Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2001 11:26:53 PM EDT
Ok, I'm from Pennsylvania and I now live in Alaska I've heard about the messed up laws they have out in CA but I really don't know what they are.  I've looked around the web but could somebody give me the gist of the deal?  People can't own an AR-15 there?  Thanks for the help.

Gunner
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
rough list:
No centerfire assault weapons named specifically by model or have one feature: pistol grip, flash hider, yada yada, sold in CA. All those previously owned must be registered. (two different laws)  If you have one almost impossible to get it in.

Target pistols often fell under this law but a state law allowed some models.

Cannot buy or sell pistol not approved by state testing unless through private transfer through an ffl.  No paperless transfers of any firearms. Some cities restrict size of guns through "junk gun" laws.

Very difficult to get CCW except in certain counties.

Not a very gun friendly place.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy shit!!!!

I don't plan on EVER living there.  I'm glad to be from and now live in a gun friendly state.  I could never imagine Alaska passing a law like that up here.  People would freak out.  

That shit just doesn't seem right.  I can't believe there are people out there that would love if the entire country passed laws like that.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No NFA/ClassIII by the way. Except for the criminals of course.

It is most definately not right. People are idiots for moving here for many reasons.  Taxes are out of control here.  10% income tax plus 8% sales tax.  High property taxes.  Regulations up the wazoo.

Why am I an idiot and stay?  Well... still working on the wife to move, but this is where our family is, I love my house and where it is, the weather is great, and it is home.  Plus someone has to stay and fight.

Might move to Nevada eventually though, or at least get a summer home there.  Freedom (as long as they don't let more liberals move to LV) and still just a couple hours away from home.

But doorgunner, it isn't right that someone should have to choose between home and freedom.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But doorgunner, it isn't right that someone should have to choose between home and freedom.
View Quote

I hear ya man.  It just show's the rest of us that we can't take our rights for granted or they will be taken from us as well.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No NFA/ClassIII by the way. Except for the criminals of course.

It is most definately not right. People are idiots for moving here for many reasons.  Taxes are out of control here.  10% income tax plus 8% sales tax.  High property taxes.  Regulations up the wazoo.

Why am I an idiot and stay?  Well... still working on the wife to move, but this is where our family is, I love my house and where it is, the weather is great, and it is home.  Plus someone has to stay and fight.

Might move to Nevada eventually though, or at least get a summer home there.  Freedom (as long as they don't let more liberals move to LV) and still just a couple hours away from home.

View Quote

Those Kali gun laws are a bitch, this is all we were able to have at last Saturdays shoot:
[url] http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=27189#lastPost [/url]

What's this shit I hear that you need to have a permit to even posess a handgun in NY?
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What's this shit I hear that you need to have a permit to even posess a handgun in NY?
View Quote

yep its true, violation is a felony.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The reason CA gunlaws is so much in the spotlight is due to the media. It is being shown as a big success for anti gun factions. I believe there are more restrictive states out there such as NJ for instance. NC I believe already have a form of handgun lic and so does IL with there FOID card.

For more in depth CA aw laws see this

[url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf[/url]

List of pending or enacted bills
[url]http://www.calnra.org/1999-2000calbills.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't remember where, but one of the CA gun law sites with the ".gov" suffix.  It specifically stated that all Bushmaster, Colt, and Armalite rifles were illegal.  So even if you removed your pistol grip, your AR-15 would be illegal in California.[>:/] [V]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't remember where, but one of the CA gun law sites with the ".gov" suffix.  It specifically stated that all Bushmaster, Colt, and Armalite rifles were illegal.  So even if you removed your pistol grip, your AR-15 would be illegal in California.[>:/] [V]
View Quote

Yep. You can't purchase them, but you can still own them legally, if aquired before the law took effect, and they are registered.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup all ar and ak clones are banneds unless you owned one prior to when the law went into effect and you registered it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

yep its true, violation is a felony.
View Quote

That's what I thought. My grandfather, a NY gunowner, including an evil .22 pistol, died a few weeks ago. My mom is there taking care of things. I thought the safest way to deal with his guns was to take them to a NY FFL and have him ship them to a CA FFL. All nice and legal like. Now I discover she can't take a fucking .22 pistol out of the fuckin house without risking a fucking felony.

Pardon my French.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No NFA/ClassIII by the way. Except for the criminals of course.....
View Quote

I seem to remember that some guru had full-auto totin' bodyguards, no?

[red]PRK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top