Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2001 1:58:12 PM EDT
[img]http://ie.yimg.com/3/4a25da78/h/7ba4b16a/kaboom008.jpg[/img]

More photos here. I hope the guy didnt get hurt.

[url]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/quarterbore?d&.flabel=fld13&.src=ph[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The bolt is still in battery.  Now that is quality!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that the carier split in half?!?!? Woh!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Who owns that AR?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The cause of that kaboom apparently was handgun powder in the .223 reload.
View Quote

Is that what it was?  I couldn't find an explanation.  I thought maybe the shooter fired a subsequent round into a squib load.

Regardless, that's ugly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That's not an RRA I hope!  Haven't even got my LEGP yet and I'm having nightmares!

Bradd
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone tell if the lower is bulged ... I probably cry if I blew up one of my Prebans...

Ryan
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow! I didn't know a carrier would split right down the middle like that!

Just shows you the forces at work, huh?
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]What you do expect out of a .40 S&W Glock, they just do that all the time!

Oh wow, it wasn't a .40 Glock afterall.[/b][;D]

(And this is for all you .40 Glock haters - [-!-].)
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Observe:
The environment- Cold, snow.
The failure- excess pressure within or failure of bolt carrier to contain pressure.
The gas rings- distorted and expanded out of slot.
The position of bolt cam- rotated just under gas tube.
The gas tube- no distortion indicating primary effects of overpressure, possible slight bending caused by secondary effects.

IF this is not the result of a bad handload such as excess loading or wrong powder, some possible causes might be:

The cold- causing lubricant failure to slow movement of bolt and excess pressure to build within bolt carrier.

The cold- causing depressed primer ignition and allowing unburned powder to pass through gas tube into bolt carrier, possibly accumulating and/or ignited by a subsequent firing.

The snow- inadvertant contact with muzzle causing obtruction to barrel and excess back pressure into gas system.

Notice that the bolt is rotated nearly out of battery. This could be because of firng before fully in battery but more likely the bolt was not prevented from rotating because of normal chamber pressure, or excess chamber pressure was not enough to jam bolt against barrel engagement. The bolt carrier began its normal rearward movement, rotating bolt to its present position, almost disengaged from barrel. As pressure built, bolt carrier failed and expanded. The expansion was sufficient to disengage carrier from bolt cam before bolt rotated sufficiently to disengage barrel. The bolt stopped rotating and remained engaged,and chamber pressure did not escape into reciever. All of the observed effects of over pressure are either from excess pressure through gas system into bolt carrier, or a secondary detonation within the bolt carrier, or failure of bolt carrier to contain normal pressure.
Alternativley, excess chamber pressure could cause bolt to jam rearward, increasing friction of rotation slowing rearward movement of bolt carrier and causing excess pressure to build in bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I sure hope no one was hurt.
I mourn the loss of an AR.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I can imagine what 26 grains of Tite Group would do to an AR...KBoom!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#17]
handgun powder?
ive used unique powder for 55 grain loads for years with nary a problem before i switched to blc2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top