Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2001 6:42:58 AM EDT
It seems like I should know this but I don't.  What was the bullet weight in the issue rds. for the M1?  Is firing rds. with heavier bullets harder on the ole girl?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Three types:

175 grs. ball M1 fmjbt. Developed for M1903 but not so much suitable for Garands and semiauto in general.

150 grs. ball M2 fmjft. Developed specifcally for the Garand. The flat tail to minimize barrel erosion.

168 gr. AP.

I heard also of a specific ammo for National Match Garand...
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info!
John
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The M1 ball, with about 180 grain bullet, was the standard ammo during the time the Garand was being developed. The rifle was specifically designed for such ammo, and the later change to 150 grain flatbase bullets in the M2 ball was supposed to be because the 180 grain boattails were shooting beyond the safety zones on established military firing ranges.

This all according to Julian Hatcher in his "Book of the Garand" and/or "Hatcher's Notebook."

It does seem to me like the 150 grainers would be easier on the action, but what do I know?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
My Garand is a 1945 Springfield.  I got from the CMP.  The only thing I have changed is the stock. I went with a Ramline.
Anyway...
150 was usually the standard round.
I use Sierra 168gr BT for competition.
I get better accuracy with these than any other grain bullet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my springfield from DCM for 165.00 when I lived in CA.  The range I belonged to was sponsored by DCM so we got eight loaner rifles (one was a beautiful Winchester!), and free ammo till the govt. ran out.  I never had to worry about ammo for the matches so I never thought about it.  Since I moved to UT I haven't joined a club or shot any highpower.  I've been too busy riding dirtbikes and shooting with the kids!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top