Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2001 8:38:45 AM EDT
Went out in the fields yesterday with the new AR to scope out a famer's field he swore was full of 'hogs.  Found the field full of cows, so I sat down under a tree for a combat nap. When I opened up about 20 minutes later, the bovines were gone, and there in the middle of the field 100 yards away was a groundhog working its way toward me, down a gentle slope.  I assumed a braced sitting position and fired, spinning the critter around.  He proceeded to roll over and resume his track towards me.  This surprised me as the Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips have been effective in the one shot department up to this point.  So, I drew down and squeezed off another round for another hit.  Same thing, the pig rolled over and kept coming.  Emptied one five shot clip, reached in my field bag for the second clip, saw it had only one round in it (moron), loaded, drew down, recited the Hathcock credo and connected right 'twixt the little varmint's eyes, putting him out of his misery.  

I'll spare the gory details, but suffice it to say that six rounds of 55 Ballistic tips don't leave much of a groundhog's internals, well, internal.  Checking the critter, I saw he was headed for a warren of holes in the middle of the field big enough to drop a tractor into, and that explained his continued forward momentum.  I'm just glad this wasn't a safari and he wasn't a Cape Buff.  One thought I can't get out of my head, though, is "Hmm.  This is the Army's main battle rifle..."
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
the best equipment is only as good as it's user! [BD]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just buy yourself a full auto 1919 and have plenty of belts and you will be safe from groundhogs.[:)] BTW: set up a couple of claymores just in case they get to close. Also remember to save the last round for yourself!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe ya shoulda used a 308,or a hand grenade.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Next time try something a little more...cyclic.
[img]http://www.snedegar.net/ryan/images/stuff/M134B.jpg[/img]

Time to let 'ol 'painless' out of the bag...
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Those Special Forces Groundhogs are tough customers.  Only a few make it thru the selection process.  Obviously you encountered one of those on a search and destroy mission.

Good thing you woke from that combat nap in time. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been charged by a senile possum.One shot of 45ACP between the shoulder blades at 2 yards did the trick.This was his third charge and I think he was serious the last time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Good thing you woke when you did. Once they are within 75 yds of you it's pretty much over. The snarling gnashing teeth and their vicious bark have stopped many a vaminter in their tracks from fear after they see incredible ferocity of a GH in attack mode. That's why varmiters like to go in groups, to cover each other's 'six' so to speak.

Consider yourself one of the lucky few to see a vicious groundhog so 'upclose and personal' and lived to tell about it! For those of you who will never know the fear first hand, just watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (good training film)- the Rabbit was modeled after an actual Groundhog attack (SHUDDER!!!!).[:O][>Q][:(][0j]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to admit, I got my ass kicked during some hand-to-hand with a North American Brown Squirrel.  He was a real pain in the ass!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#13]
You're just lucky he was alone.

Had he been with a few comrades, you surely would have been groundhog meal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Consider yourself one of the lucky few to see a vicious groundhog so 'upclose and personal' and lived to tell about it! For those of you who will never know the fear first hand, just watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (good training film)- the Rabbit was modeled after an actual Groundhog attack (SHUDDER!!!!).[:O][>Q][:(][0j]
View Quote

Yes.  

The "Holy Hand Grenade".
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
WHEW.............I started to read your post, and for a second thought you were going to begin describing an encounter with a  supernatural groundhog.
I was scared![:O]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
That doesn't sound like any kind of Ground Hog.

I'll bet it was one of them there Chupacabras.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#18]
My hands are still shaking- even Cuervo won't kill the nightmares.   I wake at night screaming 'pigs in the wire!! pigs in the wire!!" hand have 'Apocalypse Now'-like flashbacks.  

I need to put together a squad to return to the scene and search for command and control.  Volunteers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#19]
The Varmit Cong want to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids. Think about it....if they have nothing to hide... why do they live in tunnels??  It is not I that is crazy, IT IS I THAT IS MAD!

Oh wait a min.. what were talking about?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh come on, it's just a lil bunny rabbit. Right, rabbit stew coming up! Aaarrrrrgggghhhhh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a similar encounter.

Chuck spotted me and made for his burrow maybe half the distance between him and me.  

mean-time, I can't quite figure out why this bugger is charging me..I'm not aware of his burrow.

Next thing I know, my 60 lb boxer crosses paths with the chuck (moving somewhere near the speed of light )...the dog over-runs the chuck, but gets a bite in on the pass which actually sent visible chunks of chuck flesh in the air.

The dog dispatched the chuck on the second pass...total time of encounter, maybe 4 seconds.

I have never seen my dog be aggressive before or after, and she's six now... but I was impressed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Either you are a lousy shooter or the hog wear kevlar.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Either you are a lousy shooter or the hog wear kevlar.[:)]
View Quote

I could see that one coming.  Wanted to post a pic of the carcass to clear my name, but hey, even this forum has its standards.  Besides that, I don't have a wide angle lens that would take in all the square footage of entrails, body parts, etc.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#24]
The little critter was obviously high on PCP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Just like all the .223 v. .308 posts..... I gotta point out that 45-70 is the ultimate groundhog killer. Yes there are heavier, but .50 BMG carries the entire 'hog away so you can never be sure if you really hit it...

Seriously, the 'hog is so small the bullet zips right through, as compared to it hitting a person and "tumbling" or fragmenting.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#26]
It's kind of strange that you posted this...  Just yesterday I was reading in the local paper that a 2yr old was attacked by a groundhog (they found it had rabies though).  I guess my question is how mean are they?  Must they be provoked?  Will they charge humans (not charging for cover between you, and not w/rabies)?  Curious.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The little critter was obviously high on PCP.
View Quote

A possible Rodney Chuck?

Hey shooterX308!

Can't we all just get along?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, maybe, if you pack the hollow-point with Nitro-Glycerine or arsenic. I'm pretty sure the MArlin has a limited magazine capacity. You should probably only utilize it from a "hardened" position. Defensive mines should be employed. It's best to mix tripwire and command detonated mines, them 'hog's is tricky.

[;)] [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#30]
"I smell varmint poontang and the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang...I think."
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, well, I just read the post elsewhere about the full auto 4Omm cannon available on GunsAmerica.com for a mere $350,000.  I'll bet a belt or two of those incendiary or HE rounds would be just the ticket for a sassy varmint.

This just may do the trick.  Now, if the wife just doesn't miss the $$ out of the joint checking!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top