Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 7:55:46 PM EDT
Hello everyone.  This is my first post, and as I am sure you can tell by the title, I am trying to decide which AR to purchase.  I am sure you have seen this question too many times to remember, but please bear with me, as I may have to depend on this rifle someday.

First - my purpose for it.  I will not be doing any competition shooting with it.  I am a law enforcement officer that will be using it for patrol purposes should TSHTF.

Second - I know little about AR's, but through asking some of my associates, I have had 3 particular brands brought to my attention.  They are. . . colt, Bushmaster, and DPMS.  

I want something reliable, but it doesn't have to be fancy.  For example, I will have no need to put a rocket launcher on it at any time.  It needs to be a 16" carbine.  I would bombard y'all with links to the ones that I am considering, but seeing as how you are more familiar with the subject than I, I am hoping that based on this information alone, that you can help me to decide on the right rifle for me.  Price is not too big of an issue, however, I don't want to have to get another mortgage on the house either ($900 or less pref.)

I appreciate any advice given.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster Dissipator w/ LE collapsible stock.  You get the accuracy of a full sight radius of the 20" AR, with the convenience of the 16" bbl.  It's worth checking out-
[url]http://bushmaster.com/le/weapons/bushmaster_xm15_e2s_dissipator_16.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello!
You may ignite a debate here with "Which is the best between Bushy, Colt, and DPMS..."
But here's my opinion.
There is no better AR15 rifle out there at any cost then DPMS'.
This includes Armalite, and various custom builds. DPMS rifles will shoot better then the shooter 99.999% of the time, the extra couplea bucks you spend on them are worth it.
Any rifle in the DPMS line would suit any LEO application to the n'th degree.
They are the best IMO, and I will debate this until the day I die.

GrowingGrass
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me know what you eventually decide upon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If your wanting a preban with a collapsible stock I would recommend a Bushmaster. If a postban is what your wanting then follow this link, it will give you more answers than you have questions about the [b]BEST[/b] carbine length AR15 that you can buy at a very good price!!!

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60[/url]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
BTT-

C'MON FELLOW DPMS GUYS! HELP THIS GUY GET THE RIGHT GUN!

The only reason Bushy is wining is because that's what these guys have!

Let's hear from some DPMS dudes!

My Dad's Sweet 16 is the best AR I have ever shot...I own 3, my Borther owns a bunch, and my dad now owns 7--- Colts, Armalites, Bushy's, Olys, and 1 DPMS Sweet 16---1/4 MOA at 100. Really.
We all agree that if we could only take 1 AR out of all out guns, it would be the DPMS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a LE Bushmaster M4 flattop.  Gives you more options for optics.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
HMMM, sounds like McGrowing grass owns a McDPMS
I vote Bushmaster...cuz I done does owned one, yuk yuk yuk....
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

The only reason Bushy is wining is because that's what these guys have!

View Quote

I know. I admit I'm biased, but I have a Bushy 20" that I purchased three years ago. None, zero,naddah problems in  2500rnds. This is the only weapon I own that I can say that about. Even my SKS malfunctioned-(once.) Believe me, this is coming from a guy who has had problems with just about every gun I have ever purchased. I swear to god, if I bought a Sig, Rem 870, Glock, whatever, it wouldn't function for me! Bushmaster broke my curse! I pledge allegiance to the mighty Viper...[flag]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a DPMS and a bushy. The DPMS is touchy about mags and ammo, and malfunctions frequently if you make it mad.  The Bush has had 2 failures in 3000 rounds, one due toa bad mag, and one FTE because I failed to clean under the extractor.  Get a Bushmaster.  THE SNAKE RULES.........
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a look at my pre-ban Bushmaster Dissipator.
In this photo set, the gun has the Hogue grip and forend; Vortex flash suppressor; the new fixed "TeleStyle" buttstock,(which works with both short or long gas tubes); the Redi-Mag extra magazine holder; Pro-Mag 20-rd. magazines; a KAGER hooded-crosshair front sight(which I need to get dialed in); and a really cheap Chinese BEC 4x22 handle mount scope.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/gZ/zz/kf/QM69298.jpg[/img]

For a LEO Cruiser Carbine I'd recommend that you look at the Bushmaster Dissipator A3 flat-top design with the full front sight;
add the A2 removeable sight handle so you can USE the front sight...;
get the "TeleStyle" buttstock;
don't fret about a bayonet lug;
don't worry too much about muzzle flash and get the clean bbl. to make cleaning easier and save your hearing;
possibly consider the fluted bbl. option to save a few ounces in weight.

Some guys don't like the Pro-Mags.  I do.

You can save money by not getting the LEO version, because you'd have to turn it in when or if you quit...
You can keep a "post-ban" rifle if you should leave the Job, and, it's less money.

Call the guys at Bushmaster.  Look at the Industry Forums here, too, under "Other Forums".
Good Luck and have fun getting the rifle YOU want...

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
nobody suggested a LEGP?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice.  There was an observation brought up that I had not thought of.  If I am going to spend my own money for this, I would like to be able to keep it and have something to show for it.  I hadn't considered that the department would be the "owner" of the rifle if I bought the LE versions.

In that case, I suppose I should buy a regular version, and outfit it with all the LE goodies, so I can just put back on the regular stuff when I retire.  That changes my question entirely then.  Since Colt only sells to LE or Govt., that rules them out.  And by popular voting so far, it seems that Bushmaster gets the nod.  I looked at their website and the M4 carbine looks interesting.  I can only assume that I can get the short stock and larger cap mags for it.  Any experience with this model?  Should I be looking elsewhere?  Again, thanks for all the advice and insight so far, keep it coming!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#16]
The LEGP

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=15#lastPost[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I am a NJ LEO. I have a Bushmaster Flattop 16, heavy fluted barrel, full stock, It shoots great, cost me $ 900 and change. I love it. It also stores in a 6 handgun pistol case with 2 1911s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top