Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2001 11:44:55 AM EDT
Can anybody recommend a good obedience school in the Richmond, VA area?  We have a 14 week old puppy who needs some manners, and I'm not a very experienced puppy trainer.
Thanks

BTW: I posted about this puppy a few weeks back being very sick.  After a brush with death, several IVs, lots of medication, and a boatload of TLC, he made a slow but steady recovery. Thank you all for your posts.

-Chimborazo
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Check with one of the large chain pet stores.  They often have basic and advanced obedience classes that are fairly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad your baby is better.  Was it parvo?  

I don't know if they are out there but the PetSmart chain offers training classes.  Another good place to check is the vet. They should have a lot of recommendations.

The key is consistency.  Don't "give" the puppy anything.  Even for a pet, have it sit first.  Remember, you are the alpha in the family. Always go through the door first.  Always eat before your puppy does.  And like anything in life, practice.  And use lots of treats too.

Good Luck. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2001017402.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Chimborazo, best money I think you could spend for your dog is a book called "How to Be Your Dob's Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skeet.  Most bookstores have it, as do most libraries. They've also written one specifically for puppies, but I can't think of the name (CRS is setting in).  Have fun & realize that dog training is 5% class work & the remainder homework.

hanko
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to www.akc.org (American Kennel Club).If you set up as a user(free),you can get information on obedience schools,breeders,handling and agility classes etc. good resource for all things canine. Hope this helps.
[8D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
First off, the last book in the world you should get is one by the Monks of New Skete.  More people have had problem dogs from those books than I care to think about.  It's based on old thinking, old techniques, and is just not the greatest way to go for a normal Joe that is generally not super experienced with dog training.

The vast majority of people in my experience who have tried those techniques ended up with very nervous, unpredictable and untrained dogs.  Besides, I remember reading an article where the main "author" said he regretted ever publishing the "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" and "The art of Raising a Puppy" books.  "The Art of Raising a Puppy" has great info on how a puppy develops, but I very much disagree with the training put forth in it.  Much too harsh for a puppy.

A much better book is by Karen Pryor, "Don't Shoot the Dog"  I was able to order it at the local B&N for about $7.  www.dontshootthedog.com

Your best bet, honestly, is Petsmart, or a local kennel club; one that is progressive and uses positive reinforcement techniques.  No one technique works for every dog, but far more respond to positive methods better.  A Puppy kindergarten class is usually a very good thing.

Huskies4all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top