Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2004 9:59:46 AM EDT
I was just told by the Board of Elections President for my county that the Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell just changed the acceptable standard for voter registration cards. Voter registration will ONLY be accepted on an 80# paper stock card issued by the local Boards of Elections.

This will create a mad rush to re-register everyone in the state who has registered via online sites or PACs. People who THINK they are registered are NOT and will NOT be registered on November 2 when they show up at their precinct polling station unless they re-register on the OFFICIAL voting card only available from the Board of Elections.

If this isn't a crock of booger cheese.

I understand that Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) has already said they intend to ignore this. All the smaller counties seem to think they can get everyone re-registered before the deadline. The big counties can forget it.

I expect major lawsuit actions to come down on this one. Blackwell is already changed the rules midstream when the Libertarian Party was gathering petition signatures for Minority Party ballot access. Ohio is one of just a few states in the union which has blockaded minority parties from getting onto the ballot. The libertarians have sued and depending on the Ohio Supreme Court decision, it could actually affect the results of the entire election.

Ohio is a stinking mess.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The dems are fighting to keep Nader off of the ballot here in WI.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was just told by the Board of Elections President for my county that the Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell just changed the acceptable standard for voter registration cards. Voter registration will ONLY be accepted on an 80# paper stock card issued by the local Boards of Elections.

This will create a mad rush to re-register everyone in the state who has registered via online sites or PACs. People who THINK they are registered are NOT and will NOT be registered on November 2 when they show up at their precinct polling station unless they re-register on the OFFICIAL voting card only available from the Board of Elections.

If this isn't a crock of booger cheese.

I understand that Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) has already said they intend to ignore this. All the smaller counties seem to think they can get everyone re-registered before the deadline. The big counties can forget it.

I expect major lawsuit actions to come down on this one. Blackwell is already changed the rules midstream when the Libertarian Party was gathering petition signatures for Minority Party ballot access. Ohio is one of just a few states in the union which has blockaded minority parties from getting onto the ballot. The libertarians have sued and depending on the Ohio Supreme Court decision, it could actually affect the results of the entire election.

Ohio is a stinking mess.

Jimmy Carter, go check that one out, too - oops, I forgot that this one is in favor of the Democrats, so we won't be seeing you up there....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Nader is currently on the ballot from the last that I heard, but it's in court.

The battle here is ugly and if the state goes to the Dems, I think there's going to be some major SHTF. You know I've been railing on the Ohio GOP for a while now, and I think that they have a lot more to lose than just some seats. There could be some major endictments handed down after this is all said and done.

I know that its uglier than sin out here in Preble. I've never seen so many Dem signs in my life in this county.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know that its uglier than sin out here in Preble. I've never seen so many Dem signs in my life in this county.

Thats telling in that part of the state. Time to up the con propaganda, cuz the lieberals are getting their word across.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but according to some folks on this board, voting Libertarian is throwing your vote away, so who cares, right?  Maybe a Libertarian would get elected once in awhile if they could get on the ballot.  

Isn't Ohio the state that the CEO of Diebold (electronic voting machines) said he could "deliver" to GWB?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, but according to some folks on this board, voting Libertarian is throwing your vote away, so who cares, right?  Maybe a Libertarian would get elected once in awhile if they could get on the ballot.  

Isn't Ohio the state that the CEO of Diebold (electronic voting machines) said he could "deliver" to GWB?

Yup.

CavVet, you know what I am saying with some of your folks being in Dayton.

The reality is that the GOP in Ohio has gotten so far flung and dirty, that locally, there's revolt everywhere. It's less about the Bush/Kerry race and more about people being sick of the shenanigans on a local and state level. People are telling the GOP to go fuck themselves, and it's going to cost Bush the State of Ohio.

Bob Bennett and Larry Householder, the two top GOP dogs in the state, both need their asses chucked into Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Forget about Taft? Republican? What a joke. We have been invaded by liberals in Ohio. Anti gun first, probably pro homosexual marriage.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Forget about Taft? Republican? What a joke. We have been invaded by liberals in Ohio. Anti gun first, probably pro homosexual marriage.

It's coming. There's a lot of momentum from the Cincinnati crew over it.

Overall, people really should pay attention to what is going on in Ohio. Bush has been here 26 times so far this campaign. His biggest financial base across the entire nation is Hamilton County. I really do believe that what happens here in Ohio will absolutely determine the outcome of the entire election. It will be on such a scale that it will make Florida look like a minor administrative error.

If the State Supreme Court is forced to rule on the Libertarian lawsuit, they will likely have to decide in favor of the LP with the case law precedent in existence. That could call into question the validity of the entire Ohio vote if it is ruled inadmissable.

Why do you think Blackwell is trying so hard to block 3rd party access and change the voter registration rules?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]
What will be interesting is to see the outcome if Boards of Elections in major population centers like Cuyahoga, Hamilton, Montgomery, Franklin, etc...  tell Blackwell to shove it because they don't have the resources or the time to get everyone on the new card before the registration cut-off at 9pm on October 4th.

