Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2001 9:30:20 PM EDT
Today, my husband(dragracerart) took me to the gun range to shoot one of his handguns.

It was my first time ever to shoot a gun. I was really scared at first, but then I got use to firing it. I have to admit, I didn't like the whole idea of shooting a gun in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind my husband having guns, I'm just afraid of handling a gun.

I was a little scared when he took me to the range.  But once I got the hang of it, I have to admit I enjoyed it!

I actually can't wait until he takes me out again.  I told him once I get use to firing the handgun, I'd like to try shooting one of his AR-15's or AK-47's.

So wish me luck!  I'll keep you posted.     [newbie]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck! As long as you adhere to the 4 major safety rules, you will only have more fun... Dragraceart must be very proud!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone that is exposed to guns after about ~20 years old are initially very fearful, for a number of reasons.

The truth is- the gun will not blow up and the bullets fly directly away from you. The rest is just noise and flash, harmless effects.

Just follow the safety rules, after awhile they will become second nature.

Happy shooting.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats.  I think its great.  Even if you didn't enjoy it, absolutely hated it, and never wanted to handle a gun again I think its a credit to you to be so open minded to at least give it a go.  I've had girlfriends who didn't even want to hear about the guns, let alone handle one (and God forbid, actually fire one).

Of course, if you enjoyed it, all the better.  I remember the first time I shot a gun; it was a little frightening, but the adrenaline rush soon took over.  Now I'm hooked.

Will we be seeing you with dragracerart at the Harrisburg shoot at the end of the month?  
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Good show, MRS.!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
And so it begins, after firing the AR15 you'll soon want one of your own and you can trust me on that!

Usually I start women out on my rifles and progress from ittybitty 22lrs. to the 223Rem in the AR15s, both are so mild recoiling that they will burn up ammo till the cows come home or they can't hold the things any longer and the most of them are tough enough to not shy away from firing my 308Win AR10 or possibly take a shot or two from my 20gauge using lighter loads.  After awhile they think they are pretty hot with the rifles so then I introduce them to the challenges of handgun shooting, it gives them a real quick understanding of how a person can enjoy different forms of shooting and how it isn't just "point the gun and pull the trigger" to hit a target and that there is actual skill involved.

Typically they get hooked pretty quick and they want me to call them the next time I head out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats.  I think its great.  Even if you didn't enjoy it, absolutely hated it, and never wanted to handle a gun again I think its a credit to you to be so open minded to at least give it a go.  I've had girlfriends who didn't even want to hear about the guns, let alone handle one (and God forbid, actually fire one).

Of course, if you enjoyed it, all the better.  I remember the first time I shot a gun; it was a little frightening, but the adrenaline rush soon took over.  Now I'm hooked.

Will we be seeing you with dragracerart at the Harrisburg shoot at the end of the month?  
View Quote

Yes, I will be there with Art.  Hopefully, I will be a better shot by then.  We are going shooting again tomorrow with some friends.  He's going to let me shoot an AR-15 and an AK-47.

I like shooting the Beretta 92FS alot! I can't wait to shoot it again.

BTW...I got to meet paspecops and his family today. They stopped by after the airshow, for grilled burgers and dogs.  They are very nice people and I'm looking forward to visiting them at the end of the month. It should be a lot of fun!!!    

Will you be there too?
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Will you be there too?
View Quote

I'll be there...  but you gotta promise not to laugh at me.

I'm going in for some big surgery about a week before, so when I go to Paspecops place to shoot, I'll probably still be stapled up (right up my belly) and may not be able to wear pants.  So if I'm wearing my bathrobe and fuzzy bunny slippers, you gotta promise me you won't laugh.
[:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I heard that.  Stop laughing.

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I just finished packing my gear to go shooting tomorrow and the wife is in bed fastasleep now...

