Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 10:59:30 AM EDT
I am interested in what you do and what they are looking for.  How far are the marches, etc?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You run, ruck, and do LOTS of land navigation (map and compass work), day and night.  You're never told how long a run or ruck is, or the time standards.  On some of the land nav exercises, you're not told how many points you must find.  You're only told to do your best; you're then evaluated on your performance.  You don't get any feedback from the cadre until you're a) boarded out in either of the two interim boards, b) you're told you completed "training" but were not selected, or c) you're told you've been selected.  You take an APFT at the beginning to ensure you meet the entry standards.  You get 4 hours of sleep a night, no more.  You eat pretty well--breakfast and dinner are in the mess hall, while lunch is an MRE.  You spend a good deal of unoccupied time (precious little) taking care of your feet and equipment.  What else do you want to know?  How about some background on you--are you in the Army yet?  If so, what MOS and where?  What rank?  If you're in, have you attended an SF briefing?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#2]
All that I can say is that I have never rucked so much in my life. It got to the point that I always thought that I had on a rucksack and we became one so to speak. Two critical points to remember with SFAS:
1)DO NOT BE LATE(w/ regards to any formation)
2)DO NOT BE LITE(w/ regards to the rucksack)
Oh, yeah. Repeat the phrase "Suck it up and drive on" as needed in order to stay motivated.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Goose, I emailed you personally.  Thanks!  Anyone have pointers on how I should be training?  How far should I be rucking over the mountains?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So what is SFAS?  Is it part of the Army or a civilian thing?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
SFAS=Special Forces Assessment and Selection
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]
US Army Special Forces are always on the scout to find people, because it is hard to find the right ones.  When I PCSd to Ft Campbell, they gave all of us a booklet on just what it entailed and what you needed to do, etc.  It was a laundry list of things, too numerous to go into here.  This went to all the Officers (at least the combat arms ones) who were transferring in on the assumption that if you tell everyone, the ones that really want to do it will try, and the ones that really can will succeed.  

I didn't even contemplate trying.  It's not the thing for someone to do unless they truly want to do that.  Not to say I'm a puss (OK maybe I am[;)], but SF wasn't for me and I had enough brains to know it.  I was a line dog through and through.

COMMANDER
USAJFKSWCS
ATTN: ATSU-SP-R
Ft Bragg, NC  28307-5000
AUTOVON 239-1818 (appropriate suffix, "18", get it?)
Commercial (919)432-1818

Or

COMMANDER
HQ USAREC
ATTN: USARCRO-SM-SF
Ft Sheriden, IL  60037-5000
AUTOVON 459-7284
Commercial (708) 926-7284
Toll Free 1-800-223-3735 x 7284

Just tell them what you want to do and they'll send you the current info.

This information is about 10yrs old, so it may not be accurate.  If it's not, think of it as your first test.  If you can't get to the right people with this as a starting point, don't bother continuing [:D]

Ross
(Who is proud to have been "just a line dog")
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top