Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2001 8:40:55 AM EDT
New gun shop opened up 3 blocks from my house.  They even have Bushmasters!  But not like I'll ever buy one there.

His A2 20" Hbar was $1150, plus tax.  $750 mail order.  A2 16" was $950,  $600 mail order.

I asked if he ever got any prebans in, he said yeah, I just sold a mint COLT SP-1 for $1700 a couple days ago.  (These go for what, about $1200?)

He was bragging that he just sold all his Colt AR mags to some guy in from Chicago for $65/each!  He said he was happy to get them because they go for over $90/each in Chicago.

I couldn't take it any longer so I just shrugged my shoulders and said I could get as many as I wanted on the Internet for $25/each, NIW.  Then he said "But these were COLT mags, not the 3rd party crap thats sold on the Internet."

At that point I gave up and left the store.  He's either stupid, or a con artist.  Either way, I won't be back.  It WAS nice having a gun store in town.....

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a shame.  I can't stand going into a gun shop and the guy talks to you as if you don't know crap.  I just say, "o, ok" walk out and take my business elsewhere.  It really is a shame.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, where can I find these $ 25.00 NIW (not rebuilt and re-parked) 30rd Colt mags without getting ripped off or receive LE only.

Don’t go back till the going out of business sale.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
He works on the sucker/Barnum theory. At those prices, he only needs one sucker a day to stay in business.
Look at America, plenty of people who don't shop around. Neiman Marcus is a great example.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a guns shop near my house that has been trying to sell a NIB Colt pre-ban for $5,000. I would rather spend the cash to get a full auto rather than buy that gun. THis place does have some fair prices though, and they don't trat you like an idiot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a guns shop near my house that has been trying to sell a NIB Colt pre-ban for $5,000. I would rather spend the cash to get a full auto rather than buy that gun. THis place does have some fair prices though, and they don't trat you like an idiot.
View Quote

Hahahahaha! You can get a registered receiver M16, including the $200 transfer tax, shipping and payment on the receiving FFLs end for less than $5000. Hell, you could almost get two NIB UZI smgs for that much. I think he will probably be holding on to that thing for quite some time.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They even have Bushmasters
His A2 20" Hbar was $1150, plus tax.  $750 mail order.  A2 16" was $950,  $600 mail order.
View Quote

I have to respectfully disagree with you.  I am not sure, but unless they have changed their policies, they do not give a dealer discount for FFLs.  At one time, I ordered a Bushmaster AR15 lower and my FFL added 10% for his troubles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as idiots roam the earth, this guy will be in buisiness.

Sounds like the same kind of guy that pisses me off at gunshows by charging outrageous prices.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Come on guys. Is it a secret or what?

Where do I get these NIW 30rd Colt factory Magazines for $ 25.00 bucks each?

I want to by ten for starters.

A link would be very helpful.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah and when you are doing any trading they quote you rock bottom discount prices on the gun you bring in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yeah and when you are doing any trading they quote you rock bottom discount prices on the gun you bring in.
View Quote

NO KIDDING. Some dumbass guy was trying to sell a pre-ban (oooooooooooooo) upper, without bolt carrier group for $600. I decided to play his game and trade him an SAR-1 for it. He said, "Are you nuts?!?! I wouldnt give you $200 for that thing!"

A**hole.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
[/quote]
I have to respectfully disagree with you.  I am not sure, but unless they have changed their policies, they do not give a dealer discount for FFLs.[/quote]

That's strange, they give me a 10% discount.  Not earth shattering but still a discount.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
New gun shop opened up 3 blocks from my house.  They even have Bushmasters!  But not like I'll ever buy one there.

At that point I gave up and left the store.  He's either stupid, or a con artist.  Either way, I won't be back.  It WAS nice having a gun store in town.....
View Quote

Bear in mind that most gun buyers don't read Shotgun News, frequent internet discussion groups or go to gun shows.  I have a friend who is a fairly serious medium power rifle shooter (he shoots and AR-15) and was telling me about buying "good" Colt 20 round mags for $40 each.  He about choked when I told him that I had just bought 20 at $15 each.  