I gotta say she did pretty damn good for the first time out...
I've asked her on several different occasions, if she wanted to come along, and each time she didn't seem too interested.
I've never pushed the issue, but I've always invited her to come along.
I was pleasantly surprised that she chose to give it a try today...
Unfortunately, it was already 7PM and we didn't have much daylight to shoot, so we just shot a few mags and came home.
She was a little shaky at first, but after a couple shots and some reassurance, she started to do real well.
I put her at about 15 feet from the target.
I explained safety, and proper grip and so on...
She wanted me to shoot it first, so I popped off 4-5 rounds to show her how mild the gun was and how it recoiled.
I showed her how the safety works and told her to never put her finger on the trigger till she's ready to fire.
She took the gun, aimed, flipped off the safety, and fired the rest of the rounds in he mag...Only a few hit the paper, but after she settled down a little, she was putting them all on the paper. She even had a couple "bullseyes". She still flinches & jerks the trigger, but she will learn with time & practice.
She was so happy with her shooting, she saved the targets & took them with, to her parents house to show them...She was giddy like a little girl...It was so cool...She never really had many interests or hobbies, but I think that will change now. She is real exited about going out shooting tomorrow...
She will get plenty of exposure to guns and noise tomorrow, we're meeting a bunch of "my friends" at an abandoned quarry at 1PM. There will be a dozen people, 30-40 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo to   shoot...I will have 2 of my AR's, both my AK's, a Titanium .38, and the Beretta my wife loves...
"My friends" are very entertaining...
Should be a good time...    
Hope it doesn't scare her though...
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Art -
Just don't let her drive the Camaro. A friend of mine built a Dart to race brackets and Super Street. His wife talked him into letting her try, and he ended up have to build another car!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]

ADDICTION:
Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey Art -
Just don't let her drive the Camaro. A friend of mine built a Dart to race brackets and Super Street. His wife talked him into letting her try, and he ended up have to build another car!!
View Quote

No problem there...That car scares the hell out of her!!!
I took her for a ride in it last year at Maple Grove. They had a cruise night right after Super Chevy and they let you do burnouts and go down the track...Only 1 lane was open, so no racing was allowed, but you could light up the tires or run through a couple gears, so long as you didn't wreck...

Well, I got tired of seeing the halfassed burnouts and lazy street rods, so I decided to take the wife out onto the track & do a burn-out...
The starting line was real wet from all the water being drug out from the water box...
I flipped the tires in the water box, rolled out a little, and mashed the pedal...
MAN-O-MAN...That goddamn tach went to 8,500 and stayed there to almost half track...
That was by far the loudest and longest smokey burnout I've ever done...(not good for the motor though)....8,500 RPM in high gear spins the tires around 170 MPH...We were probably doin 60-70 MPH with the tires still ablaze when I decided to lift...
People were clapping & cheering when I rolled back into the lanes to park...Felt like the coolest guy at the track...[:)]
Wife got out shaking though...
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I really need to get my wife out shooting more.

ah hell, I need to get out shooting myself.

How could you drag your most beloved and soulmate into the depths of "guns are ok, if you learn to use them properly".  My God man!   What if she ends up in the "I like them, and I have a right to own one guaranteed to me by the constitution" crowd?  It's a tough road to have to say things like.... "I am thinking of the children, but I'm also thinking of the psychopaths".

Sarcasm aside.... Welcome aboard dragracewife!!  

Enjoy the hobby and stay safe.

Me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome and Congratulations to you and your hubby!

I try to shoot at least every week and always invite my wife to go either to the indoor range or the farm where i shoot. The occasional times she does go we always have fun but wish I could convince her to go more often, She is a black belt in TaeKwondoe and that takes a lot of her time.
Shooting is a great sport and very relaxing too!!Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Thats great! I remember when I first let my wife shoot my guns, she fired my 1911(not exactly a girl friendly gun) better than me! She was just naming targets and then BANG hitting within an inch at 7 or 8 yards, on her first time with it! I now know I have to be careful around her (no cheating by me!) That woman is dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Way to go! Fantastic! Outstanding! Super Dee Duper!

We are all Proud and glad you gave it a shot. (pun intended)

I took a friday off work a couple weeks ago and too my wife shooting for the first time in about 7 years. First time since she got pregnant with our first child. Set her up with my custom 10/22 and filled mags for her.
She loved every minute! And wants to do it again.

