Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2004 8:06:19 PM EDT
I just wanted to pass on this to you fellas.  I don't claim to know the origin or authenticity but I'm not addicted to te bucks and don't plan on ever giving them my hard earned U.S. dollars.

Subject: NO MORE STARBUCKS FOR ME

WHOA, there!!!!!!!  That's really hard to believe!  I can live without Starbucks, starting today!

Please pass this along to anyone you know, this needs to get out in the open.

Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in OIF wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffee and try to score some free coffee grounds. Starbucks wrote back telling the Marines thanks for their support in their business, but that they don't support the War and anyone in it and that they won't send them the Coffee.

So as not to offend them we should not support in buying any Starbucks products. As a War vet and writing to you patriots I feel we should get this out in the open. I know th! is War might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground fighting street to street and house to house for what they and I believe is right. If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it and I'll never know.

Thanks very much for your support to me, and I know you'll all be there again here soon when I deploy once more.

Semper Fidelis,

Sgt Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
not sure if this was true...

could be people are pissed off about the 9/11/130 dollar water thing and made this up.

smells bad to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Havent been to one since 2001, and keeping it that way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never seen  a Starbucks in Ohio. They are concentrated in certain areas. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember seeing a Starbucks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
F#ck starbuck's. If I want to go to a coffee house, I go to a locally-owned one, so I spend my money with people who live where I live. Ditto for hardware, guns & ammo (+90% of the time), clothes, shoes, et c., et c.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't drink Starbuck because it tastes like burnt coffee to me, but I can't believe that' true.

I call BS.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a Starbucks PR chick spokesperson, I'll fwd the memo and have an answer shortly..

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Its on the internet so it must be true....

Coffee Rumor

Snopes

Dear Readers,

Almost 5 months ago I sent an e-mail to you my faithful friends. I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all. I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have. This is not true. Starbucks supports men and women in uniform. They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue. So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.

Now I ask that you all pass this email around to everyone you passed the last one to. Thank you very much for understanding about this.

Howard C. Wright
Sgt USMC
1st Force Rcon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The hated forwarded email.  Do these things EVER turn out to be true?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Their coffee tastes like shit, fucking instant coffee tastes better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel creepy just going in there. Like I'm not set up for this type of crowd. The crowd in there is definitely not my cup of tea(pun intended).
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I call BS. I can't see them sending off a letter like that. I don't like starbucks myself, it's overpriced liberal coffee. They got $8.50 from me for two large coffees about seven years ago and I never stepped foot in there again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Dunkin Donut coffee is much better.  Just cream and sugar none of that fancy euro shit.  Good old lard with that coffee too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate coffee anyways and don't drink it, plus on the other hand you know they are supporting Skerry also, but thats a given you think.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats funny, my local starbucks gives me all kinds of free coffee, and asks me to hang out there open carrying late at nite.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Send the Marines to Peet's Coffee
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Starbucks for some reason gives me the shits. I like "Coffee Bean or Deitrich's better"
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have also heard that a NYC Starbucks refused to serve water to FDNY and NYPD on Sept. 11, 2001 without them paying $1 for it.  I was never able to confirm this, but I did hear about it the same week of the attacks.  I have throughly boycotted them ever since!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to send a letter to Dodge, telling them how much I love their trucks.. maybe they'll give me one
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm going to send a letter to Dodge, telling them how much I love their trucks.. maybe they'll give me one

Maybe we should all email COLT going on about how great their rifles are and how they should give them to us 'regular' people for free so they can continue to sell to just .gov and .mil
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#25]
All of us at Camp Doha in Kuwait certainly enjoyed the Starbucks we had there, although it was definitely more expensive than back here in the States.  It was still nice to get a Frappachino and have a little taste of home in the desert.

