Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 12:42:22 PM EDT
Anyone have a review on this HK clone rifle?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a review, but I'll write one since I have one.

The PTR is a fun gun to shoot.  Every time I bring It out, my shooting partner wants to get some trigger time on it.

I don't know what the quality of the current production guns are, but my first one had to be replaced by the manufacturer.  It would not eject spent casings.  This was the case with almost all of the first run of guns from JLD.

The gun that replaced has never had a malf.  However it only likes Mil surplus ammo.  If I run federal American Eagle thru it, I get burst and blown primers.  Also I had the same problem getting the gun zeroed that I did with the first one, but to a lesser extent.  I ended up having to relieve the bottom of the sight drum to the the POI to an acceptable level.  And even with the rear sight base drifted all the way to the left, my rifle still shoots a couple of minutes to the right.

I believe the sight issue is largely due to the cocking tube not being true with the bore.  Although I am not an expert in the construction if HK style guns.

The buttstock and forearm are cheezy as hell, but I have not yet replaced them with HK furniture.

Recoil is vicious.  Both my shooting buddy and I have bruised shoulders after firing just 20 - 30 rounds from the gun.

BOTTOM LINE:  I like the gun, but wish I had only paid about $400.00 for it.  It runs flawlessly.  And even though it doesn't like commercial ammo, it has not misfed when I tried it.  It is a very handsome gun.  The finish is beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
mwdg3.homestead.com/g3misc.html Basic info on the G3 clones
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Two more points that I forgot to address...

Accuracy.  The PTR is anything but a Precision Rifle.  I think I shot a 3 minute group at 100 yards once, but 4-5 minutes is about the norm.  It's combat accurate, but not precision.

And the barrel...   It's polygonal like the Glock.  It copper fouls like a Mother Fugger!  I cleaned mine three times since the last shoot, and I almost got all the copper out.  You can see it right at the crown!  You will go thru a shit load of SWEETS 7.62 for sure.  I think I figgered out a good routine for getting it out, finally.  It's a lot of work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 144 grain Aussie surplus ammo.....I have yet to try match grade...

It may not be a Precision Rifle as markm has said, I do think it's a tad better than combat grade....

Wonderfully made clone.....get one if you have a chance....you will not regret it..
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the PTR-91's official web site at:
www.jldenter.com/
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]
You get what you pay for. And thats is never more true here.  I have a HK91 and an A3.  The A3 is vicious to shoot.  Much worse then the solid stock which is also stout.  Very accurate with most ammo. NO FTFs or FTEs or malfunctions of any kind.  I also have a SAR 3/8 which I shoot the most.  I paid $1200 for it brand new. Same quality as the HK guns.  

I would forgo the clone guns and get a SAR3.  They are significantly cheaper and you get the same quality.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mine shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 144 grain Aussie surplus ammo.....I have yet to try match grade...

I CALL BS!

There is no way one of those JLD barrels is a 1/2 MOA creation.  I like my gun, and am not trying to sell it, but if it shot 1/2 MOA I'd sell it for 1,000 dollars in a MINUTE, Pinochio!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I CALL BS!

There is no way one of those JLD barrels is a 1/2 MOA creation.  I like my gun, and am not trying to sell it, but if it shot 1/2 MOA I'd sell it for 1,000 dollars in a MINUTE, Pinochio!

+1

It takes a SERIOUSLY well made AR to routinely group 1/2 MOA.  There is NO fucking way any rack grade HK or HK clone is going to do it.  MUCH less with military ammo.

Good joke, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Fuck you all...

If I still had the target I would post the pic...

Next time I shoot I'll prove you all wrong...asshats
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of groups can one expect out of a real HK or a good clone anyway?

I really want a 91 or 93 clone... but if it can't keep up with my AR or an M1A then I'm just wasting what little money I do have for toys.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
You can probably get at least 2 MOA.  I really doubt you cant get 1/2 MOA, unless youre at a 50 yard range.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can probably get at least 2 MOA.  I really doubt you cant get 1/2 MOA, unless youre at a 50 yard range.

Huh?  A half MOA at fifty is going to be a half minute at a hundred too unless there were some major bullet stabilization issues.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine shoots 5" groups too.  No target rifle.  

Rather than sell it and lose a couple of hundred on it I just decided to put a dot sight and use it at the papid fire range.  

It also bruised my shoulder until I put a rubber recoil buffer in it.  Felt like it cut the recoil in half.

I'll buy another one when they start putting regular barrels on them and flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Clarification.  If he shot at a 50 yard range but calculated the MOA as if he was at a 100 yards range.  Then it might be possible.  HK91s are battle rifles not sniper rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top