Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2001 6:38:01 AM EDT
Think they should? How many times have you been at work, left to tote the load while you co-worker goes to burn one? How much productive  time is lost due to nic-fits. What do you think?
[smoke] ......not!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been on both sides... taking smoke breaks and also not smoking.  I hear you on the lost production side [i]but[/i]....

where I work now some people will take non-smoking smoking breaks.  And, quite frankly, some of the smokers are more productive when they are working than the non-smokers are all day.  [):)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
my old boss used to go for a 15 min smoke break AT LEAST every hour-AND it was a union job-which means absolutley NO work ever got done.  she also gave me shit for being 5-10 min late in snow storm.  Told her to fly a kite with a hole in it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
When I worked at a major phone company before they instituted a no smoking policy, the smokers never took any breaks.  In fact their was a national study done that showed that smokers tended to be more productive than non-smokers.  The lost time came in when politically correct non-smokers whined and got the policy installed.  So stop your PC whining.  I also don't believe that the tobacco companies should have lost these lawsuits.  No one forced me to smoke.  I made a choice, maybe a bad one, but MY CHOICE.  Anyone who says the tobacco companies lied to them is just using the PC 'I'm not responsible' argument.  Back in the 50's when I was a kid, we called them 'coffin nails' and 'cancer sticks', so they were known to be bad for you.  You sound like a liberal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Go look it up, Boland.  Can't remember who, but it was some well known group back in the 70's.  I am lighting one up right now for you.  I see non-smokers take just as many breaks and many times more long lunches.  Stop your whining.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The weight I gained when I stopped smoking made me tired and lazy, so my company lost on both accounts. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I work with stellar example of both smokers and nons. I don't f**k with them for takin' a smoke break, they don't f**k with me for reading the want ads, searching for guns.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
GO LARRY!!
Damn straight. If it wasn't for the "No Smoking" laws, smokers wouldn't be artifically handicapped in the work place.
I worked in a place where you could smoke at your desk, and smoking didn't impact my productivity. I got a lot more done there than places where I had to step outside to smoke.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Smoking or not smoking doesn't make a difference. A productive employee is just that, whether they smoke or not. I know I got a bunch of non-smokers around here that take plenty of breaks as well and they just stare at the paper or feed their face or just go into a coma at their desk. I'm one of the few smokers here and I can tell you that I'm the most productive (and knowledgeable) employee in my department. My boss could care less if I take a 5 min smoke break every couple hours as everyone has a 15 min break every 2 hours anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Plus smokers die sooner, so we are paying into your Social Security that we won't use.
Actually some people totally abuse smoke breaks. I was never phyically addicted so I just wait until my drive home, or lunch break.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
They tell me to [smoke] take my smoke breaks [smoke] because they are [smoke] afraid I'll go Postal [smoke] if I miss out on one. [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Of course smokers are more productive.  They have 5 times MORE breaks than I get, and get to do their drugs while at work, while on break.
Let me take 14 breaks a day where I can sit-back and drink a BEER and talk with friends for 10-20 minutes.  HELL I'd be happier and more productive TOO.  Couldn't drive home after the day was done, but I'd be happier...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the job. If you're making rat traps or something (production) and assuming all people work at the same speed (they don't) then the person taking less breaks will be more productive. But in a job such as mine (I run the computer department in a financial orginization) a smoke break doesn't make any difference as most of my time is spent thinking about stuff and I can think about stuff as I smoke. I have 3 people under me, 1 smokes the rest don't. The smoker is my best employee.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#16]
In some jobs, I don't think it matters.  There are alot of non-smokers sitting at their work computer surfing ar15.com instead of doing work.   [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
HEY!

This might be news to you . . . Passive smoke is carcinogenic. That means it causes cancer. It's also toxic. That means it will kill you.

Besides that, it STINKS.

