BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2001 5:54:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
nice pics, good quality too
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a Tiger Tank? Can't be too many of those left. Why do they have a tarp over the barrel? Any aircraft pics?

It might be just my imagination, but doesn't that 82nd Airborne dude remind you of Jerry Lewis? [thinking]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought there were something like 8 Tiger I's left with only 1 in running condition, in private hands anyway.

I didn't think the US mounted .50's on jeeps, if you fire to the side the recoil is to much for the jeep.

Cool pictures, thanx for sharing
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]

I didn't think the US mounted .50's on jeeps, if you fire to the side the recoil is to much for the jeep.

View Quote

You mean the Rat Patrol wasn't real! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well ya, the Rat Patrol was.......
I thought .30's were the way to go on jeeps. Bigger vehicles got bigger guns tho'.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Another observation: How would you like to be a crew member on the Sherman, going up against that Tiger! Man, those guys must have had iron nuts.That Sherman looks like a Tonka Toy in comparison. [xx(]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
1354 was total production on Tiger I's
60,000(IIRC) total production on Shermans

Plus the Germans didn't have an effective air force by the time the US showed up. But the US had the US Army Air Force, they got support when they needed it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:(:

Plus the Germans didn't have an effective air force by the time the US showed up. But the US had the US Army Air Force, they got support when they needed it.
View Quote

Very true. Those Typhoons and Thunderbolts sure did a heck of a job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:(:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well ya, the Rat Patrol was.......
I thought .30's were the way to go on jeeps. Bigger vehicles got bigger guns tho'.
View Quote

Can't ever remember seeing a .50 on a jeep but we had a 106 recoiless rifle on a jeep in Nam. It had a .50 spotter barrel attached to it, zeroed to the 106 point of aim. Fire a tracer with the .50 and if it hit close to the bad guys then fire the 106. Never seen either on used. Not really made for the jungle. Obsolete now.[rail]

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't ever remember seeing a .50 on a jeep but we had a 106 recoiless rifle on a jeep in Nam. It had a .50 spotter barrel attached to it, zeroed to the 106 point of aim. Fire a tracer with the .50 and if it hit close to the bad guys then fire the 106. Never seen either on used. Not really made for the jungle. Obsolete now.[rail]

View Quote

What was the minimum(safe) distance for that backblast? Effective range of the 106?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]

[img]http://www.ecis.com/~weasel/temp/German%20Tiger%2001.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Rosie's body guards!
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]http://www.ecis.com/~weasel/temp/German%20Tiger%2001.jpg[/img]

Please, unless your buying, don't touch the tank.

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]
hey Pete! I was also there today and took my son (he loved the F/A-18 and the B-1B....great show, but I did not see you.

I enjoyed the armor as well. Give me a ring on Monday when you get a chance.

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DVD Tracker:
That guy on the right... "You there, where are your papers?"

View Quote

Good one...[:)] Is that lady in the background trying to strangle herself? [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice shots.. Thanks for sharing them. Didn't know there were any Tigers still in existence outside a museum. Is that one a Hollywood re-made one? Any how.. Cool !
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 2:46:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Nonetheless, the Sherman was a death trap. The numbers you've mentioned illustrate that the allied strategy was simply to outproduce the Nazis, the tank crews were expendable.
Additionally, there were different versions of the Tiger. The best way to deal with a Tiger was to avoid it, I'm told. Which was fairly easy to do--it just kept getting bigger and slower as the war went on(Hitler kept micromanaging the plans).Eventually, it became a slow, direct fire artillery platform for the 88. Great for defense, but, as you've noted, helpless against air power (and fast moving infantry). It couldn't move fast enough to hide or get out of its own way.

The German tank to watch out for was the Panther. It was relatively agile, well enough armored, with a superb gun, and could pick off Shermans all day.

Plus the Germans didn't have an effective air force by the time the US showed up. But the US had the US Army Air Force, they got support when they needed it.[/quote]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]
1354 Tiger I's in all the minor variations
450  Tiger II's (appx) In all the minor variations
6,000 Panthers (IIRC) in all the variations

60,000 Shermans in all the variations.

Plus most of the German war effort was against the Russians who had ton's of tanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#22]
No argument with the Nazis, but the Redcoats? Jeez. [thinking]
Remember that you're looking at the American Revolution through 20/20 hindsight. At the time, fully one-third of the population felt the the revolution was a descent into mob rule, stage-managed by people like Sam Adams (whose ONLY skill was being a professional troublemaker and sloganeer. This would make the rebels a THREAT to their British freedoms and everything that they held sacred. Governor Hutchinson, the frequent target of Adams' mob violence, once stated that he'd rather be ruled over by one tyrant 3000 miles away than 3000 tyrants next door. They burned his house down and threatened his family.
After the war, there was a witch hunt. Tories had property confiscated and were forced into mass-migration to places like Nova Scotia.
Furthermore, the last thing the architects of the Revolution wanted was taxation with representation. They wanted NO taxation and, admittedly, the Brits out.
The revolution, as a truly democratic social experiment, IMHO, evolved as the war went on and postions hardened. It also has evolved as an idea ever since. You could say that your posting is a manifestation of that evolution's capacity to continue. As Americans, we are ever self defining.
Don't tell any of my Irish relatives that I said this, but the Brits weren't the enemies of freedom. At least not at the beginning--and maybe not even at the end.