My wife loves my PT92 also. It's her favorite.
But I do think she wants my 10/22 for herself, lol.

Keep up the good work and hope you have fun today.

Del
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#17]
The fear will go away as you become more confident/familiar/safer with them. The respect you give them should not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#18]
For goodness sake, dont shoot your eye out!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#20]
before for you know it you'll have your own guns. then your guns will be yours'  & his guns will be yours' [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I was a little scared when he took me to the range. But once I got the hang of it, I have to admit I enjoyed it!

Shoot safe and spread the word!
[;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#22]
You have been bitten, now you are one of us!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Hi DRW!  Welcome to the world of noise & gunsmoke!
 We were very glad to meet both of you and your little girls.  They are well behaved little ladies, I thind Little Spec is a bit overwhelmed  by the attention.  BTW, I'm glad your little girls look like mom - don't think a beard and buzz cut would look good on them. (hehehe)  Be glad to see you folks on the 30th.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Wecome to the wonderful world sports, my wife is a sometime shooter with her 38 snub. but at the gun shoot we went to last month. She got behind a 20mm! and let one go>>>!!!! I was real proud of her and like you, are in for good times to come. Good Job!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent. It's a little like learning how to drive. That first time you're nervous and scared, but with practice comes confidence and skill. I talked my wife into taking a pistol defense course and she loved it. It's a lifetime skill you will always enjoy. I am working right now with a NRA Trainer to become a certified instuctor so I can introduce this sport to new shooters like yourself.
Good shooting.[8D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hey Art -
View Quote

Did you say [B]Dart[/B]????????
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I took her out shooting again today...
This time we met up with a bunch of my friends at an old quarry.
She didn't know most of them, so she was a little shy and kept 'kinda quiet the whole time...
She definately wanted to shoot the Beretta again, so I let her shoot a couple boxes of ammo...
She had trouble pushing the rounds into the mags, so I loaded them for her and just let her shoot.
After she shot about 4 mags, I got out one of the AR's.(20"flattop w/red dot)
She looked at me 'kinda funny,like she wasn't ready for it yet, but I knew she could handle it.
She wanted me to shoot it first, so she could see what it did.
I only shot 4 or 5 rounds and then handed her the gun...
She finished the 30 round mag without any hesitation, so I loaded in another mag for her.
This time she was a bit more aggressive, shooting 30 rounds in about 25 seconds.
Accuracy wasn't bad either for her first time with an AR,  most shots all grouped in about a 4ft area at 100 yards...She really seemed to like the AR too, (but not as much as the 9mm Beretta).
After shooting the AR, I handed her an AK...This, she handed back to me after only a few shots...

She didn't care too much for the AK...Said it was hurting her shoulder.
I think she just wanted to go back to the Beretta, so I just let her keep shooting it...

She also thought it was cool when I "Bump-fired" my ENTIRE 100 round drum through my milled MAK-90.
(melted the synthetic handguards though)

I don't think SHE's ready to start bumpfiring yet...YET!    

I guess this means I gotta buy twice as much ammo now...[:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Art -
View Quote

Did you say [B]Dart[/B]????????
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
View Quote

Yes indeed I did!!  It only has a Mr440 in it though....  The second car is a Mr440 powered `68 Scamp.  I really need to get a scanner....
FWIW, the Dart currently has run a best of 10.70 with flat top pistons on PUMP GAS!!  The Scamp is in the mid 9's and still under developement.
Neither car is "on drugs" (no bottle).[:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Art - Good job!!  I bet the wife will like Shaggy's AR180.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#31]
HIP!...HIP!...HOORAY!...[:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I did the same thing, I took my wife out  shooting. Now she won't give my Hi-Power back, she does let me shoot my 1911 though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Today, my husband(dragracerart) took me to the gun range to shoot one of his handguns.

It was my first time ever to shoot a gun. I was really scared at first, but then I got use to firing it. I have to admit, I didn't like the whole idea of shooting a gun in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind my husband having guns, I'm just afraid of handling a gun.

