Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2001 6:50:18 AM EDT
As the M60 was laying down fire it started getting red hot, how many rounds can your fire before destroying the barrel?

What did people do in Vietnam if they had to fight for hours?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I think 100 rpm barrel changes every 10 minutes
200 rpm barrel change every minute. (IIRC)

Barrels will droop if you get'em to hot I would guess you would need a very long belt 500-1000 to really do it. The M-60 is supposed to be fired in 6-9 round bursts not continuously. I think in real combat it would be tougher to keep enough ammo close by to really melt a barrel if it was foot infantry.  

Most Inf. in Vietnam split up the support ammo amongst the squad, 7.62 belt, mortar rounds, LAW rockets, M-79 rounds. Plus they carried a ton of .223. If you were the 60 gunner and you ran out of ammo your ass would be grass if you survived the fire-fight. The rest of the squad/platoon would want to know exactly why you burned through all the ammo.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that was a SAW in Proof of Life, not a '60.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top