Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2004 5:23:47 PM EDT
I just typed this for another member and thought I'd post it for those who are curious how to post pictures out here.

I prefer Photobucket.com, a free service with the option to upgrade for a fee. But there are other free services. I'd avoid Hunt101.com since they crap out every 5 minutes. Yahoo has one, and there are a million others.

Okay, here it is:

Go to PHOTOBUCKET

You Register. Then after logging in with user name and password, you click the Browse button. That will open a "Choose File" box. You then tunnel down to the picture in question, click on to select the picture file, then click OPEN which will take you back to Photobucket. Click Submit. You'll see the picture appear on the Photobucket web page. Beneath it are 3 fields that contain text, you'll want to select all the text in the IMG box (the bottom one) beneath the picture. Click the RIGHT mouse button and select COPY. Then go to the thread you want to post a pic in and in the proper location you click the RIGHT mouse button and select PASTE.  Viola!

For fast pic posting, try out Tinypic or ImageShack

No registration just upload and post.

NOTE: Tinypic is almost identical to Imageshack so the following instructions may be used for each.

You click the Browse button and then tunnel down to the picture to be posted. Then select it by clicking on it. Then click the OPEN button. You'll be returned to the webpage. You'll notice that the path to your picture is in the field next to the Browsebutton. You then click the Host it button and after a few seconds, depending on the size of the file, you will be given several fields that contain text to choose from. You want to use the one that begins and ends with IMG. Then COPY the text and PASTE it into the Message area of your post. Done!

It's important to note that Photobucket and (the dreaded) Hunt101 have the ability to manage a quantity of pictures, were Tinypic and Imageshack are more "one off" quick post a picture to a web page services.

I use Photobucket for my keeper pictures. If I want to repost again all I have to do is log in and copy the link and I'm done. I also use Tinypic, but mostly for those really fast never need to see the pic again posts. No need to log, just click and done.

I hope this helps!

Edited to add more instructions
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sticky?
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I noticed another member uses imageshack

I'm not familiar with it, but I'd thought I'd share the address for the curious.

www.imageshack.us/

Edited to add: Imageshack appears to be a "one off" system that requires no registration. You just browse for the file, select it, click open, then it bounces back to the page where you click Host it! It then generates several pre-system tagged strings, you select the top one and copy and paste it into the thread. It's that simple baby...

Example of a pic I just posted with imageshack.us

Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
tinypic.com

No registration, no limits, just upload and post.

Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Question:
I got this service from HP when I bought my camera called HPPhoto.  Can I use it  just like photobucket?  I guess the answer to my question is, try it.  I was just wondering if anyone else used it?  This is also a tag.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
tinypic.com

No registration, no limits, just upload and post.

Tinypic is great! It's almost the identical to Imageshack

It's important to note that Photobucket and (the dreaded) Hunt101 have the ability to manage a quantity of pictures, were Tinypic and Imageshack are more "one off" quick post a picture to a web page services.

I use Photobucket for my keeper pictures. If I want to repost again all I have to do is log in and copy the link and I'm done. I also use Tinypic, but mostly for those really fast never need to see the pic again posts. No need to log, just click and done.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, imageshack is convenient.  Tinypic allows more file types and larger pics though.  I'd endorse either one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Trying this out:  this is a dinner pic that I took at the end of the AWB shoot I had.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPLargeView?com=usUtil&awp=largeview3mbr.html&pict_id=47883160&index=2&album_id=3237983
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Question:
I got this service from HP when I bought my camera called HPPhoto.  Can I use it  just like photobucket?  I guess the answer to my question is, try it.  I was just wondering if anyone else used it?  This is also a tag.

If the HP service is specifically for buyers of their cameras, it's possible they grant you an amount of storage space, like 50 megabytes for example, on some server dedicated for their customers to host pictures. If it's easy, reliable, and FREE, why not?

Note about fees:
Photobucket is FREE, but you can buy more features and storage space.

Here are some of the pay features:

<BTW, I used the FREE Imageshack to host the above pic of Photobucket's PAY services>

If you host occasionally and don't care about ever using the hosted pics ever again elsewhere, you might want to use Tinypic or Imageshack.