I was a little scared when he took me to the range.  But once I got the hang of it, I have to admit I enjoyed it!

I actually can't wait until he takes me out again.  I told him once I get use to firing the handgun, I'd like to try shooting one of his AR-15's or AK-47's.

So wish me luck!  I'll keep you posted.     [newbie]
View Quote

Congrats. The world needs more people like you that are willing to address their fears head on. As you found out the range is full of nice folks  who just happen to enjoy the sport of shooting. My advice, stay away from the high caliber stuff until you are comfortable handling / shooting.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um,er,uh...
I don't want to sound lke an idiot, but...
What's an AR180???

If I had to guess, I'd say it's one of those full auto 22LR guns with a drum on the top???

Not real familiar with FA guns...
I've got the impression shaggy only has big $$$ FA stuff...
(I'd like him to be my friend) [:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I forgot to mention...

Yesterday when we were shooting, one of my buddies let DragRaceWife shoot his Ruger 22LR pistol...

She wasn't impressed at all!!!

I figured she'd prefer the little 22LR instead of the 9MM Beretta, but no way! she shot 1 clip through it and handed it back to the guy, said "THANK YOU" and went back to shooting the Beretta !!!
She said the Ruger 22 was too wimpy!

Can you believe that !

I think I've created a MONSTER !!!

I'll have to take some pics next time out and post them for you guys...

I guess in addition to a 2nd Beretta, she'll want me to buy her some camo clothing now too...

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MY SWEET INNOCENT WIFE ???
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I am always glad to see people shooting guns for the first time and liking it!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to the club.
Up until last April my wife HATED guns.
Today she owns 3 22lr rifles, 1 22lr pistol, 1 .357 mag revolver, 1 20ga remington semi auto and she "stole" my Beretta 12ga 390 Trap gun. Yesterday she got 16 out of 25 at Trap using the 390 with a new Wenig Ladies stock. Only the second time she's shot the 390.
Last night she hepled me reload 200 12ga shells.
She's having fun and I could not ask for a better mate. Ain't life good!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Um,er,uh...
I don't want to sound lke an idiot, but...
What's an AR180???
View Quote

Yep, it's basically a .22 LR lead spray hose! Shaggy IS the man!!  Stapled belly or not!!  (sorry Shag, I couldn't resist!!) If it weren't for his encouragement and others, I wouldn't be on a ClassIII fundraising mission right now.  BTW, you don't know anybody that needs a new set of BME rods for a 440 do you???  [;)]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/sy/YF/7M/J736516.jpg[/img]

BUY ME SO GUS CAN GET A MACHINE GUN!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
The American 180 is a high speed, high capacity  .22LR submachinegun.   The round drum that sits on top holds 165rds (drums also come in 220rd and 275rd sizes).  The rounds sit in 3 to 5  layers, placed side to side, pointed to the center of the circle (like the rounds in a  Lewis gun).  There's a spring loaded metal winding mechanisim that sits in the center of the drum and powers it.  Shoots from an open bolt and fires between 27 to 30rds per second.  With a large drum you can put more than a half brick of .22 downrange in about 10 seconds.  Sounds more like a lawn mower or chainsaw than a gun.

Nifty?

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wt/wt80918.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The American 180 is a high speed, high capacity  .22LR submachinegun.   The round drum that sits on top holds 165rds (drums also come in 220rd and 275rd sizes).  The rounds sit in 3 to 5  layers, placed side to side, pointed to the center of the circle (like the rounds in a  Lewis gun).  There's a spring loaded metal winding mechanisim that sits in the center of the drum and powers it.  Shoots from an open bolt and fires between 27 to 30rds per second.  With a large drum you can put more than a half brick of .22 downrange in about 10 seconds.  Sounds more like a lawn mower or chainsaw than a gun.

Nifty?

