Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2001 3:25:51 PM EDT
Hi,
First time here, though I have spent the last couple of days reading as many posts as possible.  From the sounds of things a lot of people do not like "Bob" from ASA.  I have decided that I would like to get an AR-15 of some sort.  I thought about getting a stripped lower and then one of the full kits from ASA, seemed like a pretty good price.  Has anyone had GOOD experiences with ASA and their product.  Also could get a Bushmaster Flattop with the carry handle included with 20" barrel for 749.00, or maybe the LEGP.  Any suggestions.  I understand this is a topic rehashed over and over but I do not want to get burned on my first go at an AR-15.  Thanks in advance.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel with the low price of the LEGP, that would be the best route for a first time AR purchase.  I have built rifles for under $500 on Oly lowers.  This took a while to find the great deals on parts to build it for so little.

If I was going to get an other AR and didn't mind the M4 configuration, I would buy a LEGP.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
People have a tendancy to learn things the hard way.  It seems to be in the nature of people to believe that what happens to one person will not likely happen to them.  I like to try to learn from someone else's mistakes, if possible.  In a case like this, you are not likely to save a whole lot of money, assuming that's your motivation, and stand quite likely to have problems.  I have talked, in person, to probably 5 different people who have had actual experiences with Bob, and they all say the same thing.  That does not even begin to include the list of folks here on this board who have also had bad experiences with him.  IMHO, if you decide to buy from a person who has an established reputation as a complete asshole who sells shotty merchandise, you are asking for trouble.  But alas, the decision is yours to make.  

What about RRA?  Good prices, and they seem to be held in very high regard.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Does bob stands for "bend over bitch?"
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Raped? That's a little too harsh.
More like getting a flaming stick shoved in an eyeball.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If your going to get anything from ASA stay away from there uppers. There lowers are pretty good and never heard any complaints about them, but heard lots of bad stuff about there uppers not functioning right. It will probaly be cheaper to get a Bushmaster and will be alot better to. ASA must think that there stuff is gold plated, there sure charge enough for it that for cheaper you could get a better quality rifle. just my .2 cents
brandon
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Deal with Sarah. I've never had a problem with her.  She's friendly and quite knowledgeable in AR15s.  My friend bought a shorty AR kit from her; it works fine and groups well.

Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had nothing but negative experiences with these people and if i didnt live in phx i dotn think my rifle would have ever been finished.  My kit was missing parts and the headspacing was shitty to say the least.  Whenever i went up there i got the run around and was told how "i was the incompetent one" and how certain springs were interchangable and how god invented files to get pieces to fit that wouldnt go into my stripped lower.  I"m sorry but i would never hassle with these people again.  If you are hell bent on building your own rifle then pay the extra money and buy a bushmaster kit from their website.  At least this way you'll know your getting quality parts from a reputable company who you can actually call and get answers from.  Like all things, you get what you pay for.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say go get the LEGP. It is a great buy. It will be my first AR. It might take a while to get, but for that price, and that config, it is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]
dont buy a complete rifle

first buy a complete lower from BM, Colt, Armalite, RRA, DPMS
then order the upper you want from one of the above companies (no one else)
if you pay sales tax in your area, you only pay it on a $300 item instead of a $800 item, and you can order the upper you want in YOUR configuration
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#12]
BushHamster,
Sarah quit after Bob threw her through a door (heard that from several good sources including an ASA employee).  Everyone else has quit also.  There are currently 3 employee's at ASA and I know one of them is leaving sometime soon.  That will leave Bob and a kid who doesnt know anything about guns at all, thats TWO people including Bob.  There is no quality department, no gunsmith, just Bob and 2 assemblers, soon to be only one assembler.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Man, that guy is the type of person that SHOULD NOT be around firearms.

With Sarah gone, he is either going to have to run the tables at the fun shows or give that up all together, probably the latter. It was obvious that most of the fun show sales were the result of having Sarah there peddling to a bunch of horny stinky guys.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BushHamster,
Sarah quit after Bob threw her through a door (heard that from several good sources including an ASA employee).  Everyone else has quit also.  There are currently 3 employee's at ASA and I know one of them is leaving sometime soon.  That will leave Bob and a kid who doesnt know anything about guns at all, thats TWO people including Bob.  There is no quality department, no gunsmith, just Bob and 2 assemblers, soon to be only one assembler.
View Quote

Hey, isn't Lordtrader looking for a new job?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
OH BALONEY!
i talked to sarah on saturday, she still works there.  hell, she even let me hand select a chromed bolt, and gave me a $40. discount!
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#16]
sarah still works there, she was running the ASA booth at the costa mesa gun june 2-3, crazy bob is sarahs step dad, and shes no pip squeak of a woman that you could easily put through a door.
i dont like the company or the rifles they build but false rumors aint cool either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 2:53:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Matthew S,
If you feel compelled to ask the question after
all that has been written then I must conclude
that you are like the women that run around
nearly naked and wonder why they're treated like
putahs. Burn Baby Burn[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont spread rumors.  Like I posted, even a current employee that was there when it happened told me the story.  I dont care either way.  Just giving out info since someone else brought the ASA subject up.  If I wanted to spread rumors I would have posted it in ASA'a forum.

I know for a fact she quit, maybe she went back.  I talked to a freind last week who works there and I am personal freinds with the guy running their sponsorship program and they both say she is still gone as of last week when I talked to them.  They both also told me the same story of why shy quit, which I referred to you.

Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the input. I have decided against doing anything with this company.  One or two bad experiences are expected but it sounds like in this case one or two good experiences is to be expected.  Now looking to go with RRA or BM.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#20]
wake up, guys.  nobody ever said you have to be a nice guy to build and sell quality weapons.  avoid bob, deal with sarah, and enjoy your asa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top