Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 11:06:00 AM EDT
Ok I'll say something about Y2K I bought 1000 rd of 223 ammo 1000 rd of 40 S&W and about 500 rd of 12 ga shells. This was just in case something did happen and it was a good what to talk the wife in to letting me get the ammo but I saw some people that where just dumb about this like one guy I worked with. He had a job working with computers and was making $100K a year but he quite his job to come and work hospital security. When I worked with him he was always telling us about Y2K and how it was going to happen he had a pretty wife and a few kids at this point his wife also worked at the hospital with him as a nurse. This guy would sit there reading all these dooms day books and got are hospital in to they Y2K craziness after a bit he started buying up shotguns like they where penny I know he had over 20 different shotguns and AR-15 and 3 pistols and one 308 Remington 700 BDL he told me that he had a 1000 rd of Remington 00 buckshot for each of the shotguns 5,000 rd of Black hill 75gr match for the 223. and 2,000 rd of one a 45 acp one a $0 S&W and last a 9MM JHP Cor-bon for each of the pistols and 1000 rd of Remington JSP for the 308(Now if anyone can tell me how much that cost ya please note it.)This guy took out a mortgage from his home to buy more guns and Ammo and a place in MO or CO to hide all his guns and ammo water a gas. The gas is another thing he was buying it and placing it in 55gal drums he said he had about 200 of them now. But now the week before Y2K night is here he lost his wife and kids because of this and he's sawing off shotgun barrels with a hack saw out in the parking lot. At this time you'd been crazy to go and tell him he could not be doing this and we did not want the county PD to come out because we liked a lot of them and we did not want them to get shoot. Well he was told to take the week off and come back after Y2K he was happy to do so but he told us that he was going to his little place in CO or MO. Now more then a year latter we have not heard from him his wife has not seen him and we don't even know if he is alive. Now tell me how crazy was this guy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
He is a patriot and is prepared.

I really wish that none of the billions of dollars and thousands of man hours was spent on fixing y2k. The disruptions would have solved alot of problems.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe "crazy" is the wrong word........

I would think that "very paranoid" would cover that situation pretty well. I too, bought into the Y2K bug thing. Nowhere near as deep as the guy you are talking about......but deep enough.

I worked around computers for several years before Y2K was to happen. I can tell you as many problems as we had with them, if the SHTF actually occurred - DEEP DOO DOO!! I was nervous to say the least. Paranoid would have been too strong of a word for me, but still nervous. I had my weapons at the ready, along with storages of food, water and ammo. Not to mention it was a GREAT excuse to buy a whole lotta beer!!  [beer]

DK [:D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
There are those that say Y2K was used to allow the government access to major infrastructure computer systems (to check Y2K readiness) to gain control of said systems during a "state of emergency" (ie.:martial law) at a point in the near future.  Something to ponder..
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
You say the guy worked with computers?, if he knew anything about computers he would have known Y2K was just the latest in a long line of knucklehead panics, remember how all the planets were going to align and end the world a couple of years again. I work at a company that uses lots of computers and we all laughed at the massive panic caused by Y2K, the only real peril was if everyone dumped all the stock they owned to stock up on guns and ammo and crashed the stock market, we had to wait for an election for that to happen.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
[i]This guy would sit there reading all these dooms day books and got are hospital in to they Y2K craziness after a bit he started buying up shotguns like they where penny I know he had over 20 different shotguns and AR-15 and 3 pistols and one 308 Remington 700 BDL he told me that he had a 1000 rd of Remington 00 buckshot for each of the shotguns 5,000 rd of Black hill 75gr match for the 223. and 2,000 rd of one a 45 acp one a $0 S&W and last a 9MM JHP Cor-bon for each of the pistols and 1000 rd of Remington JSP for the 308(Now if anyone can tell me how much that cost ya please note it.)[/i]

Congratulations!  You just won "the longest run-on sentence of the day" award.    [beer]

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I know someone (my dad) who is retired military and was heavily involved in Y2K proofing the militaries computers.  He told me "nothing was going to happen."  I bought 1,000 rounds of .223 anyway, and slept through the new year.  

I'm still shooting that ammo. [smash]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are the kind of people that it's good to know. First off, if SHTF he's obviously a good ally. Second, you can always use him as an example to your wife.(" see sweetie, I spent some $$ on Y2K stuuf , but nothing like Crazy-Bob.")
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to just crack up at the Y2K doomsayers.  Of course it was a good excuse to get supplies to where they [b]should[/b] be allready.

But, you have to admit, we had a few here with some vivid imaginations of WWIII when the power went out.

I can summarize folks into two categories:

Believed McVeigh didn't do it
Those that believed he was guilty

Those that thought Y2K was going to end the world
Those that thought nothing would happen

Those that think black helicopters circle their homes
Those that don't

Those that STILL believe McVeigh didn't do it
And those that are sane
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Money on guns and ammo is never wasted.  The only food and wine I bought was stuff I would use anyway, just a lot more.  I spent a couple of hundred on water storage and I still sometimes get some comfort knowing it is there.

