Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 9:30:54 AM EDT
I'm familiar with the famous Remington 700, but I don't know what the Sendero version is.  There's a guy selling one locally for $575 in .300WinMag.  Can anybody give me any info on just what a Sendero is?

Ross

Edited to change "infamous" to "famous".  Still don't know what a Sendero is though.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Why is the 700 "infamous"?  I love my Remington 700VS in .223
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I suppose a better word would have been 'famous' [:)].  So what is a Sendero?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The Senderos have a heavy barrel, matte finish, HS Precision stock with a wierd stringy black/grey marbled texture.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
usually, 700s don't have free-floating barrel. Sendero rifles do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
....and I thought they were stainless only with fluted barrels.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Senderos are just long action versions of the Varmint Synthetics.

VS=short action synthetic stock
Sendero=long action synthetic stock

Both are 700s

The Sendero is offered in a fluted stainless barreled version.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks ug.

But whats the diff between a PSS that's not stainless and fluted, say in .308 or .223?

Just the stock?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The PSS has a different stock and it also gets a parkarized finish.

The VS and Sendero have a type of expoxy paint finish I'm pretty sure.

The Varmint Laminated has a wood stock and a truely blued finish if I'm not mistaken.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#11]
My dealer has a new PSS in 300 Win Ultra Mag for about $750.

Don't know if they're hard to get or not or even if that's a decent price.

Too much gun for me.

E-mail me if interested and I'll give you his phone number.

Impressive gun - very looong barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.  I have enough info to take a look at it and know what it should look like.  I haven't been able to get ahold of the guy, and it's a little drive, so I wanted to know some info before bothering.  It's about the type of gun I was looking into.  He has it listed for $575 which appears to be a pretty good buy.  

drfcolt-
Thanks for the assist, but if I want to go through the FFL transfer hassle, at that price as well, I'd try to work something out with Medic1559.  He's selling a really nice set-up on the For Sale forum.  I just don't know if I'm interested enough in this type of gun (300WM precision rifle) to justify the higher cost.  I figured at $575 I could probably get my money out of it if I didn't like it, and the private deal is a plus.  Thanks anyway, I've taken up offers like that, and they work out well.  I appreciate it.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy,

That is a long action?
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#14]
A "sendero" is a long clear cut through the brush in the desert and is used to hunt the animals crossing it at long range.  Remington was the first to name this type of rifle, I believe.
If you can get a .300 Win.Mag. for that price, do it!
The PSS has a bit of a heftier grip and a couple of other slight finish differences.  
I like the Sendero style.  It would seem to fit the civilian/urban sharpshooter role very well.
By the time you add all the gee-whiz stuff, it'll be heavier and soak up a bit of recoil.
REAL NICE RIFLE.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
The Senderos have a heavy barrel, matte finish, HS Precision stock with a wierd stringy black/grey marbled texture.
View Quote

I REALLY wonder about you!!!

Imbrog|io is correct!

I have one and that is a good description.

I forget but I think the Sendero in particular only comes in the long action, it is like the VS or VSS.

There was a previous post about the weight when things are added to it and that it also correct.

I have a large scope, etc and it does weight quite a bit at the moment. Despite being a 300Win Mag it is comfortable to shoot.

I would highly recommend it, you may want the extra weight [like a heavy scope] to alter the perceived recoil. I REALLY can't get enough of this rifle, I just love shooting it!
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top