Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 4:03:07 PM EDT
Are some AR-15's fully automatic? Also, if you have a pre-ban lower and a post-ban upper, is it pre-ban or post-ban? Can anybody help? I would really like info on AR-15's all together.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the early prototype AR15's were full auto before the M16 designation was adopted.  The Air Force did buy some before the designation M16 and they were marked AR15's.  These are very rare and would be expensive as hell.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Also pointed out on the History Channel show about the M16, several were issued to American advisers before the M16 designation, so they would be full auto AR15's as well, if you could find one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
They were designated Ar15's before colt bought
the right's. you may have a Colt rifle but remmember there still called ar15. ar = "Armilite Rifle" one point if you do find a
Ar15 Full Auto(early M16) these will run 10K +
ive seen one for sell.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to be an ass but I think AR stands for ARmalite not Armalite Rifle.  This was discussed heavily in a previous topic.  There was a link to a pic of one of the early Colt's that still beared Armalite's name but I can't seem to locate it.

Here's the pic
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1539930&a=11670340&p=50033192&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

ques
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Try again guys. Stoner told me in '92 that "AR" stood for "automatic rifle". Someone at Colt may have changed the original designation to "ARmalite".
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
No, No the media would want you to believe that AR means "Assault Rifle".  And I mean cmon guys, the media 1.) wouldn't lie to you  2.) knows exactly what they're talking about.

DUH!

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try again guys. Stoner told me in '92 that "AR" stood for "automatic rifle". Someone at Colt may have changed the original designation to "ARmalite".
View Quote

I thought this debate would be over by now!!

Armalite.com FAQ
[b]WHAT DOES THE "AR" IN AR-15, AR-180, OR AR-10 STAND FOR?[/b]

There is a common misconception that AR stands for "ArmaLite Rifle."   This is untrue.  The AR-17, for instance, is a 12-gauge shotgun.  Early designations like ArmaLite 10 were shortened to simply AR-10.  The AR refers to ArmaLite.

The ArmaLite Division of Fairchild developed the AR-15 in 1959.  Fairchild licensed the rifle to the Colt's Patent Firearm Manufacturing Corporation, and Colt's assumed the AR-15 trademark.  Early Colt rifles were marked "Colt ArmaLite 15."  Even today, the designation to that Colt brand rifle refers, somewhat embarrassingly, to ArmaLite.
View Quote

http://www.armalite.com/library/faq/faq_list.htm#10
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is a common misconception that AR stands for "ArmaLite Rifle."   This is untrue.  The AR-17, for instance, is a 12-gauge shotgun.  Early designations like ArmaLite 10 were shortened to simply AR-10.  The AR refers to ArmaLite.
View Quote

So, AR refers to "ArmaLite" only, not "ArmaLite Rifle"?

-[blue]ChaZ[/blue][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/skull.gif[/img]
View Quote

Correct
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top