This definitely sounds like someone spreading a rumor - I can certainly see them declining to send free coffee to a bunch of guys in Iraq that wrote them asking for freebees.  We got lots of free stuff over there - phone cards, cookies, Christmas cards, etc - but there's a difference between people donating that, and servicemen actually writing and asking for free stuff.  I think sometimes guys think that because one person or company donated a bunch of stuff for the troops, everyone must be willing to do that.  I really appreciate the stuff that people sent us while I was over there, but I don't like the idea of actually asking someone for free stuff.  Just my opinion...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Starbucks

Thank You for the info.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:25:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Their coffee sucks ass anyway. Burger King has MUCh better coffee.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Starbucks wrote back telling the Marines thanks for their support in their business, but that they don't support the War and anyone in it and that they won't send them the Coffee.
That is why I .love this country --
you can have a different opinion -- and not be lined up against a wall and shot or beheaded by a bunch of goons.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thats funny, my local starbucks gives me all kinds of free coffee, and asks me to hang out there open carrying late at nite.  

+1

I haven't paid for a damn thing at a Starby's in three years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:12:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#31]
"What is Starbuckin anyway?"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The hated forwarded email. Do these things EVER turn out to be true?

sure they do! i just got my $42 million from nigeria! woohoo!

You got $42 million?  Bastards only gave me $15 million!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
All of us at Camp Doha in Kuwait certainly enjoyed the Starbucks we had there, although it was definitely more expensive than back here in the States.  It was still nice to get a Frappachino and have a little taste of home in the desert.

This definitely sounds like someone spreading a rumor - I can certainly see them declining to send free coffee to a bunch of guys in Iraq that wrote them asking for freebees.  We got lots of free stuff over there - phone cards, cookies, Christmas cards, etc - but there's a difference between people donating that, and servicemen actually writing and asking for free stuff.  I think sometimes guys think that because one person or company donated a bunch of stuff for the troops, everyone must be willing to do that.  I really appreciate the stuff that people sent us while I was over there, but I don't like the idea of actually asking someone for free stuff.  Just my opinion...
Dave

Most companies love the free and positive press/publicity/advertisement when a soldier gets some their freebies. The troops write home saying how awesome a company is for sending them free stuff and before you know it word of mouth has gotten them a few more buyers of their product because of their "support the troops" policy. I think there is usually a better response when it's the family members writing the company asking for freebies to include in a care package to their husbands in Iraq. It worked well for the FSG in my unit when we were in the Stan.

Also... on Starbucks response. I was going to say the same thing about Kuwait because my wife was having Starbucks down range when she went. So if they don't support the war they sure have a funny way of showing it by opening up shop in a combat zone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Dunkin Donut coffee is much better.

+1

Drinking homemade DD as I type.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Recently Marines over in Iraq supporting this country in OIF wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffee and try to score some free coffee grounds.  

Well last time I checked, business aren't owned by the government and charged with providing FREE product to the Citizens.

Some people need to read Atlas Shrugged
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#36]
-1 on nasty Starbucks coffee.

+1 on good Dunkin' Donuts coffee and Einstein's Bros coffee.

-1 liberal panty-waisted limp-wristed overpriced coffee shops chains based in the PNW that put good mom and pop shops out of business. Piss on 'em.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#37]
During 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attacks, the local Starbucks charged the NY fireman for the bottled water for the burn victims. They later looked real bad in the eyes of the public, so they gave away a lot of coffee for free for people working at the WTC, and the CEO claimed they reimbursed the fireman for the costs of the water. Gives a new meaning to the saying "a day late, and a dollar short."
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
During 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attacks, the local Starbucks charged the NY fireman for the bottled water for the burn victims. They later looked real bad in the eyes of the public, so they gave away a lot of coffee for free for people working at the WTC, and the CEO claimed they reimbursed the fireman for the costs of the water. Gives a new meaning to the saying "a day late, and a dollar short."

I don't hold a whole corporation responsible for the actions of one assclown employee in a situation that probably wasn't covered in their training manual.  "In the event of a national emergency, hand out free stuff to emergency workers."

Anyone follow up to see if the manager of that store was scolded or terminated (probably unlikely) for this incident?  I didn't think so...

Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like an urban legend but Starbucks over-roast their beans anyways, so too bad for them.  I buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#40]
On a side note... I don't drink coffee... although I have had a frappacino from the Bucks a couple times when I was in FL and it spun me up like a freakin amusement park ride... The did have the best dernded marble cake I've had in ages though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I still like Frappuchinos.  

