Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 4:54:31 AM EDT
... just in case they're too stupid to realize it...

From Fox News

Bodies of Iraqi Soldiers Discovered
Sunday, October 24, 2004

BAGHDAD, Iraq — The bodies of about 50 Iraqi soldiers were found on a remote road in eastern Iraq, apparently the victims of an ambush as they were heading home on leave, Iraqi authorities said Sunday.

Interior Ministry spokesman Adnan Abdul-Rahman said the victims were believed to have been killed about sundown Saturday on a road about 95 miles east of Baghdad near the Iranian border.

There were conflicting reports on the exact number of dead, whether they were members of the Iraqi army or the Iraqi National Guard and whether they were all killed execution-style.

Iraqi government spokeswoman Maha Malik quoted witnesses as saying insurgents fired rocket-propelled grenades at about two vehicles carrying the unarmed troops.

Gen. Walid al-Azzawi, commander of the Diyala provincial police, said the bodies were laid out in four rows each, with 12 bodies in each row.

"After inspection, we found out that they were shot after being ordered to lay down on the earth," he said.

Al-Azzawi said he believed the soldiers had been training at the Kirkush military camp northeast of Baghdad.

An Associated Press reporter on the scene reported seeing the burned frames of two minibuses. Bloodstains were visible on the ground, along with human remains. Witnesses said the attackers stole some buses. Police said they had found 51 bodies from the attack place.

A U.S. military source in the region confirmed the incident, but was uncertain of the number of dead.

Shot like sheep. What a FU*CKED UP way for a soldier to die....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Why the fuck would anyone in that part of the world (or anywhere for that matter) simply lie down on the ground when ordered to in that situation?

It boggles my mind that any human, ESPECIALLY A SOLIDER would think that any show of compliance would be treated any differently than resistance.  That is, you MIGHT die if you fight but you sure as shit ARE going to die if you submit.

That's the one thing that has been uppermost in my mind since reading the "terrorist training manuals" that were found after 9/11 and seeing how the RoP operates since then.  If confronted fight like a cornered rat on a plank at sea because you ARE GOING TO BE KILLED ANYWAY.  I'll be Goddamned if I will simply lie down like a dog and let someone put a 7.62x39 round in the back of my skull without some kind of fight.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
This reminds me of the Central American soldier who, when faced with insurmountable odds, charged the terrorists with nothing more than a folding knife.  It caught the heathens off guard and they fled.

Never give up - especially when dealing with these cowards.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I read another report, that said the were UNARMED going home on leave.

They need to wise up. This isn't like US basic trainees going home to MT on leave.

They are in a war zone............................... They need to be armed 24/7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top