If you want to be able to have the hosted pictures at your disposal for future use, in effect, manage your hosted pictures, go with Photobucket or some service like it. IMHO, I can't recommend Hunt101 due to inconsistent service.

By no means are these the only hosting services, there are LOTS of others. I'm just sharing my experiences. Note: I've NEVER had any trouble with Photobucket. No RED X's ever. I used to get LOTS of RED X's from Hunt101. I just read this morning that Hunt101 fried a server and needed to move content to a new box. Woo-hoo... Sure as hell doesn't help if your trying to sell a lower in the EE that people are expecting to see, CAN'T, and now are forced to request pictures from you via e-mail.

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Trying this out:  this is a dinner pic that I took at the end of the AWB shoot I had.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPLargeView?com=usUtil&awp=largeview3mbr.html&pict_id=47883160&index=2&album_id=3237983

Any luck? I tried viewing the pic by doing a search on the link you provided, and it pointed to the HP page, no picture though.

Link Posted: 12/5/2004 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Tinypic is the friggin' greatest "one off, never look back, who gives a crap" picture hosting service.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#12]
BTT

Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I do multi pics posting with tinypic.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I kinda got the photobucket thing down for posting pics, but I have also tried to reduce pics as an avatar, bio pic, etc. --no luck.  

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I kinda got the photobucket thing down for posting pics, but I have also tried to reduce pics as an avatar, bio pic, etc. --no luck.  

Any ideas?

In order to reduce the pic to a useable size, open it up for editing in MS Paint. Go to the Image button, then select Attributes in the flyout menu. (NOTE: Don't edit it in Attributes because you'll chop off sections of your picture.)  Check off the pixel box and you'll see the pictures size in pixels. Note these values and compare to the maximum values that the Arfcom photoserver specifies, which is 80x60 pixels. NOTE: Images over 12k in size will be rejected. The purpose of the "pixel check" step is to give you a sense of what size the pic is in pixels so you know how much to reduce. Then return back out to Image and then select Stretch/Skew to decrease the size. Using the pixel information you just learned you reduce it by changing the percentage values. NOTE: Be sure to change both an equal number, I.E. 20% and 20%, etc. Going back and forth will allow you to eyeball the pic and get it as small as possible without risking the distortion the Arfcom photoserver will impose. ALSO, it's a good idea to get the picture roughly square, that way you avoid the before mentioned distortion. BE SURE TO DO ALL OF THIS TO A COPY OF THE PIC; that way you can return to the original and start over if you have to. ALSO, BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR WORK. I like to add a note in the file name like "AR15Avatar" This way you can go back and load it up in the future.

Might seem like alot of work, but it's really not. Hope this helps!

Anyone else have a process they'd like to share?

Hep
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]
BTT.

Let me know if this helps...or if you have any questions.

Hep
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#17]
"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, TEACH a man to fish and he posts pics for a life time"

Link Posted: 2/16/2005 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the info on Photo bucket.  I have tried many diff sights and they never worked.  Thanks again for the post

Now I nead a beter camera!
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thank you for the info on Photo bucket.  I have tried many diff sights and they never worked.  Thanks again for the post

img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/802/Picture056.jpg

Now I nead a beter camera!

Happy to help!

Here's a tip regarding Thumbnails. In addition to posting a picture,www.imageshack.us gives you the ability to post a thumbnail, which is a small preview pic of the actual pic. Furthermore, this smaller picture acts as a hotlink that when clicked loads a larger version of the image. Like this:

You achieve this by using Imageshack.us and following the upload instructions as specified earlier in the thread. Then select and copy the line of data that's specified next to Thumbnail for forums (1). Then simply paste it into your thread. Once the thread goes live you'll see a smaller picture of the image you just uploaded. This smaller picture is a thumbnail that is essentially a preview. If the larger picture is to be viewed, you simply click on the thumbnail picture since it's also a "button" that will load the larger picture.

Posting a thumbnail is useful for several reasons; It allows you to post a large number of pics in a single post. It's also very useful if very large pics need to be posted to show greater detail. Ultimately this method of posting saves bandwidth on the web page and also allows viewers with slower connections to have the option of clicking and waiting for the picture of interest to load or bypassing it alltogether.

Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
 I'm still having trouble posting pics. I'm kinda new at  posting on forums I've been experimenting with  imageshack with limited success. How do you post a pic that 's larger than a thumbnail size? That's all I seem to have been able to figure out with imageshack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
http://tinypic.com/1xxfuv

I'm trying this one with tinypic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#22]
 Whoops! That's bigger alright. I guess that I'll have to keep experimenting to find a happy medium.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 Whoops! That's bigger alright. I guess that I'll have to keep experimenting to find a happy medium.

Your best bet is to open the image file in MS Paint (standard on MS OS PCs) or MS Photo Editor and simply use the resize option to reduce the file to a more reasonable size. I usually go for 50% to start when they're as large as the above pic. Below is a resized version of your pic. I used MS Photo Editor and selected the IMAGE item in the toolbar, then on the flyout menu I selected RESIZE
From there it's pretty straight forward.

Link Posted: 2/25/2005 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank for the tip. I'll get it right someday.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And with our help and your persistence, sooner than you think! BTW, Welcome to Arfcom!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#26]
BTT !
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#27]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Tagging for later reading again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks.

Tag for future use
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll try one for s&g

eta  Well so much for my hunt101 photos
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#34]
cool info. now if you could just show me how to;
-use my digital camera
-upload images
-download images
-size and rotate images

I *might* be able to figure the rest out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#35]
tag, great info
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Well guess I'll try to kick the bucket this time.

Link Posted: 3/18/2005 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Look it really does work!!!!

Link Posted: 3/18/2005 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And with our help and your persistence, sooner than you think! BTW, Welcome to Arfcom!

Thanks hepcat85. I've posted before, but can't get the hang of adding pic's. Went to photobucket and registered. Here is my shot at it.
PS-in the past all I got to show were the links.

So, red x's or pics?
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#39]
ummm,
what's going on with the goat?!

anyway, I'm quite new to posting pics as well,
can someone explain why I should not use geocities?

I have a crummy little page going, and I've been uploading to the site and
posting pics here among others...

Does it blow up 'cause hundreds of poeple look at it at the same time causing
the bandwidth of my site to get used up?

Here, I'll post a little pic...is it just a red x when it gets busy?

Link Posted: 3/18/2005 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm no expert , but I saw no red x's
I see bullet holes in my future............
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, the red x.  What does that mean?  I've been trying to figure out how to post pics and this thread has certainly been helpful.  Thanks.

A number of times when I tried it all that appeared were the dreaded red x's.  Does that mean that I did something stoopid?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]
No, I don't think so.  But after following the info here, I've got it. Just copy from the host site, then paste into the text of your message. Leave the buttons below alone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#44]
If people haven't learned how to post pics on the net by now then I suggest they are just to stupid for a computer.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#45]
now, now...

I know plenty of people that can't change a clutch in their car,
(relatively easy by mechanic's standards)
Does that mean they are too stupid to drive?

Computers have their own language,
some people can understand it better, that's all...
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
No, I don't think so.  But after following the info here, I've got it. Just copy from the host site, then paste into the text of your message. Leave the buttons below alone.

The dreaded red "x" usually denotes an error on the hosting server. Though sometimes it's localized to a users pc, especially if using a slow connection. I've found that the "one off" hosting servers like TINYPIC and IMAGESHACK never seem to have issues. When I was on Hunt101 they would crap out often. Photobucket hasn't had any issues that I've seen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If people haven't learned how to post pics on the net by now then I suggest they
are just to too stupid for a computer. SGtar15

I couldn't resist! Please forgive me!!!

Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
now, now...

I know plenty of people that can't change a clutch in their car,
(relatively easy by mechanic's standards)
Does that mean they are too stupid to drive?

Computers have their own language,
some people can understand it better, that's all...

What is this thing you call a "clutch" ????
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#49]
tagged for reference
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#50]
If I try it and it doesn’t work I shall be very unhappy at you.

I shall then sic this clown on you:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top