Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2001 5:34:28 PM EDT
My family has some property on the Brazos river in Texas and frequently we ride four-wheelers up and down the river and occasionally swim in the river. On these same expeditions it is not uncommon for snakes such as water moccassins to be encountered. On the shore it is rattlesnakes. I am looking for a lightweight gun that I can carry for defense against these critters. Since CCI shot cartridges will be used I am looking for a revolver. If I got something like a (used) stainless *&* model 60, would it still safely fire after being completely submerged in water? I never intend to actually fire the gun underwater, but after I bring it out of the water. Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about revolvers being able to shoot after being taken for out of water but there are a lot of guns that I know that can like the Glocks, Beretta ,H&K I don't know that much about wheel guns but I do know the above should be ok the Glock I'm 100% sure just make sure you clean the gun every time after you swim and oil it like hell. Stainless does not mean forever.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Deadeye96,

I'd not worry too much about snakes.  If you've got enough time to pull a weapon out when you see one, you've got enough time to get/stay away from them.  Taking care of a weapon that you constantly get wet is a time consuming task.  It's not like in the movies where you come out of the water and things are magically okay with a little coat of oil.  Several weapons can tolerate water pretty well, but it's not recommended you fire them while wet.  It can be dangerous for several reasons.

Also, in Texas, carrying a weapon on a "navigable" river or waterway (not sure where you are on the Brazos..I grew up near that river myself) can be a big no-no.  It can be considered firing a weapon in a public place if you shoot on the river.  And if you don't have your CHL and are carrying a handgun...

My advice...keep you a nice walking stick close at hand.  That'll keep the snakes at bay.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like to go ANYWHERE without a gun.

I have had no trouble with stainless revolvers or titanium ones as long as you clean it well after the day.  A gallon of pentrating oil like WD40 is nice to dip it in once you get the dirt off it, to drive the water out of the nooks and crannies.

I would recommend either a stainless steel or total titanium revolver from Taurus in .44 Special or .45 Colt.  The .44 / .45Colt shotshells pack a good punch.  If you want something smaller, the .38's are decent.

Just be sure to check the bore before shooting if you have been in muddy stuff or have submerged the gun.  A revolver is pretty easy to clear of water and to visually check it.  

Also, you might consider handloading some waterproof ammo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I once saw the Lenny Magill tape "Shooting Underwater" (or something like that...)

He shot many guns underwater in his backyard pool.  (unfortunately , his large-breasted blonde wife did not appear in a bikini)

As I recall, as long as there was no air in the barrel, most guns fired (including a revolver).

The most trouble the guy had was with ammo that got wet and wouldn't fire.  I don't know if the CCI ammo is well sealed...??

May I suggest the following?

[img]www.mcuzi.com/sinistralrifleman/mcuzicruiselines.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't worry too much about the model 60 in the water.

If the Navy Seals uses it, it should be good enough for you.

I think on ocassions, they carry a 4 inch model 66 or 686.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top