Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2001 9:02:54 PM EDT
If anyone has one could you post up some pictures of the internals and tell me how well it functions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, let me get right on that...
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
why dont you buy a book and read up on it smartass!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
"Tell you how it functions".

Hmm, sounds like somebody is trying to make this year's Popular Science experiment involve illegal equipment.  Keep trying kid, we admire your persistence.  You should know, however, that your efforts are futile.

[i]You are the weakest link...g'bye[/i]
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Silenced rifles are not like what you see in the movies.  There is still quite a report produced from the sonic boom/crack of the bullet.  While the shooter's position is concealed, it is still obvious that a gun is being fired.  They do make subsonic ammunition for rifles, but you also loose a lot of terminal ballistic effects.   Subsonic ammo may not be as reliable or accurate either.

I've downloaded several videos off the Internet of a silenced AR15 (well it was actually a fully automatic M4) being fired.  From what I can tell and from what first hand witnesses report, it is about as loud as a 22 LR.

I think most silencers are made out of a tube with washer shaped baffles inserted.  The idea is to slow the escape of the gasses that leave the muzzle.  I'm sure more complex designs exist, but I've not heard how they are set up.  There are also integrally suppressed barrels meaning that the barrel and suppressor are manufactured as a single unit.  These are probably the best suppressors.

Silencers are available for purchase to civilians as I understand it, but they require going through the class III (or was that II?) paperwork and tax stamp (was it $200?) rigmarole.

The cheapest, easiest, and most legal way to get a suppressor is to just turn off your hearing aid. [:P]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Great, now the secret silencer internals have been compromised. Next thing you know there will be pictures of vaginas on this site.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If anyone has one could you post up some pictures of the internals and tell me how well it functions.
View Quote

Lets see....first auto sears,now silencers.What next? How about a Los Angeles class nuclear attack sub complete w/ICBMs, or maybe a good old fashioned nuke!!!
[frag]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top