We don't need no stinkin' smoke in the workplace. Work sinks enough without it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#19]
You know what guys, If I want to kill myself with smokes then let me do it in peace. Those of you bitching about smokers are doing the same think the libs do about guns. You may not like it, but I enjoy it. As long as I do not do it where you have to smell it (and by that, I do not mean making me walk across the street) you should mind your own business. I pay my share of taxes. If I get cancer, I will take care of myself. I would much rather my tax money go to support a guy who smoked and got cancer, than a 24 year old crackhead mother with 14 kids. The double standards here sometimes amaze me.

Why do I smoke...?  If that's the way it is... "Why do you own an evil assault rifle?" get the picture? You complain about libs wanting to take away your guns, and at the same time are helping take away my right to smoke anywhere but outside the city limits. Give me a freaking break.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Edited because I am mad as hell and made a lot of typos
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, that's what I thought. No more posts in here huh?

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I noticed that above all in the Army (German Army). The sergeant and the other smoking soldiers in my group made a break to burn one and the non-smoking guys (me included) had to do some work ... it really sucked!

And I hate to work in the office with someone who smokes the whole day. But if it’s your superior you don’t have a great chance to do something against ... times will change!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Go look it up, Boland.  Can't remember who, but it was some well known group back in the 70's.  I am lighting one up right now for you.  I see non-smokers take just as many breaks and many times more long lunches.  Stop your whining.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I remember THAT GROUP.  That's what someone says when they don't have the facts.  It's always, "You know, that study they did."

Not only are smokers less productive, but after a full life of working, the average smoker has 8 years more break time than the average non smoker.  Hey smoke all you want, but don't make up stories about it.

I won't hire a smoker.  Hired one once, and every hour he was out taking a break, at least once or twice a day it put a crimp in my schedule, so never again will I hire a smoker.  Period.

Hey, I'm against the lawsuits, but you know what, smokers ON AVERAGE are less considerate than non smokers.  Why is it whenever I'm outside and someone comes out to smoke to they light up UPWIND of me?  Because it doesn't bother them, why should they care?  Because they are INCONSIDERATE.  

It blows my mind that smoking is allowed in any public building.  What a joke.

Every day I see some nic-head throw their butt out their window.  Hey, put it in your ashtray.  When they go into buildings, toss the butt on the sidewalk.  Why do you get to litter?

Hey Larry G. if you are going into the mall and there is no ashtray, do you put your butt in your pocket or just throw it on the sidewalk?
I thought so.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#23]
SMOKE THIS!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I no longer smoke, and you are full of shit, I smoked for 16 years, the butts went in my pocket. I am just a little pissed so will quit now.
Rew
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, they went into YOUR pocket.  So how do we explain the 149,000 butts at every freeway offramp?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Ticonderoga, you definitely sound like a liberal.  Whine, whine, whine.  First, I can't remember the name of the group, it was 15 years ago.  It was done and even posted at work.  I love the way you answer your own questions {I thought so).  If I am walking into a mall and there is no ashtray, I will walk back to the street and throw it down a sewer grate.  Talk about inconsiderate, consider this.  Several times non-smokers will ask for first available seating in a restaurant.  It happens to be in smoking and they will have the gall to ask people not to smoke around them.  'It's the smoking section you jerk' is usually the response they get from several people.  I actually had a guy walk up to the bar, where I was awaiting a drink, in a smoke filled nightclub and demand that I put out my cigarette.  I looked around at the smoke filled room and told him to FO.  A bar is where many people smoke and if you don't want to be subject to it, don't come in.  I try to be considerate of non-smokers, but when I get flak from some whiny liberal, which is what you sound like, I lose that consideration.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Into the stormdrain.  That's just great.  And those go magically where?  Next time I'm boating and I look at all the trash I'll remember your words.

If we had someone move here from another country and that person wanted to take a shit wherever they wanted should they be allowed to shit in a resturaunt?

Smoking causes cancer.  Oh that's right, you don't care about your health, why should you care about anyone else's?

Hey, smoke all you want, just don't do it around me.  If a resturaunt has smoking/non-smoking ON SEPERATE VENTILATION SYSTEMS, fine by me.  If not, I support a ban on smoking in ANY PUBLIC BUILDING.  It's a health hazard.