The loyalists had a humane, defensible case. The Nazis didn't.

Quoted:
I just wonder about the mind-set of Americans who voluntarily dress-up as, and assume the identities of the enemies of freedom, such as Redcoats and Nazis.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#23]

The .50 doesent have any recoil - it just sorta
shakes -  Crap a Ma Duece weighs about 100 lbs.

Wont flip a jeep - no way

[heavy]

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#24]
No, it won't flip it. The jeep is a narrow track, top heavy to start with, the weight of the .50 BMG would make it more so. The size of the .50 would make it tough to manage. If you moved it 90 deg. left or right and fire a burst it would "rock" the jeep. That would make it very difficult to fire accurately. The military felt the rocking was managable with a .30. Plus no one would use the jeep as an "assault truck". it was probably used more for scouting, convoy protection etc. They probably fel the .30 had enough punch for those type of missions.

I was a '60 gunner when I was in the Army 83-86, and had a jeep mount for the '60. I asked why we couldn't just put a .50 on instead during AIT, some E-8, E-9 said that was a bad idea due to the recoil. I think he may have "been in the know".
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Thats some nice old stuff, but did you guys get to see the two Joint Strike Fighter prototype aircraft at the airshow?  I'm not talking about mock-ups, I mean the actual two planes the US Navy is evaluating to determine which one will be the one aircraft for all the armed services.  Sometimes living near the Navy's Test Pilot School and one of the biggest R&D bases sure helps for seeing interesting stuff on the flight-line.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#29]
***Plus most of the German war effort was against the Russians who had ton's of tanks.

Most of the Russian's tanks (and trucks and jeeps and a large percentage of their aircraft) were made in the USA, a fact the Russians do not readily acknowledge.

US Merchant Marine had a 90% loss rate on ships making the "Murmansk Run" to deliver this stuff through the end of 1943 or so.

The old Soviet Union may have done the lion's share of the fighting in Europe during WWII, but they were doing it with American weapons.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Hate to say this but,i think that is BS, natez

All the T34s and PE2s and the rest of their tanks and planes made domestically do not count you say. May i ask where you got these figures
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#31]
They built: SU-76(24,000), SU-85(3,800), SU-100(3,300), SU-122(1,100), SU-152(704), ISU 122/152(4,075) tank destroyers.

And: BT-2-BT-8(8,000), T-26(14,000), T-34(35,000), T-34/85(20,000), KV-1(5,000) Joe Stalin I(100), Joe Stalin II(7,500), and Joe Stalin III(350) tanks.

And: IL-2, IL-2M, I-16, Yak Fighter, LaGG-3, and La-5 fighter/bombers.

We did send them 2000 M-4 Shermans, 1386 M3M Lee's(coffin for 7 comrades),and 1084 Matilda MkII's, under Lend-Lease.

They made most of their own tanks. They had few domestic trucks, they did have their own version of the jeep(rare). We did send them trucks like crazy. We were the only country that had close to enough. We also sent a lot of half-tracks.

Most of the planes we gave them were P-40's and P-39's because we were through with them.

90% loss is not accurate, there were some convoy's that got crushed thanx to Tripitz, Scharnhorst, Gniesanau(sp), and Admiral Hipper. More than a few got through unscathed.

And in checking the US made 49,000 total Shermans.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DVD Tracker:
Quoted:
I just wonder about the mind-set of Americans who voluntarily dress-up as, and assume the identities of the enemies of freedom, such as Redcoats and Nazis.
View Quote

The GI reenactor in the picture above was explaining to those kids how those Germans on the Tiger next to him were just a fighting unit - no deathcamp Nazi stuff.  Then he went on to explain that the head dress they are wearing is accurate.  The German tankers didn't use helmets, while the US did (see the helmet in his hand).
View Quote

So you all would prefer to destroy everything that had to do with Nazi Germany during WWII??? There are plenty of people who collect uniforms and artifacts from WWII Germany partially because so much of it WAS destroyed after the war. Unfortunately, the GI bring-homes are really the only wholesale surviving products that made it home and they should be treasured. Whoever actually owns a Tiger tank must have a HUGE wallet. I didn't think those things made it past the scrap melt downs that occurred after the war.

Does anyone know of any good websites that deal with WWII collections off hand?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I see the "SS" lightning stripes on the collar tabs. I have no problem with wearing apropriate uniform, and tabs to be a re-enactor. But, IIRC the Tiger I/II's were not assigned to SS units, they were assigned to "independent" heavy tank battalions. They were used like fire fighters, they went where the fires were. Panthers were assigned on a division level including to SS. I guess I would wonder why they would were "SS" insignia if they are potraying a Tiger crew. Unless the Tiger owner needed some re-enacators and they were available. Just wondering
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top