View Quote

I guess paspecops may have to grant one exception to the "no thirty round bursts" rule....  maybe revise it to a one or two second burst duration rule??  It'll take me longer than that to wipe the sh*t eatin grin off my face!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Paspecops is (of course) the final word on this - whatever he says goes.  If no long bursts is the rule, we can load it light and keep it short.  I unfortunately don't have a supressor for it, but I'm trying to get a friend of mine to come who has one for his M16 which we could use on the 180 (same threading). If noise is the problem, we might be able to work around it with a supressor.

BTW - I haven't shot it for about a month or two, but I STILL have that stupid sh*t eatin grin...
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Good for you...
My wife is a better shot than I am with a revolver and that's a good thing.

Enjoy the shooting sports,

It beats being a sheeple.

Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#44]
How do gt my Wife to go shooting with me? I tried grabbing her by the hair and dragging her out, but shae just called me a neanderthal. Any tips?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry it took me so long to get back, but I have 4 girls to take care of.  With two in diapers!

Well, I have to say I definately ENJOYED myself.  I love the AR-15!!! Dragracerart handed me one of his AR's and told me to shoot it.  I was scared I would embarass myself in front of his friends.  But I stepped up to the plate and started firing his AR.  I didn't want his friends to think I was a wimp or anything.  I wasn't a bit nervous when I started to shoot.  

Later on during the day he handed me one of his AK-47's.  I wasn't nervous to shoot it, but when I did, I ended up giving it back to Art.  I didn't like shooting it at all.  I feel more comfortable with the AR.  It makes me feel POWERFULL!!!!!

The AK kicks harder and seemed real sloppy.  On the other hand, the AR shoots real soft.

I'm not conceited, but I was very proud of myself.  I didn't think I could do it.  [:)]

Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think I've created a MONSTER !!!

I guess in addition to a 2nd Beretta, she'll want me to buy her some camo clothing now too...

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MY SWEET INNOCENT WIFE ???
View Quote

He has definately created a MONSTER!!!

It's funny he mentioned about the camo clothing, because I was actually thinking of getting some pants like his.  I would also like my own Beretta.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I got my wife to shoot once. It wasn't a bad experiance for her she's just not interested. How do you suppose I can get her interested? Your a woman. What will it take?
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#48]
dragracewife, did I or did I not tell you that you'd love the AR15?

It's such a pussycat but yet it's such a joy to shoot.   Dragraceart, you need to grab some mild steel or something so she can put some neat little holes through some 3/16 inch mild steel from 75 yards away or something like that, 2 liter bottles of water along with some 55grn Vmax loads are fun too.

Now, if your heart can take it and one of these days you find you really LOVE shooting the AR but you want to shoot long range precision style then check these AR15s out, the term "pretty" isn't quite fitting but I don't know you tell me.

Hot rod AR15s, HOOBOY!
[url]http://www.jpar15.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By uncle buck:
I got my wife to shoot once. It wasn't a bad experiance for her she's just not interested. How do you suppose I can get her interested? Your a woman. What will it take?
View Quote

Sorry, I don't know really.  My husband just kept asking me to go and I would make excuses.  Then finally I said, Yes!  To get him off my back.  But sad to say on my part, I loved it.

Maybe you should tell her you need someone to go with you, and who better than your wife.  Or compromise with her.  For instance, is there something she asks you to do with her, and you don't?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
dragracewife, did I or did I not tell you that you'd love the AR15?

It's such a pussycat but yet it's such a joy to shoot.   Dragraceart, you need to grab some mild steel or something so she can put some neat little holes through some 3/16 inch mild steel from 75 yards away or something like that, 2 liter bottles of water along with some 55grn Vmax loads are fun too.

Now, if your heart can take it and one of these days you find you really LOVE shooting the AR but you want to shoot long range precision style then check these AR15s out, the term "pretty" isn't quite fitting but I don't know you tell me.

Hot rod AR15s, HOOBOY!
[url]http://www.jpar15.com[/url]
View Quote

You're right "PRETTY" is not the word.  It is hard to describe, but I do know that I would like to own one.  The price on the complete rifle is a bit steep, but Art and I both like the blue upper kit for $1100.  Have you, or someone you know ever shot one of these guns???  They look so coooooool!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top