Give me one good reason why I should subject myself to cancer to satisfy your craving?  

We don't allow AR15 target shooting across a busy freeway, even if you are a good shot.  Why?  Someone somewhere eventually will get shot.  Smoking works the same way.  Someone somewhere will get cancer.  Smoke 'em while you got 'em, just not next to me please.

BTW, calling me a "whiney liberal" is not helping your arguement in the slightest.  Try to stick to the facts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Over the years i've noticed that I like people that smoke better than people that don't smoke.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The demonization of society.
Let me tell you where I stand, I currently smoke 3 or 4 cigars a week. Every now and then I will smoke a few cigarettes.
I find it appalling how people just demonize smokers.
First, a lot of smokers are just plainly addicted and weak willed. But heroin addicts like Robert Downey Jr. are given more passes.

Secondhand smoke; one of my anti smoking friends hates the second hand smoke, is convinced it will kill him, but the he runs downtown during lunch. Does he think the diesel exhaust and asbestos dust is good for him?

Thirdly: I think many of you anti-smokers have been totally brainwashed by the left. Think about it, do you really believe smoking is one of the top 3 problems in America currently? Top 10 problem?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Ticonderoga-- "smoking causes cancer" Uhmmm, George Burns smoked for almost 100 years, cigars no less, I don't think he died of cancer. My aunt died of cancer, never smoked a day in her life.

I think soon we will see a study done that indicates "coffee causes cancer". I don't drink coffee. But think of all those Starbuck drinking, NY times reading demos we'd  get rid of.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
But that is the subject.  You do sound like a whiney liberal.  

'Hey, smoke all you want, just don't do it around me. If a resturaunt has smoking/non-smoking ON SEPERATE VENTILATION SYSTEMS, fine by me. If not, I support a ban on smoking in ANY PUBLIC BUILDING. It's a health hazard'

sounds an awful lot like an anti talking about guns, like 'if you are a cop, fine by me if you own a gun, otherwise, no way.  I support a BAN on guns if you are not a cop.  They are a health hazard'.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
you know what Larry?  Grow up.  Can't you DEBATE without name calling.  I've said "in my opinion" smokers are less considerate.  But not once have I started name calling.  I could go on with a few of my own about you, but let's try to stick to a debate without acting like jr high schoolers, that seems so rare on this board lately.

Yes, society has demonized smoking.  If for anything, I really HATE the way my clothes smell after I've been around smoking.  Why should I have to suffer through that becuase someone else is too self centered or too lazy to go outside?  I shouldn't have to.  That has nothing to do with guns.

Now trying to outlaw, tax, and control cigarettes, that's just like gun control.  You are comparing apples and oranges.  I'm not saying ban guns, I'm not saying ban smoking.
I'm saying don't smoke in the mall, and don't target practice there either.

You provide a perfect example of a smoker showing little consideration for others when you toss your butts into the storm drain.  Sarcasm aside, and please answer this, where do you think that they go?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#33]
It is the lesser of the evils to toss it in the drain.  It is better than tossing it on the sidewalk.  If a building has a no smoking policy, they should provide some type of disposal container near the door or even out on the sidewalk.  I am not being inconsiderate.  I try to be considerate until someone becomes belligerent about the issue.

And you did use the word BAN.  I am not name calling, just telling you how it sounds.  Everything I have said about trying to be considerate you have turned around.  Just like gun owners being some of the most polite people around, I find that most smokers go out of their way to be considerate on this issue.  Maybe you come across as hostile to smokers and they respond in kind.  That may not be true, but think about it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Larry, maybe you are the one shining light in the smoking community, but the vast majority of smokers don't even realize that they are offending anyone.  When presented with this reality, even when done politely, often turns into FO as you put it.

