Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2001 2:28:09 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a Mossberg 590 tommorow. Any thoughts? Does anybody have the D.A. version?

[img]http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/images/5066501.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned 2 500's, a 590 (like in the pic), and currently a 590A1.  Great shotguns!

Bradd
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one exactly like the picture. 20" bbl, bayo lug, speed-feed stock, ghost ring sights. It's great.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine.  (OK - gotta put my shameless plug here; its for sale!) Good gun, but I'm not into really shotguns.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/Lb/EY/sq/vf35528.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the  Mossberg "security" for $219 at Big 5 much different than the 590?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 590, too; actually it's my second.  I sold my first one to finance a Corvette engine build, & regretted it.  I found my present one at a past gun show & jumped all over it all over again.  I'm presently about to buy the Hogue Compstock kit for it, so the wife can enjoy shooting it.  The elevator has also been modified to reliably cycle the Aguila minishells, of which it'll hold 15.  Great choice for a scattergun!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Shaggy, that looks like a mariner. Is it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]
D.A. is a double action "feel" version of the same scattergun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this what we're talking about?

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Gv/ZV/pZ/N294281.jpg[/img]

#50668 590 12 ga. Pump Action 9-shot capacity, parkerized finish, Ghost Ring Sights, 20" cylinder bore barrel and Speed-Feed® stock (holds two extra rounds on each side of the stock)

Or would that be the 590A1 #51668, which appears to be the same other than the metal parts and heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Shaggy, that looks like a mariner. Is it?
View Quote

Good call - Mossy Mariner 590 with a Butler Creek sidefolder
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The DA model is DA only.
Mossberg advertises it as "long, deliberate trigger pull".
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What, exactly, would the point of that be?  Not like the 590 is a semi-auto, which this seems more suited for.  Or maybe I'm just hitting the pipe too much again.
View Quote

The point is for dumbasses that don't know to keep their finger off the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#15]
DA trigger pull is supposed to be marketed toward LEO's.  The trigger is supposed to replicate the DA trigger pull on the handguns carried by most agencies.

Have not shot one.  I think the DA trigger is probably an answer to a problem that does not exist.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is the  Mossberg "security" for $219 at Big 5 much different than the 590?
View Quote

That should be the 500 model
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, exactly, would the point of that be?  Not like the 590 is a semi-auto, which this seems more suited for.  Or maybe I'm just hitting the pipe too much again.
View Quote

The point is for dumbasses that don't know to keep their finger off the trigger.
View Quote

BINGO!!!  We have a winner!![beer]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Angry Ken in PRK:
DA trigger pull is supposed to be marketed toward LEO's.  The trigger is supposed to replicate the DA trigger pull on the handguns carried by most agencies.

Have not shot one.  I think the DA trigger is probably an answer to a problem that does not exist.
View Quote
                                               Well said!!!!!.......[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the DA trigger is an excellent idea. If I have to go shotgun to shotgun against a cop, I want HIM to have the it. I traded my Mossberg 590A1 toward a BenelliM1Super90, I wish I had kept it and bought the 'nelli outright. Good shotgun, AVOID DA TRIGGER LIKE PLAGUE!
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://www.jps.net/badzorak/WebImages/MOSSY.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.jps.net/badzorak/WebImages/MOSSY4.JPG[/img]

This is what you want: [img]http://www.jps.net/badzorak/WebImages/MOSSY2.JPG[/img]

The Mossberg M590A1, that is mine in theses pictures, I love it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep Frank, thats what I want. Where did you get it, how much did it cost and do you know if there is a metal barrel shroud that will fit it? Also, what type of finish is that?

That is a sharp looking shotgun.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I paid something like $425

I got it at a local shop, they special ordered it for me since they sold the last 5 they just got in.

I hear you can't get a heat sheild for it, the ghost ring sights prevent the barrel from being removed if it has a sheild on it. The bead sight model you can get a sheild for it.

The finish is a standard military finish. The M590A1 differs from a normal 590 in that it has a metal trigger group, metal safety, heavy barrel and finish. So look for the side like in the picture above to be stamped "M590A1". I got the one with the ghost ring sights and speed feed stock which holds 4 rounds (2 on each side).
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#23]
A friend of mine has the Mossberg Pump, came with 2 barrels.  

Its JUNK!  His safety would often slide on during clay pigeon shooting.  Not too good for your score.  He finally fixed that cheap ball bearing safety by replacing it with another spring and a BB.

You get what you pay for.  Try a Winchester 1300 Defender.  I know Winchester isnt the most expensive shotgun (many think that $$ always=quality) but Winchester has some of the smoothest pump gun actions you will find.  

For an auto, try Browning A-5.  Mine has had thousands of shells through it and never jammed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#24]
590? JUNK? This thing is torture tested to the max. Frozen, beaten, salt watered to death, dropped, 10,000 round firings without malfunction. Just cuz your friend has a grip problem (obviously holding it too high) does not junk the gun make(to paraphrase Yoda) It's the choice of the USMC. And if there's one think I know, the USMC doesn't skimp on it's killing tools. One of my friends was a FAST team jarhead and that was the 590 was the 12ga. of choice. It may not be as smooth or purty as a Winchester or Remington, but goddamn son, that's one of the most durable shotguns on the market today! Junk? HA!

I believe that Browning stopped making the Auto 5 a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the 590 with the heavy bbl, metal safty and trigger.  Not sure if they make the safty and trigger with plastic anymore.  I have a baynet, sidesaddle, combo(pistol + normal) speedfeed stock, surefire 6z light & ghost ring sights. BTW im looking for trijcon type front sight for mine if anyone knows where I can get one.  I holds 8+1 and 10 in the SS & SP stock.  With this set up its heavy.  Its mainly a house/yard/camp/ gun but I do 3 gun shoots with it all the time and do very well.  I think it is one of the best for the $$$.  You will not be sorry.  BTW I would go with the 590 over the 500...its worth the extra cash.
my .1/2 cents
Riz
"Its JUNK!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#27]
All I can say is what I saw.  The safety (on the top) would slide due to gravity into the safe position.  The guy said the ball bearing under the switch was stuck or something like that.  Sounds like a crappy design, prone to fail (consider the ball bearing and spring getting stuck due to rust or dirt penetration).

So, maybe this mossberg is the Picasso of the shotgun (to some of you) world but when I pull the trigger I expect a bang.  A mean looking black shotgun might look scary, but the actual bang is what counts.  

Considering that a pump shotgun is one of the simplest designs, problems should be few and far between, ESPECIALLY a free-sliding safety.

I'll stick to my 1300 Defender.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top