Stores charge what the market will bear. Also, gun stores often set their prices high to give them some "wiggle room" and if someone buys at the sticker price, so much the better.

Another thing is that too many new gun dealers have very high expectations of what they'll sell at what price.  Give the guy some time, his prices may change.

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a local dealer that pissed me off:

I went in there to ask about having a few (3 to 5) cheap Moisin Nagant rifles special ordered, so I'll have some gunsmithing projects to play with after transfers are made illegal.

This guy says "No way. I'm not into that military stuff."

It would have been bad enough (real bad) if he responded that way to a request for AR's or AK's, but for 1891 model bolt actions? What a nut!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Come on guys. Is it a secret or what?

Where do I get these NIW 30rd Colt factory Magazines for $ 25.00 bucks each?

I want to by ten for starters.

A link would be very helpful.

THISISME
View Quote

Dude, you a few cartridges short of a full mag?  Check the forsale section, specifically the MAGAZINE section.  I just bought 6 genuine Colt 30rders for $25/each, brand spankin' new.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have to respectfully disagree with you.  I am not sure, but unless they have changed their policies, they do not give a dealer discount for FFLs.  At one time, I ordered a Bushmaster AR15 lower and my FFL added 10% for his troubles.
View Quote

You're probably better off buying from some place like Kiesler's or KY Imports.  They're often cheaper than direct from BM, even after FFL discounts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Thisisme, I don't know about NIW Colts but who the hell cares what the floorplate says.  NIW USGI Contract mags can be had for $20. on the equipment exchange on AR15.com  If you'll pay me $45. for Colt floorplates, I got a bunch I wil sell you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Guys guys guys, read back40’s post at the top of the thread again. NIW Colt factory mags do receive a premium. Not $ 65.00 but I have not seen them lower than $ 45.00 each in a long while and the demo mags go for $ 35.00.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Hurry up and buy!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another thing is that too many new gun dealers have very high expectations of what they'll sell at what price.  Give the guy some time, his prices may change.

View Quote

Ya the dumbass actually thought he could make a living selling guns.  You guys will learn 'em!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
That gun shop would not happen to be a part of Delta Force would it? We all know about thier great deals. Here read about it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=19331

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=21786

Six

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#23]
[i]"It's not getting any brighter out there.  You have to come to terms with stupidity and make it work for you."[/i]    

-Frank Zappa

With that said, get into a partnership with him!  I picked up a bunch of AR 20 round range mags for $12.00 each or 5/$50.  I bought all the guy had and worked out a special deal; 14 range mags for $110.  Later, I sold them to a gun show dealer for $25 each.  

I can live with a $240 profit.

Mike

PS.  Think I raped him?  He sold the mags for between $40-$60 [b]and got his asking prices[/b].  
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Many of the local shops here charge exorbitant prices for ammo, guns and all their firearms in general...

i think they are able to do this and stay in business because there is limited competition in local pricing, and also because many, many consumers are afraid to purchase off the internet...

unfortunately, as in all things, there are honest as well as shady characters in doing all types of business dealings.

that's why forums like these are excellent sources of referral!

Jeff C/NY
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey back40, I feel for you. I used to live in central PA, in a town called State College, were i was getting my MBA at Penn State. There were plenty of places to shoot there, so I got back into the sport. A couple of times I went to a little gun-shop about the size of my living room run by a true putz. Every time I went in I got into an argument with the owner. He used to sell used Glocks for more than they were new, claiming that he was the only one in the area that had "police-only" glocks. Therefore, he stated, they were built better (yeah right). On more than one occasion I'd bring in guns for him to take in as trade. He'd offer me $250 for a Sig P-229, $500 for an HK91 A3 because as he put it, its an old gun that no one hears of anymore. In addition, if  I wanted to order a firearm he'd charge 20% handling fee...what a jerk. Considering that I like to buy high price items like AUG's and Heckler & Kock's, I'd be looking to paying out about $300 simply to have him mail off an FFL...screw him!!!

It was only after a semester went by that I found a really cool guy named Steve that lived and owned his own shop in a nearby town called Bellefonte. He charged a flat $20 fee for ordering firearms and ALL his stuff was priced just right. Needless to say I went to Steve for everything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top