Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2001 9:24:26 AM EDT
what is the diff. between a large or small ring mauser. and is the ammo from turky or yugo diff also.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The ammo from turkey is almost useless.  The yugo ammo is much better.  A while back, there used to be some yugo ammo that was made in the 60s or 70s wich was very good (relatively speaking).  The stuff you see lots of was made in the 50's (i think).  Stay away from the turk ammo and that "reddish" bulgarian stuff.  The later sometimes doesnt go bang immediately.  or at all.  The turk stuff is also unreliable and filthy.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
what I mean is there a chambering diff between the yugo and turk stuff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
If its 8mm it should be the same.  I've never heard of any blowing up.  I've seen split cases before but the mauser has many safety features built in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Beekeeper,

I've never heard of an ad for ammo that said it doesnt work all the time, but thats what I've found.  I used to have a couple mausers (custom made sniper repros) about a year ago I sold them.  I have never tried the turk stuff, but my friend who has about 10-15 mausers (he has a Curio Lic), its his favorite rifle, goes through lots of different ammo.  He just told me that there is some German ammo, in green cases, maybe laquered, from east germany that works good.  he said he's had a problems with the turk ammo and wont buy anymore.  The turk ammo and the bulgarian "reddish" ammo have been splitting from primer to neck once in a while.  I have also shot the bulgarian and can verify that.  The turk ammo came about after I sold my mauser, so I never personally shot that stuff.  Both of those sometimes have a delay after the firing pin strikes.  They are also very dirty to clean up.

If you can find that ex-communist german green stuff, or the yugo stuff made in the 70's (different from the dusty shelled 50s stuff), buy them.

If its made in foriegn country in the 50's you can bet its corrosive.

The third best surplus is probably that 50's yugo ammo.  It works good, just corrosive and a little dirty.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
OK cool on the large small ring thanks for the info. but ive been told that 8mmYUGO and 8mmTURK are two differnt catridges like .308 and 30-06 thats my real question?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top