I find it hard to believe that ye olde corporate PR department would ever allow a statement such as 'We don't support the war and anyone in it'.

For regular coffee, DD is hard to beat, and also less then 100 yards away from the house.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#42]
got my reply from Starbucks..
Dear Mr. Sixguns,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Starbucks regarding coffee donations to those serving in our armed forces.

Starbucks has the deepest respect and admiration for U.S. military personnel. We are extremely grateful to the men and women who serve stateside or overseas. We sincerely appreciate that they are willing to risk their lives to protect Americans and our values of freedom and democracy. While Starbucks as a company cannot directly donate to military personnel, many of our partners (employees) show their support by donating coffee.

Recently, there was an e-mail circulating the internet that contained misinformation about Starbucks and our support of the military.  Starbucks was able to locate the author who turned out to be a Marine Sergeant.  He was very grateful that we contacted him and apologized for any misunderstanding, as he did not intend to spread the rumor. He subsequently sent an e-mail to his original distribution list correcting his mistake, which I've included at the end of this letter.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify Starbucks policy regarding charitable contributions. We are able to donate to nonprofit organizations that are designated as public charities under Section 501(c) (3) of the IRS Code, including public libraries and schools. The U.S. military or individual military personnel do not qualify as a public charity. Additionally confirmation that this is a rumor can be found at http://www.boycottwatch.org/misc/starbucks2.htm.  

However, on an individual level, many Starbucks partners have collected and shipped numerous pounds of Starbucks coffee overseas.  Starbucks partners receive one pound of free coffee each week as an employee benefit (known as "partner mark-out"). Many of our partners have elected to send their weekly mark-out of coffee to members of the military or military families, and related organizations.

As an example of this generosity, our partners in our Atascadero, California store sent their weekly mark out coffee to troops in Afghanistan so they are able to enjoy a little piece of home. Our customer relations department in Seattle donated hundreds of pounds of coffee to the sailors in the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier group. These are just a few examples of our partners supporting the troops. We recognize and appreciate the very personal connection that customers have with us and how they might miss their Starbucks Experience while overseas.

Thank you again for writing and ask you to accept our deepest appreciation to servicemen and women and hope you remain a valued Starbucks customer. If you have any additional feedback or would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact us at (800) 235-2883 or email us at [email protected].

Sincerely,  

Jason Wilcox

Starbucks Coffee Company

Text of Sgt. Wright's Email:

Dear Readers,

Almost 5 months ago I sent an e-mail to you my faithful friends.  I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all.  I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have.  This is not true.  Starbucks supports men and women in uniform.  They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue.  So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.

Now I ask that you all pass this email around to everyone you passed the last one to.  Thank you very much for understanding about this.

Howard C. Wright
Sgt USMC
1st Force Rcon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Dave

How is old Camp Doha? Man I hated that place no one to kill when you get there and when you leave from there you want to kill the crying wimps who talk about how hard they have there. Well I'll be back there in a few months maybe I'll see you there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#44]
never had a starbucks product, EVER
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My late Grandmother did that once.  She got a nicely worded letter back that basicly said, "Nice try, but NO!"

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Not true...but Starbucks still sucks.   Trust me, the company is run by libs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Dupity dupe dupe dupe........
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, Ive heard both of these stories, Starbucks was asked for water during 9/11 and they refused to give it freely. I no longer support them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#50]
This is Bullshit and nothing else.

One of my troops is a Starbucks manager. and a Guardsman. On 9/12/2001 we mobilized him along with all of our guardsmen after our country was attacked.

Starbucks had never had an employee mobilized before. They were completely ignorant of the laws regarding the call-up, but yet supported him 100%.

BTW he's still on active duty voluntarily serving his country today and doesn't have to worry if he'll have a job when he returns. They also fully supported him once the mandatory call up period was over and he decided to stay on. They didn't have to.

Where do you really think this crap comes from? Think about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top