Lawsuit city.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn liberals will do ANYTHING to win...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

CavVet, you know what I am saying with some of your folks being in Dayton.

The reality is that the GOP in Ohio has gotten so far flung and dirty, that locally, there's revolt everywhere. It's less about the Bush/Kerry race and more about people being sick of the shenanigans on a local and state level. People are telling the GOP to go fuck themselves, and it's going to cost Bush the State of Ohio.

Bob Bennett and Larry Householder, the two top GOP dogs in the state, both need their asses chucked into Michigan.

Whoa! We have enough problems here as it is. We don't need anymore!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]

I hear it was to prevent the black vote from helping Kerry ???

Just what I heard at the court house.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Does this mean everyone has to re-register or is this just for new ones? I have been registered for years. I agree that new registers should be double checked to insure they are legit and not faked. I hope anyone caught faking these are sent off to prison for a few years and get a large fine also. With so much at stake with the election, this is a serous crime (to me anyway).
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I understand where Blackwell is coming form, I think...
The Unions copy off 500 registration cards, hand them out to members, and fill them out fraudulently.
He is likely hoping to put a stop to that tactic.
But I agree, it doesn't seem too likely to stand up in court.
I am guessing he is feeling ovewhelmed?
What alternative could he have?
Could he force the registration list be reviewed with name/address/felony info verified?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Unions copy off 500 registration cards, hand them out to members, and fill them out fraudulently.
Could he force the registration list be reviewed with name/address/felony info verified?

If that's true the union bosses and members caught voting fraudulently should he publicly hung and or shot!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ben:

I think it has alot to do with the massive voter registration fraud that was recently uncovered in Summit and Lake counties.  The dem organizations were registering dead people and incapacitated nursing home residents.  Whole city blocks " applied " for absentee ballots.  Kerry was trying voter fraud on a massive scale.  Agreed, it is a big deal.

Shotar's got it right. I met Blackwell at a Rotary luncheon a few months ago. In my opinion, he's a pretty bright guy and takes his job pretty seriously.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
With recent reports of voter registration in Franklin county exceeding the actual population in Frankiln county, perhaps some new standards are warranted.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's true the union bosses and members caught voting fraudulently should he publicly hung and or shot!

I was generalizing.  But it is based in truth.  What DID happen, last month, was 50 registration cards were turned in with 50 different names, with the same address on every one. The County Board of Elections asked for an investigation, but the Union says there is no way to know who did it, because so many people turn in registration cards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
There is no way that this pig fucking cock sucker should be allowed to get away with this! Today is THE last day to register to vote! How many MILLIONS of buckeyes did this left wing radical just disenfranchise to Kerry's benefit?

These liberals are destroying our country through their decietfulness and disregard for order! If the rules do not fit the liberal agenda, then the liberals simply change the rules so that they do fit their agenda. That's what they tried to do in Florida, that is what they are doing now, and it is complete bullshit!

THEY CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO GET AWAY WITH THIS!

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There is no way that this pig fucking cock sucker should be allowed to get away with this! Today is THE last day to register to vote! How many MILLIONS of buckeyes did this left wing radical just disenfranchise to Kerry's benefit?

These liberals are destroying our country through their decietfulness and disregard for order! If the rules do not fit the liberal agenda, then the liberals simply change the rules so that they do fit their agenda. That's what they tried to do in Florida, that is what they are doing now, and it is complete bullshit!

Sec of State Blackwell is a strong Conservative Republican.
He is dealing with an influx of highly suspect voter registration cards.
I don't know what is the correct answer, but I believe his intent is good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sec of State Blackwell is a strong Conservative Republican.
He is dealing with an influx of highly suspect voter registration cards.
I don't know what is the correct answer, but I believe his intent is good.

Either way, playing fast and loose with the rules is just going to turn this into another Florida! He is basically inviting another Supreme Court challenge to this election.

Ohio has been shaping up as the most important state in this election for a while and the race has been in a statistical deadheat all along. Both cantidates MUST win Ohio. It's obviously bringing out the worst in people.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently you did not read the whole thread.

OK, so he's a republican. He's also inviting another drawn out court battle, and if Bush wins we'll have 4 more years of "selected not elected" from the left.

There have to be other ways to deal with voter fraud than disqualify everyone who doesn't have the proper type of card on the last day of registration.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
A local media station out of Toledo inquired into this and received a statement from Secretary of State Blackwell's rep.

The rep. said that all voter registrations that are not fraudulent, will be considered credible weather they are printed on #80 paper or not.

He went on to say that the reason the statement was first made was that Mr. Blackwell was concerned with voter registration fraud, and he wanted a system set in place where the state reps could monitor voter fraud issues without having to go out of their jurisdiction. - Other than the state level.

To prevent a cluster fuck like what happened in Florida the weeks after Nov. 2, '00.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Does that mean that the form I filled out at the library won't be taken???
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]
It was my understanding that the County Boards of Elections were sending out new cards in advance to voters whose registrations didn't meet the requirements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top