Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2001 12:53:33 PM EDT
Assume there was never any ban.

You walked into XYZ Gun Store and they had a variety of AR15s for sale.  Please post what you use your AR for, and why you would buy that model.  All guns as Brand new.

Model A - M4 style with flash suppressor, telescoping stock, bayonette   $1,750

Model B - Colt 20" HBar flash suppressor, fixed stock, no lug, $1,450

Model C - Les Baer Custom AR15 1/2 MOA, $1,500

Model D - LEGP M4gery, hogue grip, fixed telestock $660

Model E - Bushmaster 16" Hbar, fixed stock, muzzle break, $750

Model F - Bushmaster, 24" Bull barrel, dual stage trigger, comp model, $1200

Which one would you buy assuming you don't own ANY ARs and thinking about what you are going to use it for ie. hunting, range etc.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If those models and prices where my only options, I'd keep on shopping and maybe ask the dealer how much he charges for a transfer fee.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Model A.

Best for the things I would do with it. I also like the way it looks. BUT, if there were no ban, I doubt it would cost that.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Boomer those are all realistic prices for the guns listed in todays market assuming they were all brand new.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What Aviator said. If there was never any ban, the M4 with the evil goodies would not cost that much more than the "LEGP" style M4 (as you have them priced above).
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE in this example there is no BAN.  You are simply choosing a rifle based on price and features.  No political motives.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE in this example there is no BAN. You are simply choosing a rifle based on price and features. No political motives.
View Quote

But Geoff, the prices would not be accurate without the ban, so your point is moot.  You can't just make up prices for a comparison.  These do not reflect what their prices would be.

If these were the brands and models offered, I would go elsewhere.  Nothing there would interest me.

You are really hung up on this preban/postban thing based on your other thread.

The fact is that some people choose to spend their money on prebans, some choose to spend their money on postbans, and some choose to spend their money on BOTH.  Get over it.  I will buy what I want and you buy what you want.  I don't have to justify it to you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, there are only 2 guys in the whole world that can make rifles A and B at their shop.  Do to their rarity they cost more then the others which are mass produced.  Quality is equal for all rifles.

Work with me here people.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Work with me here people.
View Quote

Again I say, GET OVER IT.  LET IT GO.  This is not a realistic scenario.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, assuming there nad never been a ban and there was no such thing as a pre-ban or post-ban distinction, there a numerous flaws in your post.

First off, the Colts would not be anywhere near that expensive. A NIB Colt carbine or full size model would be somewhere in the $800 range.

There would be no such thing as a fixed telestock, as there we be no point or demand for one. Everyone would just buy functional, actual working ones.

I don't think that you would see many, if any, ARs coming with muzzle brakes from the factory. Most people want them because something just looks wrong or abnormal about a typical 16" or 20" barrel without some sort of muzzle device on it.

Now if it were 1990 again and I were buying my firdst AR15 again, I would probably make the same choice as I did the first time around. A NIB Colt R6550k Government Model with a .22LR adapter for the the princely sum of $799.99. It's still my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Model A - good for cleaning around the house.

Model C - something different from what I have
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#14]
If there were no ban, why is the telestock gun so much more expensive?  
To stick to your question, if there were no ban, I would buy the LEGP and then PUT a telestock and a flash supressor on the gun.
But it's really a stupid and poorly-phrased question.
Also, I can put together a preban M4gery for MUCH less than $1750.  Let's say I start with a SP1 Colt, which I find all the time for >$1000.
I sell the upper and buttstock for $300, which puts me into the lower, bolt and charging handle for $700.  Then I get the cheapest telestock possible for around $50.  Then I get the cheapest M4 upper possible, which is about $350.  Then I buy the cheapest carry handle possible for $75.  That puts me into the gun for under $1200.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I would buy the model A because I have bought a new Glock and 4 new AKs and 30,000 rounds of ammo in the last two months so I have tons of money to brag about.

Plus, I need the bayo lug, and flashhider, and collapsable stock for when I go wild pig hunting.

Also, Im from the backwoods of Mason county, boy, and thats what all the hillbillies back home have.

Besides, who would want one of those little pussy guns that only people who go to the range to shoot buy?

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top