Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2001 9:42:34 AM EDT
hi all,
i came into 2 old guns and need some advice. the first one is a winchester 1894 - by the serial number, it was built around 1920 - and it shows.  i have not fired it yet, but want to. the reciever is only 20-30% blue, the bbl and tube are about 70-80%, also, the wood is worn, rounded, chipped and scarred. i looked into the bore and found some light pitting.

the second one is a colt 1871-72 open top ??  converted to .38 centerfire. it has no blue (if it ever has) the grips look original (guess) and have been re-stained long ago (guess). the bore is filthy, dusty and i can't see the metal.

my questions are:
1) should i clean the revolver?
2) should i fire the rifle?
and
3) would the rifle be worth more in this "original" state? or should i send it to winchester for a re-furb, make it look good, but possibly lower the value????

thank you all in advance!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean em both real well, check them for mechanical reliability (or take them to a gunsmith if you're still not sure), and shoot 'em.

Don't refurb either one as it will definitely reduce their value (at least that's what I've been told).
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a guy who goes by AntiqueDr who can really help you. He is usually at this site:
[url]http://pub49.ezboard.com/bthefirearmsforum[/url]
Or his website:
[url]http://www.apaxenterprises.com/sys-tmpl/door/[/url]

If anyone can help it will be him.
Ron
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
thanx guys!
hey slacko, i can't wait to fire them, they just ooze history, 'ya know? i guess i'll run the colt past an expert as i don't know what to look for.
Ron's Toys, great links! i'm sure i'll learn alot - and i will track down this AntiqueDr as well!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an original Model 94 myself.  Shoots fine.  Something about that ol' timer just feels right.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top