I am an IT professional and was involved in several Y2K projects for major enterprises.  To this day I believe it is a miracle we made it and I think it was close.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have often wondered what happeened to all the Y2K profiteers? Why did the run off to on Jan 1, 2000 and what scam are they pulling now?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#12]
In Jan.'01 at a gunshow I heard a few wannabe's
talking about how bad Europe got messed -up,
France the hardest,they said that the goverments
were covering it up from the U.S. to
prevent riots.

Why we would riot over their power loss I don't
know.
Nor do I know how this weekend warrior got
supposedly "inside" news.

But I never heard how bad Europe took it.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
But just to lose your wife ( I know some of you out there wish you would.) and kids over this All I know is the guy spent upwards near $500,000 on his Y2K stuff. Luckly his wife does not have to pay it because as she told. Ok we think of dead beat dads that just leave there kid and wife but what do you thing of a guy who does this and has 5 kids and a wife and leaves them with nothing. I just think the guy had gone crazy to do that in the first place. I not baseing his crazness on the Y2K for everyone out there I worked with him for a year there was a lot more then that. Just wanted to know what you guys think I wish I had the money to buy all them guns and ammo but wife would kill me then leave me and sell the stuff for nothing.But just to lose your wife ( I know some of you out there wish you would.) and kids over this All I know is the guy spent upwards near $500,000 on his Y2K stuff. Luckly his wife does not have to pay it because as she told. Ok we think of dead beat dads that just leave there kid and wife but what do you thing of a guy who does this and has 5 kids and a wife and leaves them with nothing. I just think the guy had gone crazy to do that in the first place. I not baseing his crazness on the Y2K for everyone out there I worked with him for a year there was a lot more then that. Just wanted to know what you guys think? I wish I had the money to buy all them guns and ammo but wife would kill me then leave me and sell the stuff for nothing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem was that no one knew to what extent y2k would affect computer systems. My friend used to run a y2k related website and would post contradictory statements coming from state, local and national agencies working on y2k. Like they say, it is better to have something and not need it, that to need it and not have it. The problem was that no one knew to what extent y2k would affect computer systems. My friend used to run a y2k related website and would post contradictory statements coming from state, local and national agencies working on y2k. Like they say, it is better to have something and not need it, that to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
If he would have been right he would have been really smart. Since he was wrong he is a big idiot. This guy turned out to be beyond stupid. However this could have just been a big excuse to purchase a place in the middle of nowhere, buy up a bunch of guns, and live in seclusion while dumping the nagging wife and kids. Perhaps he is not a idiot, but a genius?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If he would have been right he would have been really smart. Since he was wrong he is a big idiot. This guy turned out to be beyond stupid. However this could have just been a big excuse to purchase a place in the middle of nowhere, buy up a bunch of guns, and live in seclusion while dumping the nagging wife and kids. Perhaps he is not a idiot, but a genius?
View Quote

No, he was an [b]idiot[/b] all right.  You can't shoot more than 1 gun at a time.  A few extras maybe, but 20+ shotguns?  Collecting is one thing, accumulating to sell after a ban is another, this guy [B]OBVIOUSLY[/B] suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
He is a patriot and is prepared.

I really wish that none of the billions of dollars and thousands of man hours was spent on fixing y2k. The disruptions would have solved alot of problems.
View Quote

I am not a SHTF guy but I did stock up in preparation for Y2K.

You are right. Starting over would be one way to solve most of our problems.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Ya! That is what Bill Maher said! Anyone that owns too many guns should be watched and investigated!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I also layed in some extra for Y2K.  But I took FEMA's advice and prepared for a 2 week outage rather than the complete breakdown of society.  Extra cash, food, water storage, etc.  I didn't get any extra guns or ammo, because I usually have enough laying around.  

Nothing happened on Jan. 1, but we had a big ice storm in February and the power was out for a full week.  I ended up using most of the stuff I had bought for that natural disaster. It made a real believer out of me.  We spend a lot of money on insurance every year so that we can replace things if something bad happens. It makes since to me to spend a little on preparations, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you. hehehehe

Yes I made some preparations. I made a lot. Even installed a generator system.

Have used it two different times since then, one time for over 6 hours. It was damn nice to keep operating along like nothing happened, power wise.

3 winters ago I was without power for 16 hours. If not for the gas logs in my fireplace I would have literally frozen. Some neighbors houses had water pipes in the houses freeze.
I really did not like it.

I now really like the sense of independence the things I acquired and/or installed enable me to have.
Everybody needs at least 1 week of supplies just for natural emergencies.      

Weapons - everybody should have 1K per weapon, and about 12 magazines per weapon also.

I figure the biggest threat would have been Bubba from down the road wanting my stuff when he got hungry or thirsty.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have often wondered what happeened to all the Y2K profiteers? Why did the run off to on Jan 1, 2000 and what scam are they pulling now?
View Quote

they are in hibernation for the next few millinium  programmed there sleeptubes to bring them out in the year 9997 that way they can avert the Y10K distaster! yes thats right folks another number needs to be added to all computer programs date code. beware Y10K it will destroy life as we know it!

