.

You just have to make sure the bridge is exactly 24 & 3/4 or 25 1/2 from the nut,
otherwise it will not be tuneable.  If you get a 24 & 3/4 scale neck, make sure
you get a body with the holes predrilled for 24 & 3/4 scale bridge, not 25 1/2.

Also, the only real tricky part is filing the slots in the nut, but Stewmac used to sell
a pre slotted nut.  Even if they don't-  nuts are cheap, and you can screw up 1 or 2
and not be out much dough at all.

You have to have a basic knowledge of electronics.  If you fiddle with guns and can
figure it out, then following a schematic with a cheap soldering iron is easy.

I've gotten some REALLY nice bodies and necks from Warmoth.   Stewmac bodies
and necks have crappier finishes on them, they just buy the bodies as parts from
a huge factory in China I imagine, whereas Warmoth is a bunch of hippy woodworkers
who really put heart and sweat into deep glossy finishes, and excellent necks.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy a Carvin kit. They are basically "screw together" and you're done. Wiring is pre-done, slots cut in the nut, and all you have to do is finish it (or order it finished). Plus, the real upside is they are very nice guitars, and much cheaper than Warmoth.

I've built 10 or so, from scratch to screw together builds. None of it is rocket science, but if you're just looking to slap one together, definately go Carvin.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The Partsocasters from Warmoth are as good or better than Fender guitars.

They are real simple to put together, and I recomend a Tusk nut fromGraph Tech

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
It's actually not that hard and quite fun as well.  Warmoth products are very good stuff.  The most important step in building your guiatar is the wood prep.  This takes a ton of time but the payoff is worth it.  This is a photo of my current guitar project and my first as well.

It's going to be a 52 Tele when I get done.  I need to get the neck however I got sidetracked with some AR parts after the AWB sunsetted.  I will finish it up this spring.  I recommend a nitro finish which is what I did.  For nitro in a can that works really well try Guitar ReRanch.  They have some good products and a very good forum on refinishing and building guitars as well as detailed instructions on wood prep and finishing.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the replies ... doesn't sound too tough

the diamond plate Explorer looks pretty cool

spm681: the finish looks good on yours ... what did you use? I'm thinking about putting an oil finish on mine when I get around to doing it.

As for the nut, I'm thinking of buying a precut compensated nut.

Now I just have to make sure the job is secure in the next few weeks and I can pull the trigger on some parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been building them for years.....if you are very familiar with guitars, understand the electronics, handy with tools....its not rocket science. The most important, critical part is fitting the neck correctly. The right angle is a must to avoid fret buzz.....and even more important is getting the length correct....off by just a bit and the intonation will never allow you to tune to pitch.

Not all that hard as long as you understand the basics of setting up the neck. If you can do the neck joint...the rest is a breeze...good luck and post pics....dont hesitate to IM if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The finish I used is a nitro cellular butterscotch blonde with a clear high gloss nitro top coat.  The photos do not do the guitar justice.  The finish after wet sanding and final buffing looks like liquid glass.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey,  If you do decide to build a guitar buy your stuff from Warmoth Guitars.  Ken Warmoth is one of the owners along with his brothers.  He's a great guy, Viet Nam vet and a serious gun nut.  He has at least a couple of pre-ban ARs and other stuff.  He is also a supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights.  Ken's with us all the way.  My son is also married to his daughter who is the office manager for Warmoth Guitars.  I know it sounds like an add but he sells a first class product, you won't be sorry using his parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey,  If you do decide to build a guitar buy your stuff from Warmoth Guitars.  Ken Warmoth is one of the owners along with his brothers.  He's a great guy, Viet Nam vet and a serious gun nut.  He has at least a couple of pre-ban ARs and other stuff.  He is also a supporter of 2nd Amendment Rights.  Ken's with us all the way.  My son is also married to his daughter who is the office manager for Warmoth Guitars.  I know it sounds like an add but he sells a first class product, you won't be sorry using his parts.

I'd planned on going with them already just based on good reputation on the net ... that info makes it an even easier decision.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of the best playing guitars that I have ever owned/played have been Warmoth and Charvel 'parts' guitars.

Very hard to see, but the one in the rear is a Warmoth Flamed Birdseye Maple Strat.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have always wanted to replce my fender Strat body with a Warmoth.  They are made from alot nicer wood.  Even nicer then the USA models like mine.

I love the Fender necks though. All maple
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have always wanted to replce my fender Strat body with a Warmoth.  They are made from alot nicer wood.  Even nicer then the USA models like mine.

I love the Fender necks though. All maple

I still have a spare ALL maple reverse strathead Warmoth neck sitting here on my desk. It needs a new home.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
talk about wallet tempting:

all indian rosewood hardtail strat body

all indian rosewood strat neck

need money and secure job .... ugh

of course, it wouldn't sound very good with that wood combo, but it would look great.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top