Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like a prewar luger.
IIRC it might be in 7.65 Luger. . .
Dunno much more than that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm NOT a Luger expert, but......
You have a DWM (Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabrik) made "Luger", made in 1911.
DWM was the original maker of Lugers, and loosely translated, DWM is "German Arms and Munition Factory".

The serial number is 7633, and the "33" stamped on the parts is the last two numbers of the serial, indicating a matching gun.

From the pictures, I can't ID the exact model, or caliber.

The little tool is a standard tool always issued with the gun.  This is used to load the magazine by putting the hole over the magazine follower, and using the tool to pull it down.
The tool is also used to disassemble the gun.

The holster is a later issue indicated by the date.

The magazines are later issue, since they have aluminum bottoms.  Period mags were wood.

Depending on the model, and condition, this COULD be worth some real money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The first thing I would advise is to not store the Luger in the holster as that can cause it to rust. I would take the pistol to a gunsmith to have him break it down and clean it properly. Luger disassembly/re-asessembly is not for the novice.

The markings  DWM = Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken (Geramn weapon and munitions works).

The name & on the holster, Franz Cobau Berlin 1935, is the manufacturer of the hoslter. They also made other miltary equipment. I am only guessing that the 1935 is the date the holdter was made.

Luger pistols came in a couple of differnt calibers (7.65 also known as .30 cal Liger and .9mm parabellum) and that should be stamped somewhere on the frame or barrel. Germans were fanatics about numbering everything, so check the pistol closely as all of the parts should have the same matching serial number (This includes magazines and holsters).

For the proof marks, take a look at this link:

www.collectorsfirearms.com/book-proof-marks.jpg

That little tool found in the holster is a combo magazine loading tool and  screwdriver.

I am no expert on Lugers, but I would guess that this is a later model as the "Buttons" on the bottom of the magazine are metal and not wood like the earlier versions. Also, I believe that the toggle "Buttons" are flat and not scalloped or dished like the earlier ones were.

As for the value, that depends on many factors: condition of the pistol, matching serial numbers, when it was made and by who, and also any markings on the gun. Guns America had them listed  from $750 to several thousand dollars. There are many Luger collectors out there that could give you more info on this gun if they had the serial number and more pics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Let us know what you find out though or give us the link when you make a thread to the Luger forums.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#8]
tagged, have one that has been passed down.  It is a DWM 30 Luger in the 11XX and all matching parts.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]
As I recall (and my memory might be spotty; my father's the real luger guy in the family), matching lugers aren't a huge deal. It's getting a matching holster (assuming you can find one) and the real piece is the matching magazine that really makes them worth money. Lugers were almost custom-made pistols; parts didn't really interchange between them, hence why they numbered everything, down to the screws.  Obviously a lot of the larger parts (barrel, grips, etc) were pretty easy to interchange, but a lot of the internals were basically hand-fitted...IIRC.

Just going by this page (which is non-authorative), I'd say, given it's external condition, probably around a grand? Maybe a little more depending on the condition of the internals, the bore, and the magazine stuck in the well?

Collecting lugers is really more an art form than a science these days...

My $0.02, and please don't take any of the above as more than opinion...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
if it was made in 1911 then it could be 9mm luger have you tried to see if a 9mm rd fits in the chamber? some countries used the .30 luger as the military pistol rd. sounds like it doesnt have any "export" markings? the one I have is marked "Germany" on the receiver.

aluminum bottom mags with extruded metal mag bodies were common in the 1930's

I read that all Lugers imported to the USA during the 1920' & 30's had to be made in .30 luger because of the "Treaty of Versailles" after WWI
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
it is definitely military issue, not commercial because of the "1911" date over the chamber and the serial numbered parts, commercial Lugers did not have dates over the chamber.

it's an early P-08 with a pre-WWII holster, mag loading tool, 1930's magazine.

probably used during WWII thats why it has the late holster & mag
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy some Kroil and soak it in a bucket overnight, then try to get the mag out. Take your time and don't hit it with anything metallic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top