:P

well my house did get hit with a y2k problem. though it didnt show up till about 3 months ago(which is a really odd time for a y2k bug to hit).  the X10 system in my house just didnt work right. devices would turn on and off at bizzare times that made no sense
sometimes it wuld follow the schedule normally others it would be oblivious and do what ever it damg well felt like. talked to the x10 techline. they said it was a y2k problem. heheh a funny one to caused no major problems. just whacky it hit so late. updates the controllers firmware (little box i plug into a outlet runs it all) and everything returned to normal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#24]
as far as the first post goes i smell some BS

as far as "Y2K"
nowing alot about computer the worst thing would happen would your bill would be stamped jan. 1. 1900

then they would fix it all manuley since almost all computers even before the whole y2k thing came out excemp ancent computes are set up to read 4 digit years nothing would happen any way

i think it was just a crock cooked up by people to boost sales
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I stocked up on three cases of Yuengling's Lager on Y2K new years!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I spent probally $500 for food, gas, ammo and other crap. I don't regret I did. IF something did happen, I would have been prepared. Now that it didn't.
I used the gas,ate the food, shot some of the ammo.And I have all this kick ass camping equipment now!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I did some preps, probably $500 dollars worth. If something did happen, I would have been in a better position than 90% of other people. This guy is obviously crazy. Hedge your bets.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I figured that if the world was coming to an end, I'd prefer to be really, really hungover.  That way I'd welcome it.

I acted accordingly on New Years Eve.

Y2K supplies included Water, Saltines and IB Profein (In case I survived).

[8P]

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#29]
i remember seeing this topic before as the year 2000 approached. i laughed at all of it. as  a programmer that does a lot of main frame database work i knew someone was making a good profit from all the hype.

we ran two areas to test all of our program changes. live or production area and a y2k area. that testing lasted for 6 months. when the time came to change to the modified programs, they were moved to production and we just kept on running like nothing happened. and nothing did either.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I spent:
$500 on liquor
$450 on h'ordeurves
$20  on party hats and noise-makers
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#31]
There's nothing wrong with being prepared to go for a week or so without basic services.  If I were in California I'd plan for power outages and/or earthquakes.  It's also the time of year for hurricanes, electrical storms, and tornadoes, all of which can knock out the utilities temporarily.

Not all possible problems are weather-related.  In Georgetown (Washington DC) the power was out all day yesterday and probably won't be back on until sometime tomorrow due to fires underground.  A lot of businesses in the area are restaurants.  Not only have are they losing 3 days of revenue, but everything in their refrigerators and freezers as well.  This isn't the first time a power outage has occurred.  If I were them I'd have a generator.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok I'll say something about Y2K I bought 1000 rd of 223 ammo 1000 rd of 40 S&W and about 500 rd of 12 ga shells. This was just in case ...
View Quote

Woah going whole hog are we. Ordering an entire case of ammo at a time? Is 6 months of normal shooting that big a stockpile?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
as far as the first post goes i smell some BS
View Quote

You too, huh?

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I'll say something about Y2K I bought 1000 rd of 223 ammo 1000 rd of 40 S&W and about 500 rd of 12 ga shells. This was just in case ...
View Quote

Woah going whole hog are we. Ordering an entire case of ammo at a time? Is 6 months of normal shooting that big a stockpile?
View Quote

Not trying to flame but how much ammo do you buy at at time - 3 or 4 hundred rounds??

I have fired that much ammo in one session before, and I find buying by the case much cheaper than any other way.

As a matter of fact I will order for several friends at one time and will buy several cases at once to get bulk rates.

Come to think of it I don't have many friends that do not own firearms and shoot regularly. Of course I am also a police officer, but before then it was not much different.
Maybe it is living in South Carolina ;-))

People make fun of southerners, but you don't hear of many drive by shootings.
I guess somebody is liable to shoot back.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#35]
HE WAS RIGHT!!! The Y2K thing took his wife and kids away from him and changed his life forever! Maybe he "survived" maybe not. Self-fulfilling prophecy can be a bitch! Read Rudyard Kipling's "The Man Who Would Be King".
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not trying to flame but how much ammo do you buy at at time - 3 or 4 hundred rounds??

I have fired that much ammo in one session before, and I find buying by the case much cheaper than any other way.

People make fun of southerners, but you don't hear of many drive by shootings.
I guess somebody is liable to shoot back.
View Quote

Read it again with the sarcasm glasses on. You'll see the secret message encoded then.

200-300 rounds is a nice trip to the range. If you feel the need to justify your purchases with doom and gloom predictions fine. But know this - ammo is currently the cheapest it has ever been adjusted for inflation. It will not always remain this way. Buy now so you'll have some to shoot when your buddies are paying through the nose.

The smaller the lot, the more shipping cost you per round, up to a point.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Its better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it !!                      
At least thats what I tell the wife every time  several cases of ammo show up on the door step.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top