Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 7:19:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
From my readings, it is my understanding that Project Exile is designed to be used on previously convicted felons.  That AFTER the original conviction (in which these people lose their 2nd Amendment rights under due process of law) that if they are found in possession of a firearm (or ammunition) they are in violation of a federal law and can be sent to prison for 5 years.  They don't have to be accused of ANYTHING ELSE.  Simple possession is enough.

The purpose of the law that Project Exile uses was to get multiple offenders off the streets, and to encourage other felons to avoid firearms when out of prison.  

However, the things that can get you a felony conviction today would make Ayn Rand's head spin, and the likelihood of abuse of this law is extremely high, IMHO.  And it's "zero tolerance" - which means "zero common sense".

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, this sounded like a good idea when I first heard of it (ya know screw the felons, who cares),but the chances of it being abused concerns me now. These days some very upstanding citizens may likely become felons in the near future because of some obscene unConstitutional laws being proferred these days. This could be a Trojan Horse for us gunowners. If it's a good idea politicians and lawyers willscrew with it until it's meaning is exactly the opposite of its intent. Thes days my outlook on the future gets pretty bleak at times, I keep telling myself, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts....
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What Tattoo said...I know of no reason to be a felon if you obey the law and live a Christian life. Now one day, the leftists will probably make THAT a crime, then I guess I'll be a felon...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top