Sorry, but the drain is not the lesser of evils, the lesser of evils is to put it in your pocket and take put it in the trash later.  The "I littered because there was no trash can" holds as much water as "I stole it because they didn't lock it down."  Now who is sounding like the liberal? [:)]

nice upper BTW
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
so much hate and discontent...  BTW, Powderburns, got a reference for that study that "proves" that second-hand smoke causes cancer?
View Quote

Please, check around before you make ridiculous remarks.  If I go to yahoo.com and do a search on Waco, I'll find pro and con that the feds did it.

Pull up global warming.  You'll find controversy.

I can type in gun controll and find sites that say owning a gun will make you more likely to be killed and another that says less likely.

Go to any search engine, and look for WEEKS and find me a doctor or health group that says that second hand smoke DOESN'T cause cancer.  It's a well known and established fact.  There is no controversy over smoking and second hand smoke causing cancer.  I just did a yahoo search on "second hand smoke" and every single hit says so.  

Every doctor on the subject, every PHD, every expert, they all say so.

Please, do some research before you speak.

"...Children who are exposed to smoke have more ear infections, asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis and a respiratory virus called RSV, and they have these infections more frequently than children of non-smokers. Children exposed to smoke have lower lung capacity and slower lung development than the unexposed children.

Over the long term, these kids are also at increased risk of developing lung cancer and other conditions associated with smoking..."

"... Executive Summary

Active smoking has been recognized as a major cause of disease and death for at least 40 years. But in the past 20 years a growing body of evidence has shown that exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS)—in other words, second hand smoking—may also be a threat to health.

Scientists have documented the presence of some of the toxic and carcinogenic components of environmental tobacco smoke in the hair and body fluids of nonsmokers exposed to tobacco smoke, and an extensive database on the health effects of ETS now exists. Numerous epidemiological studies have examined the associations between ETS exposure and acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) health effects. But debates still continue about the validity of the scientific methods used to establish causality for chronic diseases—lung cancer and cardiovascular disease, for example—reported in nonsmokers living or working with smokers. Study limitations and sometimes-equivocal results have led many observers to question whether the health risks that the studies have shown to be associated with environmental tobacco smoke are, indeed, real..."

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I support a ban on smoking in ANY PUBLIC BUILDING.  It's a health hazard.
View Quote

And Liberals support bans on a lot of guns... because they are a health hazard. Give me a break. You anti-smoking nazis drive me nuts.

I also stick the buts in my pocket. I would imagine you would bitch because they smell then. I am considerate. I do not smoke in non-smokers homes or cars, even if they say it is OK. Yes, there are people who smoke who are rude and do stupid things. There are people with guns who do stupid things that are wrong. That means you support ban on all guns?

"Smoke em if ya got em"
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Larry, maybe you are the one shining light in the smoking community, but the vast majority of smokers don't even realize that they are offending anyone.  When presented with this reality, even when done politely, often turns into FO as you put it.
View Quote

That may be because we are getting pretty sick of being treated like 2nd class citizens. Example.. I drive a jeep. Had the top off last week and pulled up to a stop light. i was smoking. The old broad in the car next to me looked at me like I had just asked her for a blow job. No words, she just rolled the window of her car up and glared at me. Thats a little overboard I think, and it happens ALL the time.

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, so you had the top down.  But why is it that so many smokers will roll their window down when they smoke?  I think it's because they don't want their car to smell like cigarettes.  Ok, if they don't want to smell like it, why should I?

I see what you are saying, I think the woman was way off.  But realize this, I'll be driving down the freeway at 70mph and I'll smell nicotine.  I'll ask the wife, "you smell that?"  She sure does.  I hit the recycle button on the A/C, no big deal.  Sure enough, within a 100 yards or so I come past someone smoking with their window down.  

If they like the smoke so much, why not leave the window up?  I don't care either way, but I think it's a bit hypocritcal to complain when others don't like the smell and then smoke with the window down because you don't like the smell.

You know, this is like so many other things in life, if folks just paid more attention to others, people wouldn't get pissed on.  But in my experience, and I try to keep an open mind on smoke, smokers are less considerate of their habit than they should be.

One last thing aviator, compare your story with the jeep to mine.  I go on a cruise and fork over $5k, or go to a hotel and spend a hundred bucks.  I'm in a non smoking room, but smoking is allowed down the hall, in the lobby, or in the hallway.  The A/c blows all night and in the morning I wake up with red eyes, a sore throat, and clothes that smell like a bar.  Who is more inconvenienced, you getting a dirty look, or me smelling like an ashtray?  I had a smoke tell me, "Why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke in my hotel room?"  Uh, because smoke doesn't mind the smoking area signs.

Some perspective perhaps.  Maybe that lady just got out of nicotine hotel, or just finished a nicotine cruise.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I think you have an oversensitive nose. 70 mph on the interstate and you claim you can smell smoke? I'll bet there are a lot of people out there who really hate the smell of gunsmoke. Damn inconsiderate shooters. Wait, and cow manure.. ban cows!

If you smoke in your car it WILL smell like smoke, even if the window is down. I always drive with my window down. Often in winter also. Its because I like my arm hanging out the door personally.

I am done with this topic. Getting pissed.

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think you have an oversensitive nose. 70 mph on the interstate and you claim you can smell smoke? I'll bet there are a lot of people out there who really hate the smell of gunsmoke. Damn inconsiderate shooters. Wait, and cow manure.. ban cows!

View Quote

Here we go with the apples and oranges again.  They don't allow shooting in hotels, on cruise ships, or in resturaunts, nor do they allow cows.  And since when did cow manure kill people?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Actually, they do allow shooting on cruise ships. They shoot skeet on the fantail of some. And you are saying you never smell cow manure while driving? No, cow manure will not kill you (yet) nor will the little wisp of smoke you may somehow manage to get a whiff of at 70mph. There are PLENTY of places to eat that DO NOT ALLOW SMOKING. Go to one of those if you like. Just do not come where I am eating ( in a smoking place) then ask me to not smoke. Thats the same as me going into your non smoking joint and lighting up.

Now, I am finished.

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#43]
If it weren't for smokers and fat people, who would be left to ostracize?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If it weren't for smokers and fat people, who would be left to ostracize?
View Quote

McUzi?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#45]
What is it with the fat jokes the last day or two? I like to be ostracized, thanks. One day when you are down...I promise to kick you back.
Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Actually, they do allow shooting on cruise ships. They shoot skeet on the fantail of some. And you are saying you never smell cow manure while driving? No, cow manure will not kill you (yet) nor will the little wisp of smoke you may somehow manage to get a whiff of at 70mph. There are PLENTY of places to eat that DO NOT ALLOW SMOKING. Go to one of those if you like. Just do not come where I am eating ( in a smoking place) then ask me to not smoke. Thats the same as me going into your non smoking joint and lighting up.

Now, I am finished.

View Quote

Uh, sorry, but no they don't.  You obviously haven't been on a cruise since 1974.  Skeet shooting is not allowed on cruise ships.  That was a TV show, and while the Love Boat is still sailing around the Med, even it doesn't allow guns.

As for me not coming into YOUR smoking joint and ask you to stop smoking, hey looks like we can agree there.  A smoking and non smoking section, but please on seperate ventillation systems.  Simply making 1/2 the seats in a resturaunt non smoking tables hardly qualifies as a non smoking section.  I do remember the law of diffusion even if it has been some years since chemistry.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Phrigid:"Mind if I smoke?"
Steve Martin:"No, mind if I fart?"
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#49]
What a bunch of f*cking crybabies! Who cares who does what? I don't care if somebody wants to take a 5hr smokebreak or if they want to go to lunch for 3.5hrs. I just do my job and mind my own damn business. Is it that hard not to worry about what everybody else is doing? If you have to cover somebodies work while they are gone then do it for however long they are supposed to be gone and then quit. If you get questioned about why you didn't cover for the whole time they were gone say, "Well, I covered them on lunch for 1hr 15min and I figured they would be back soon and I really had to go to the bathroom so...".

From the way a bunch of yall b*tch I would think you are still in elementary....
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Methinks many people are [b]far[/b] too easily offended/annoyed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top